• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

Hulk 1 isn't overpriced, due to it's popularity and tough to find and almost impossible to find in 8.0+ The sky is the limit on this one.

In some way i think it is overpriced right now.

the Hulk 1 explosion just happened last year and the jump was twice it prices.

I saw 2.0s early last year late 2013 not selling for $4000 at several shops and fan expos i attended.

The price doubled in a matter of a year and i think that is too much inflation in that short amount of time.

Kindla like the FF 45 boom.

But since the thread is for 2015, those books are hot right now.

Yeah but FF45 came from very low. Hulk1 price increase doesn't make much sense.

There are probably 15-20 copies of FF #45 for every copy of Hulk #1. Hulk #1 is the toughest early Marvel mega key to get, and is earlier than AF #15. Hulk is a cornerstone of the Marvel universe, and while the Inhumans are getting a movie it is highly unlikely that they get to "household name" status like the Hulk.

You misunderstood Mysterio. Noone of course is arguing that FF45 should be priced higher than H1. Of course H1 is, should be, and at least will continue to be priced higher for a long time.

I think that was obvious to most people.

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all. The place in comics of H1 has been known for many years and there is nothing new that should make prices explode like that. Nothing. If anything Hulk has a smaller part of the limelight now than he did some years ago. It doesn't make any sense - apart from speculation.

FF45 exploded because it came from very low exposure and will get exposure. (just for you Mysterio: That still of course does not mean it will be priced anywhere near H1 nor that it should).

You compared FF #45 to Hulk #1 as if they had similar trajectories and similar reasons for price jumps. Hulk #1 is experiencing an increase that will be much more sustainable due to its status as a truly difficult and early mega key. It was undervalued compared to the much more common AF #15, and was due for a run up. FF #45 exploded due to movie hype that is fickle, and while the book was arguably undervalued before, it's current pricing is very unlikely to be sustainable long term. They're two very different stories.

Yes. The difference, as I have said elsewhere, between the availability and preservation level of 1962 and 1965 Marvels simply cannot be overstated. Those trying to compare books from these two years to each other don't have an understanding of the history and dynamics of the market.

I'll expand the "15-20 copies of FF #45 to Hulk #1" to "there are probably 100-200 copies...if not more...of FF #45 to Hulk #1."

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all. The place in comics of H1 has been known for many years and there is nothing new that should make prices explode like that. Nothing. If anything Hulk has a smaller part of the limelight now than he did some years ago. It doesn't make any sense - apart from speculation.

This is demonstrably wrong, but I'll leave it to others to explain why. Suffice it to say, to say that there's "no reason at all" for one of the original (the second, in fact; Hank Pym was just a throw-away character who was retconned in TTA #35) Marvel SA superheroes, and easily the rarest, to go up in value in this market means one doesn't really understand that part of the market.

RMA, as always you purposefully misunderstand and twist things to suit your own arguments. I never said there was no reason for IH1 to "go up in value". It is a rather scarce book, and an important one, so it is perfectly understandable if it appreciates. It is the magnitude of the increase which is not really within normal (baring speculation) reasoning. Man, why do I bother time and time again spelling things out for you when I know your next message will only be more of the same... (shrug)

Um, it's right up there...

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all.

Yup.

Hulk 1 isn't overpriced, due to it's popularity and tough to find and almost impossible to find in 8.0+ The sky is the limit on this one.

In some way i think it is overpriced right now.

the Hulk 1 explosion just happened last year and the jump was twice it prices.

I saw 2.0s early last year late 2013 not selling for $4000 at several shops and fan expos i attended.

The price doubled in a matter of a year and i think that is too much inflation in that short amount of time.

Kindla like the FF 45 boom.

But since the thread is for 2015, those books are hot right now.

Yeah but FF45 came from very low. Hulk1 price increase doesn't make much sense.

There are probably 15-20 copies of FF #45 for every copy of Hulk #1. Hulk #1 is the toughest early Marvel mega key to get, and is earlier than AF #15. Hulk is a cornerstone of the Marvel universe, and while the Inhumans are getting a movie it is highly unlikely that they get to "household name" status like the Hulk.

You misunderstood Mysterio. Noone of course is arguing that FF45 should be priced higher than H1. Of course H1 is, should be, and at least will continue to be priced higher for a long time.

I think that was obvious to most people.

FF45 exploded because it came from very low exposure and will get exposure. (just for you Mysterio: That still of course does not mean it will be priced anywhere near H1 nor that it should).

You compared FF #45 to Hulk #1 as if they had similar trajectories and similar reasons for price jumps. Hulk #1 is experiencing an increase that will be much more sustainable due to its status as a truly difficult and early mega key. It was undervalued compared to the much more common AF #15, and was due for a run up. FF #45 exploded due to movie hype that is fickle, and while the book was arguably undervalued before, it's current pricing is very unlikely to be sustainable long term. They're two very different stories.

Yes. The difference, as I have said elsewhere, between the availability and preservation level of 1962 and 1965 Marvels simply cannot be overstated. Those trying to compare books from these two years to each other don't have an understanding of the history and dynamics of the market.

I'll expand the "15-20 copies of FF #45 to Hulk #1" to "there are probably 100-200 copies...if not more...of FF #45 to Hulk #1."

This is demonstrably wrong, but I'll leave it to others to explain why. Suffice it to say, to say that there's "no reason at all" for one of the original (the second, in fact; Hank Pym was just a throw-away character who was retconned in TTA #35) Marvel SA superheroes, and easily the rarest, to go up in value in this market means one doesn't really understand that part of the market.

RMA, as always you purposefully misunderstand and twist things to suit your own arguments. I never said there was no reason for IH1 to "go up in value". It is a rather scarce book, and an important one, so it is perfectly understandable if it appreciates. It is the magnitude of the increase which is not really within normal (baring speculation) reasoning. Man, why do I bother time and time again spelling things out for you when I know your next message will only be more of the same... (shrug)

Um, it's right up there...

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all.

Yup.

There's actually two very real reasons why IH 1 "suddenly" jumped in all grades in the last year:

1) Not one, but 2 very public sales in a 9.2 for $320,000. Those were huge and that risen tide raised all boats (grades).

And

2) Hulk's prominent role in Avengers 2 and the continued buzz for another, inevitable Marvel produced Hulk-centric movie, or possible multi-crossover plot line for its next set of movies. (World War Hulk, Planet Hulk, anyone?) (thumbs u

-J.

Great list with well written justifications, but how does SC 4 not make the cut, Sir?

Well, SC4 doesn't make MY list because I am one of the few that doesn't believe the Silver Age started with a re-vamped Flash. No personal prejudice towards the Flash as a character, just taking issues with perspective towards things outside of SC4.

OK, my list, with some commentary.

1. AF 15 (honestly, I would also make this #2-10 on the top 10 Silver Age)

2. Hulk 1 (When I was heavy into Marvel Silver Age, this was the only key I never owned. I couldn't find one in nice enough condition)

3. ASM 1 (To me, the launch of the most important and popular Silver Age characters' own book, with 1st appearances by series regulars & 1st Marvel Comics x-over is pretty darn significant)

4. FF #1 (I really dislike the FF and I grudgingly add FF#1 to the list more for historical significance than anything else.)

5. X-Men #1 (enter: Mutants into the Marvel universe & the introduction of major baddie, Magneto! The mutant age begins here)

6. B&B 28 (1st real Super-team of the Silver Age (sorry, fanboys, but Challengers doesn't count))

7. JIM 83 (Brought concept of multiple realms into the Marvel Universe, later to be used in multiple titles across multiple eras)

8. TOS 39 (Need a butler? How 'bout a mansion? Nukes? No Problem, just call on Anthony Stark)

9. Adventure 247 (Spawned sooooo many characters, good time travel stories, and characters with problems that teens can relate to. Not your daddy's comic book.)

10. Avengers 4 (Re-intro Captain America -- lynchpin to the Avengers, team leader, tactician, and all around symbol of Hope and morality)

Good list and perspective. Not sure I would put Spiderman 1, Adventure 247 or Avengers 4 over Avengers 1, Showcase 4 or Showcase 22. One is the launch of Marvel's premiere superhero team and the others are introductions of hugely popular Silver Age characters and major DC power-houses.

Spiderman 1 is a cool book, but I am not sure a solo title eclipses first appearances of other major characters. Adventure 247 is a source of great stories, but it would be very hard to argue that it is as important to comics as the Avengers, Flash or Green Lantern. Avengers 4 is probably the best of the three you added in my opinion, but while important, the re-introduction of Cap didn't define the SA like the other 3 books did.

Just my 2c

1: AF 15

2: IH 1

3: BB 28

4. SC 4

5: FF 1

6: JIM 83

7: TOS 39

8: AV 1

9: SC 22

10: XM 1

I hear ya, and again, its my personal top 10 list. Yours may vary, however, I do believe ASM #1 is much more interesting and important than Avengers#1. I don't think Avengers #1 featured the 1st appearance of anyone significant, correct?

Also, Avengers #4, with the intro to Cap is critical to the success of the Avengers title. He is the character that acts as a bond/bridge with the current roster as well as future rosters and if it weren't for him, I don't think the Avengers would be nearly as successful as it was/is. for those reasons, #4 is far more significant than Avengers #1.

2. Hulk 1 (When I was heavy into Marvel Silver Age, this was the only key I never owned. I couldn't find one in nice enough condition)

3. ASM 1 (To me, the launch of the most important and popular Silver Age characters' own book, with 1st appearances by series regulars & 1st Marvel Comics x-over is pretty darn significant)

4. FF #1 (I really dislike the FF and I grudgingly add FF#1 to the list more for historical significance than anything else.)

5. X-Men #1 (enter: Mutants into the Marvel universe & the introduction of major baddie, Magneto! The mutant age begins here)

6. B&B 28 (1st real Super-team of the Silver Age (sorry, fanboys, but Challengers doesn't count))

7. JIM 83 (Brought concept of multiple realms into the Marvel Universe, later to be used in multiple titles across multiple eras)

8. TOS 39 (Need a butler? How 'bout a mansion? Nukes? No Problem, just call on Anthony Stark)

9. Adventure 247 (Spawned sooooo many characters, good time travel stories, and characters with problems that teens can relate to. Not your daddy's comic book.)

10. Avengers 4 (Re-intro Captain America -- lynchpin to the Avengers, team leader, tactician, and all around symbol of Hope and morality)

Good list and perspective. Not sure I would put Spiderman 1, Adventure 247 or Avengers 4 over Avengers 1, Showcase 4 or Showcase 22. One is the launch of Marvel's premiere superhero team and the others are introductions of hugely popular Silver Age characters and major DC power-houses.

Spiderman 1 is a cool book, but I am not sure a solo title eclipses first appearances of other major characters. Adventure 247 is a source of great stories, but it would be very hard to argue that it is as important to comics as the Avengers, Flash or Green Lantern. Avengers 4 is probably the best of the three you added in my opinion, but while important, the re-introduction of Cap didn't define the SA like the other 3 books did.

Just my 2c

4. SC 4

I hear ya, and again, its my personal top 10 list. Yours may vary, however, I do believe ASM #1 is much more interesting and important than Avengers#1. I don't think Avengers #1 featured the 1st appearance of anyone significant, correct?

Also, Avengers #4, with the intro to Cap is critical to the success of the Avengers title. He is the character that acts as a bond/bridge with the current roster as well as future rosters and if it weren't for him, I don't think the Avengers would be nearly as successful as it was/is. for those reasons, #4 is far more significant than Avengers #1.

But there is no Avengers 4 without an Avengers 1... :shrug:

Side note - Avengers 1 is the first appearance of the Avengers, arguably Marvel's most popular Superhero team right now. Avengers 4 brings back Cap and kicks off the roster change, but it is just one of hundreds of variations. They redo the team in 16 (closest to modern team), is that more important than 1 as well?

ASM 1 is just a solo title first book, by those standards Iron Man 1 should be on the list as well?

I get it is your list though.

Side note - Avengers 1 is the first appearance of the Avengers, arguably Marvel's most popular Superhero team ever.

Who is making that argument?

For much of the Avengers' history, they played second and third fiddle, first to the FF, and then to the X-Men. The Avengers has only become very popular in the last 3-4 years. For their entire existence before then, they were middle of the road in terms of popularity, at best.

Who is arguing that they are Marvel's most popular Superhero team EVER, and how?

Ive loved both Avengers movies and I wish I had a stack of Avengers 1's and 4's. They sell like hot cakes. I guess I've always just been partial to the XMen since the Byrne run occurred during the pivotal moment in my life where I was just starting to get into comics. Those damn mutants always get me all nostalgic...........sniff.

Side note - Avengers 1 is the first appearance of the Avengers, arguably Marvel's most popular Superhero team ever.

For much of the Avengers' history, they played second and third fiddle, first to the FF, and then to the X-Men. The Avengers has only become very popular in the last 3-4 years. For their entire existence before then, they were middle of the road in terms of popularity, at best.

Who is arguing that they are Marvel's most popular Superhero team EVER, and how?

Come to think of it, after 2 blockbuster films, I think the Avengers are the most popular superhero team ever, if you throw out the white guy comic book collectors from the mix and conducted a poll in the USA and globally. Most residents of developed nations likely have never heard of JLA or the FF. I suppose the X-Men could give the Avs a run for their money for the title "most popular hero team ever." Although the characters haven't changed after 50+ years, the marketing thereof has changed dramatically in just 4 years.

Come to think of it, after 2 blockbuster films, I think the Avengers are the most popular superhero team ever, if you throw out the white guy comic book collectors from the mix and conducted a poll in the USA and globally. Most residents of developed nations likely have never heard of JLA or the FF. I suppose the X-Men could give the Avs a run for their money for the title "most popular hero team ever." Although the characters haven't changed after 50+ years, the marketing thereof has changed dramatically in just 4 years.

Most popular in the last 4 years?

No doubt.

Most popular EVER?

Not even close.

I just took an informal poll of 74.7% of the people on the planet ages 5 and older (can't trust kids under 5, they are straight-up liars). 25% of people declined to answer and the other 0.3% were unable to be reached at the time of my poll.

Of the 74.7% people on the planet, an overwhelming 83.4% of the people identified the Avengers as the most popular superhero team of all time. 13.3% said the X-men, 2.7% said Justice League and 0.3% said Fantastic Four.

So there you have it, Avengers are the most popular superhero team of all time. That is data you cannot argue with! Its science. Numbers. The only thing that might make this more compelling would be for me to write 45,000 words on the history of everything and everyone (doesn't really matter if it is relevant or accurate if it is "history") from my perspective using really really really really really really big words.

:shrug:

Science!

That pretty much sums it up.

One can't just make things up around here, and expect it not to be challenged in light of the facts.

To say that "the Avengers is Marvel's most popular superhero team ever" means one doesn't know, or is willing to ignore, all of Marvel's history older than 4 years.

History more than amply bears this out.

Just took a supplementary poll of people standing in line at the grocery store and 82.3% of them confirmed the original poll results. Since the average age of the people in line is 93 and their common profession is "Comic Historian," I found it hard to argue with them. What are the odds that I would be in line in the grocery store with a bunch of Comic Historians. Random!

You meet people in the darnedest places!

Let's see what the future portends

4 years does not necessarily make a trend

Not at all. and I could see JLA in 2 years being the most popular hero team ever just because the average person might love the concept of the big 3 plus flash, Aquaman and Shazam being on one team. But right now, no hero team has ever been as popular as the Avengers. Wait, that's not true: JC and the 12 Apostles are the most popular hero team ever.

Not at all. and I could see JLA in 2 years being the most popular hero team ever just because the average person might love the concept of the big 3 plus flash, Aquaman and Shazam being on one team. But right now, no hero team has ever been as popular as the Avengers. Wait, that's not true: JC and the 12 Apostles are the most popular hero team ever.

JC....... :cloud9:

Yes, but it did take them a while to catch on. That's why I've just now decided to move 25% of my 401k into X-Force #1's. :banana:

Ok, but you're using the word "ever" to mean something that it doesn't mean.

"Ever" means "throughout (its) history."

Just because Lebron puts up better numbers than Jordan one season, doesn't make Lebron "the greatest player ever." Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Larry; these guys have the legit claim to that title, and they haven't played in decades.

Most popular "right now" does not mean most popular "ever."

As far as "no team has ever been as popular as the Avengers"....I think that is a legitimately debatable point.

Just my 2c

4. SC 4

But there is no Avengers 4 without an Avengers 1... :shrug:

Side note - Avengers 1 is the first appearance of the Avengers, arguably Marvel's most popular Superhero team right now. Avengers 4 brings back Cap and kicks off the roster change, but it is just one of hundreds of variations. They redo the team in 16 (closest to modern team), is that more important than 1 as well?

ASM 1 is just a solo title first book, by those standards Iron Man 1 should be on the list as well?

I get it is your list though.

Are you going to argue that Amazing Fantasy #1 is more important than Amazing Fantasy #15?

[

Ok, but you're using the word "ever" to mean something that it doesn't mean.

"Ever" means "throughout (its) history."

Just because Lebron puts up better numbers than Jordan one season, doesn't quote=zosocane]

make Lebron "the greatest player ever." Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Larry; these guys have the legit claim to that title, and they haven't played in decades.

Most popular "right now" does not mean most popular "ever."

As far as "no team has ever been as popular as the Avengers"....I think that is a legitimately debatable point.

Dude, don't know where you got your definition of "ever" from, but Merriam-Webster defines "ever" as "at any time" or "at all times", so we might be saying the same thing but not expressing it clearly.

I think it's fair to say that there has never been a comic book superhero team "at any time" as popular as the Avengers is right now. Go to many retail stores, there is some type of Avengers gimmick being sold (e.g., Avengers cereal; Avengers soda cans). At my kids' school, it's Avengers lunch boxes and Avengers t-shirts everywhere. Regarding what team has historically been the most popular, maybe that's the X-Men, although Super Friends (i.e., JLA) might come close. I'm guessing that Super Friends cartoon series from the 70s/early 80s was widely broadcast in many, many countries.