• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

OK, my list, with some commentary.

1. AF 15 (honestly, I would also make this #2-10 on the top 10 Silver Age)

2. Hulk 1 (When I was heavy into Marvel Silver Age, this was the only key I never owned. I couldn't find one in nice enough condition)

3. ASM 1 (To me, the launch of the most important and popular Silver Age characters' own book, with 1st appearances by series regulars & 1st Marvel Comics x-over is pretty darn significant)

4. FF #1 (I really dislike the FF and I grudgingly add FF#1 to the list more for historical significance than anything else.)

5. X-Men #1 (enter: Mutants into the Marvel universe & the introduction of major baddie, Magneto! The mutant age begins here)

6. B&B 28 (1st real Super-team of the Silver Age (sorry, fanboys, but Challengers doesn't count))

7. JIM 83 (Brought concept of multiple realms into the Marvel Universe, later to be used in multiple titles across multiple eras)

8. TOS 39 (Need a butler? How 'bout a mansion? Nukes? No Problem, just call on Anthony Stark)

9. Adventure 247 (Spawned sooooo many characters, good time travel stories, and characters with problems that teens can relate to. Not your daddy's comic book.)

10. Avengers 4 (Re-intro Captain America -- lynchpin to the Avengers, team leader, tactician, and all around symbol of Hope and morality)

Good list and perspective. Not sure I would put Spiderman 1, Adventure 247 or Avengers 4 over Avengers 1, Showcase 4 or Showcase 22. One is the launch of Marvel's premiere superhero team and the others are introductions of hugely popular Silver Age characters and major DC power-houses.

Spiderman 1 is a cool book, but I am not sure a solo title eclipses first appearances of other major characters. Adventure 247 is a source of great stories, but it would be very hard to argue that it is as important to comics as the Avengers, Flash or Green Lantern. Avengers 4 is probably the best of the three you added in my opinion, but while important, the re-introduction of Cap didn't define the SA like the other 3 books did.

Just my 2c

1: AF 15

2: IH 1

3: BB 28

4. SC 4

5: FF 1

6: JIM 83

7: TOS 39

8: AV 1

9: SC 22

10: XM 1

I hear ya, and again, its my personal top 10 list. Yours may vary, however, I do believe ASM #1 is much more interesting and important than Avengers#1. I don't think Avengers #1 featured the 1st appearance of anyone significant, correct?

Also, Avengers #4, with the intro to Cap is critical to the success of the Avengers title. He is the character that acts as a bond/bridge with the current roster as well as future rosters and if it weren't for him, I don't think the Avengers would be nearly as successful as it was/is. for those reasons, #4 is far more significant than Avengers #1.

But there is no Avengers 4 without an Avengers 1... :shrug:

Side note - Avengers 1 is the first appearance of the Avengers, arguably Marvel's most popular Superhero team right now. Avengers 4 brings back Cap and kicks off the roster change, but it is just one of hundreds of variations. They redo the team in 16 (closest to modern team), is that more important than 1 as well?

ASM 1 is just a solo title first book, by those standards Iron Man 1 should be on the list as well?

I get it is your list though.

Are you going to argue that Amazing Fantasy #1 is more important than Amazing Fantasy #15?

Clearly not, they are; after all, slightly different things. One is a science-fiction try-out book that had a different plot each issue, the other was a series about a specific superhero team. Yes the team changed over time, but it is fair to say that without the Avengers being created, Cap would have never joined them.

Not sure you can say that without Amazing Fantasy you would have never had Spiderman. Possible, but it is a much more difficult causal link.

We don't need to reduce arguments to ridiculous proportions just to make counter-arguments. Avengers 1 is more important than 4. However, you could argue 4 is more important than most (or all depending on the comparison) other Avengers books.

No need to make it complicated. :shrug:

We should differentiate between "most popular" and "greatest" in these discussions, IMO. There's definitely differences in how these words are defined(interpreted), and I'd suppose how any one thing is viewed in retrospect. Apologies in advance for not taking sides. :eek:

Not at all. and I could see JLA in 2 years being the most popular hero team ever just because the average person might love the concept of the big 3 plus flash, Aquaman and Shazam being on one team. But right now, no hero team has ever been as popular as the Avengers. Wait, that's not true: JC and the 12 Apostles are the most popular hero team ever.

Ok, but you're using the word "ever" to mean something that it doesn't mean.

"Ever" means "throughout (its) history."

Just because Lebron puts up better numbers than Jordan one season, doesn't

make Lebron "the greatest player ever." Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Larry; these guys have the legit claim to that title, and they haven't played in decades.

Most popular "right now" does not mean most popular "ever."

As far as "no team has ever been as popular as the Avengers"....I think that is a legitimately debatable point.

Dude, don't know where you got your definition of "ever" from, but Merriam-Webster defines "ever" as "at any time" or "at all times", so we might be saying the same thing but not expressing it clearly.

That's correct....at any time or at all times. And the Avengers have NOT been the most popular at ANY time during their 52 year history, and certainly not all, until the last 4 years.

I don't dispute that right now, and since 2011, the Avengers have been ascendant...but that is the first time in their history that this has been true.

I think it's fair to say that there has never been a comic book superhero team "at any time" as popular as the Avengers is right now. Go to many retail stores, there is some type of Avengers gimmick being sold (e.g., Avengers cereal; Avengers soda cans). At my kids' school, it's Avengers lunch boxes and Avengers t-shirts everywhere. Regarding what team has historically been the most popular, maybe that's the X-Men, although Super Friends (i.e., JLA) might come close. I'm guessing that Super Friends cartoon series from the 70s/early 80s was widely broadcast in many, many countries.

The X-Men owned the 80's, 90's, and 00's in the exact same way. Same with FF in the 70's.

Super Friends doesn't come close to X-Men, though there wasn't an overlap of the two. Just having a cartoon on TV doesn't make a property the most popular. Lots of comic characters have had TV shows; but that doesn't make them most popular.

ASM 1 is the first issue in what some consider to be Marvel's flagship title, and probably more importantly, the second appearance of Spiderman.

ASM 1 is a little unique because there isn't much of a comparable book in the SA. All of the major DC rebooted SA heroes had runs of several issues in anthology/try out books like Flash and GL in Showcase or JLA in Brave and the Bold. Spiderman just had the one-shot in AF 15 before getting his own series.

To my eyes, the second appearance of Spiderman > Avengers 1 (7th appearance of Iron Man, 8th appearance of the Incredible Hulk, 14th or 15th appearance of Ant-Man, 14th appearance of Thor).

Don't get me wrong, I love Avengers 1. I'm just saying that ASM 1 is unique, and makes for interesting perspectives. Top Ten SA key....maybe, I don't know, but I think the further into the stratosphere that AF 15 goes, the more people will look for ASM 1 as the "other" early Spiderman key.

Hulk 1 isn't overpriced, due to it's popularity and tough to find and almost impossible to find in 8.0+ The sky is the limit on this one.

In some way i think it is overpriced right now.

the Hulk 1 explosion just happened last year and the jump was twice it prices.

I saw 2.0s early last year late 2013 not selling for $4000 at several shops and fan expos i attended.

The price doubled in a matter of a year and i think that is too much inflation in that short amount of time.

Kindla like the FF 45 boom.

But since the thread is for 2015, those books are hot right now.

Yeah but FF45 came from very low. Hulk1 price increase doesn't make much sense.

There are probably 15-20 copies of FF #45 for every copy of Hulk #1. Hulk #1 is the toughest early Marvel mega key to get, and is earlier than AF #15. Hulk is a cornerstone of the Marvel universe, and while the Inhumans are getting a movie it is highly unlikely that they get to "household name" status like the Hulk.

You misunderstood Mysterio. Noone of course is arguing that FF45 should be priced higher than H1. Of course H1 is, should be, and at least will continue to be priced higher for a long time.

I think that was obvious to most people.

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all. The place in comics of H1 has been known for many years and there is nothing new that should make prices explode like that. Nothing. If anything Hulk has a smaller part of the limelight now than he did some years ago. It doesn't make any sense - apart from speculation.

FF45 exploded because it came from very low exposure and will get exposure. (just for you Mysterio: That still of course does not mean it will be priced anywhere near H1 nor that it should).

You compared FF #45 to Hulk #1 as if they had similar trajectories and similar reasons for price jumps. Hulk #1 is experiencing an increase that will be much more sustainable due to its status as a truly difficult and early mega key. It was undervalued compared to the much more common AF #15, and was due for a run up. FF #45 exploded due to movie hype that is fickle, and while the book was arguably undervalued before, it's current pricing is very unlikely to be sustainable long term. They're two very different stories.

Yes. The difference, as I have said elsewhere, between the availability and preservation level of 1962 and 1965 Marvels simply cannot be overstated. Those trying to compare books from these two years to each other don't have an understanding of the history and dynamics of the market.

I'll expand the "15-20 copies of FF #45 to Hulk #1" to "there are probably 100-200 copies...if not more...of FF #45 to Hulk #1."

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all. The place in comics of H1 has been known for many years and there is nothing new that should make prices explode like that. Nothing. If anything Hulk has a smaller part of the limelight now than he did some years ago. It doesn't make any sense - apart from speculation.

This is demonstrably wrong, but I'll leave it to others to explain why. Suffice it to say, to say that there's "no reason at all" for one of the original (the second, in fact; Hank Pym was just a throw-away character who was retconned in TTA #35) Marvel SA superheroes, and easily the rarest, to go up in value in this market means one doesn't really understand that part of the market.

RMA, as always you purposefully misunderstand and twist things to suit your own arguments. I never said there was no reason for IH1 to "go up in value". It is a rather scarce book, and an important one, so it is perfectly understandable if it appreciates. It is the magnitude of the increase which is not really within normal (baring speculation) reasoning. Man, why do I bother time and time again spelling things out for you when I know your next message will only be more of the same... (shrug)

Um, it's right up there...

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all.

Yup.

RMA. I knew it.

Let me try again to spell it in bricks....

The issue is not that IH1 has risen.. as I said I have no problems with that.... it is that is has risen A LOT!!!

And your come back is a quote where I say exactly what I told you to look for...

How can you not seem to understand what I'm writing? And please write a coherent response below like the rest of us do, rather than chopping up things in small blacks of quotes to make it harder for anyone else to follow whats up and down. I think it's good if others can follow this too.

RMA, as always you purposefully misunderstand and twist things to suit your own arguments. I never said there was no reason for IH1 to "go up in value". It is a rather scarce book, and an important one, so it is perfectly understandable if it appreciates. It is the magnitude of the increase which is not really within normal (baring speculation) reasoning. Man, why do I bother time and time again spelling things out for you when I know your next message will only be more of the same... (shrug)

Yup.

RMA. I knew it.

The issue is not that IH1 has risen.. as I said I have no problems with that.... it is that is has risen A LOT!!!

And, as I said, if you don't understand why it has risen "A LOT!!!", you don't understand this current market. This market is in madness right now, and everything is being affected. While speculation certainly drives part of it, I doubt Hulk #1 has risen at a faster rate than other similar books solely because of speculation.

As I said, there's no way for anyone to know that thus and such percentage of the rate of increase is due to this cause, and the same with that cause, and the same with the other.

What we CAN know, though, is that the current market is in absolute euphoria, and money is being spent like water, which gives people the incentive to buy things they might not normally buy in a bear market.

And your come back is a quote where I say exactly what I told you to look for...

Ok. I'm glad we understand each other.

How can you not seem to understand what I'm writing? And please write a coherent response below like the rest of us do, rather than chopping up things in small blacks of quotes to make it harder for anyone else to follow whats up and down. I think it's good if others can follow this too.

I think what needs to be said has been said.

As far as how someone posts, you should concern yourself with how you post, and let others worry about how they post. There is no such thing as how "the rest of us" post. If there is something you don't understand, I'll be happy to clarify, if possible. Everyone can speak, and post, for themselves. That's fair, is it not?

Yup.

RMA. I knew it.

And, as I said, if you don't understand why it has risen "A LOT!!!", you don't understand this current market. This market is in madness right now, and everything is being affected. While speculation certainly drives part of it, I doubt Hulk #1 has risen at a faster rate than other similar books solely because of speculation.

As I said, there's no way for anyone to know that thus and such percentage of the rate of increase is due to this cause, and the same with that cause, and the same with the other.

What we CAN know, though, is that the current market is in absolute euphoria, and money is being spent like water, which gives people the incentive to buy things they might not normally buy in a bear market.

Ok. I'm glad we understand each other.

I think what needs to be said has been said.

As far as how someone posts, you should concern yourself with how you post, and let others worry about how they post. There is no such thing as how "the rest of us" post. If there is something you don't understand, I'll be happy to clarify, if possible. Everyone can speak, and post, for themselves. That's fair, is it not?

Finally you at least respond to what I said (that it has risen too much imo in the recent year) instead of inventing some issue (that I, in your head, said I didn't understand why it had risen at all).

You could have done that from the beginning. Good to see. But please stop twisting stuff like that again - it makes impossible to discuss in any positive manner.

"The market is crazy" is just a weak explanation. While I agree it is an up-trending market and has been for a long time, there is no reason why that should affect IH1 so much more than the first appearances of Thor or Iron-man.

IH1:

70b4fd2df06e98bb670163239ea50af0.png

JIM83:

59a3cd31a7b2c47f78baf82fce8cdc38.png

TOS39:

a844fce0d841d41ab3c03c61a7a0cff9.png

And RMA, just for the record, don't construe what I just said as "you don't understand why IH1 is priced higher than JM83" or however else it might be purposefully misunderstood. If you genuinely don't misunderstand on purpose, then please read my posts again until you are sure you understand what I'm actually saying. I don't really want to have to preempt like this, and I don't with anyone else, but many posts have shown me that I have to with you. Would be good if in the future I don't have to because you don't twist what I'm saying.

"The market is crazy" is just a weak explanation. While I agree it is an up-trending market and has been for a long time, there is no reason why that should affect IH1 so much more than the first appearances of Thor or Iron-man.

IH1:

JIM83:

TOS39:

How about this reason? The market deemed that it was undervalued and it needed to catch up.

All the other keys had already popped. Hulk 1 was due. Just like Strange Tales 110 and recently WWBN 32.

To me, as long as AF 15, SC 4, BB 28, and FF 1 are somewhere near the top, I'm OK with the rest. Divesting personal preference from the rankings is, at best, difficult. This will always skew any emphasis on logic in the equation. I've always thought that the price point of each key is, unfortunately, the best way to determine the hierarchy. People vote with their wallets, and if a book seems overpriced to some, it's likely that they have trouble accepting that the "times they are a changin' ". As much as we like to discuss movie hype and such, the point I don't see mentioned much is that the movie market is not who is buying these books. It is collectors who either want the book, think it is a good investment, or think they can turn them for a profit to fund other purchases. The hype just gives these people courage and justification. Prices and desirability of GA keys have changed significantly over the years due to waning popularity..... this will occur with the SA market as well. After a title hits a certain price plateau a ceiling will appear. Interest will wane for all but the most popular. Hulk has some added appeal because of the shortness of the original run and the "household name" status. Another point to remember is that hundreds of long time collectors are cashing out their runs that were acquired at pennies on the dollar and those windfalls are applied in part to some of the keys they had always wanted, with the rest of the proceeds funding retirement. Eventually, this dynamic will play out. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... as for Avengers......I've watched people avidly collect them for years....cheaply. In the last few years they've been very much in the spotlight, both at the LCS and the theater. The franchise has matured.... and Avengers 1 is STILL the 1st appearance of the Avengers. My guess is that it's value is at about 50% of what it will be 2c

To me, as long as AF 15, SC 4, BB 28, and FF 1 are somewhere near the top, I'm OK with the rest. Divesting personal preference from the rankings is, at best, difficult. This will always skew any emphasis on logic in the equation. I've always thought that the price point of each key is, unfortunately, the best way to determine the hierarchy. People vote with their wallets, and if a book seems overpriced to some, it's likely that they have trouble accepting that the "times they are a changin' ". As much as we like to discuss movie hype and such, the point I don't see mentioned much is that the movie market is not who is buying these books. It is collectors who either want the book, think it is a good investment, or think they can turn them for a profit to fund other purchases. The hype just gives these people courage and justification. Prices and desirability of GA keys have changed significantly over the years due to waning popularity..... this will occur with the SA market as well. After a title hits a certain price plateau a ceiling will appear. Interest will wane for all but the most popular. Hulk has some added appeal because of the shortness of the original run and the "household name" status. Another point to remember is that hundreds of long time collectors are cashing out their runs that were acquired at pennies on the dollar and those windfalls are applied in part to some of the keys they had always wanted, with the rest of the proceeds funding retirement. Eventually, this dynamic will play out. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... as for Avengers......I've watched people avidly collect them for years....cheaply. In the last few years they've been very much in the spotlight, both at the LCS and the theater. The franchise has matured.... and Avengers 1 is STILL the 1st appearance of the Avengers. My guess is that it's value is at about 50% of what it will be 2c

I mostly agree with this. And re IH1 having been undervalued and the recent spike being a correction... That's possible... it is. I certainly think IH1 is an important book but I also think it is relatively overvalued at the moment, but there are some who apparently have wanted it particularly in the last year - for whatever reason.

At least we are now discussing actual issues rather than made up stuff.

IH1:

JIM83:

TOS39:

How about this reason? The market deemed that it was undervalued and it needed to catch up.

All the other keys had already popped. Hulk 1 was due. Just like Strange Tales 110 and recently WWBN 32.

This. Hulk #1 is earlier and much tougher to come by than those books, which had already had their movie spikes. When the tide rises it often lifts all boats, and when one of those boats is a difficult mega key, eventually it starts to look very cheap next to AF #15, TOS #39, and JIM #83.

Alex, before you jump on someone for misinterpreting what you say, you ought to reread your own post first. It's quite reasonable to concede that Hulk #1 has "increased a lot in the past year", which everyone who would care knows, but take issue with the "for no reason at all" part of your statement. If you didn't really mean "no reason at all" then don't write that. We can only see what you type, not what you thought you meant by it. As your statement stands, why wouldn't it be reasonable for someone to question the "no reason at all" part of your statement in a thread discussing such matters? (shrug)

RMA, please keep your arguing and wall of text in CG. We don't need this here in SA.

:(

Don't you guys think you might be taking this a tad too far,RMA is just trying to make a point in an otherwise flawed assumption.If you guys didn't post s tupid sh-t maybe he wouldn't have to post a wall of text.! :boo:

RMA, please keep your arguing and wall of text in CG. We don't need this here in SA.

Don't you guys think you might be taking this a tad too far,RMA is just trying to make a point in an otherwise flawed assumption.If you guys didn't post s tupid sh-t maybe he wouldn't have to post a wall of text.! :boo:

:shrug: You are too nice and reasonable to get caught up in this! No need to defend RMA, he is perfectly capable of posting large walls of text in a language I can only assume is English (hard to tell sometimes, I fall asleep half-way through most his posts while I am checking the "non-sense to English" dictionary) to defend himself.

Regardless, people feel the way they do for a reason. I wouldn't dismiss it because you are close with RMA or like his POV.

:foryou:

:shrug: You are too nice and reasonable to get caught up in this! No need to defend RMA, he is perfectly capable of posting large walls of text in a language I can only assume is English (hard to tell sometimes, I fall asleep half-way through most his posts while I am checking the "non-sense to English" dictionary) to defend himself.

Regardless, people feel the way they do for a reason. I wouldn't dismiss it because you are close with RMA or like his POV.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a complaint about a wall of text that one is too lazy to read from someone who has a quote like "do not write to be understood, write so you can't be misunderstood" in their sig line? Sometimes writing to be understood takes a few lines.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a complaint about a wall of text that one is too lazy to read from someone who has a quote like "do not write to be understood, write so you can't be misunderstood" in their sig line?

:shrug: Irony is fun?

FYI - writing a wall of text doesn't ensure you won't be misunderstood. If anything, the key to clear communication is brevity.

IH1:

JIM83:

TOS39:

This. Hulk #1 is earlier and much tougher to come by than those books, which had already had their movie spikes. When the tide rises it often lifts all boats, and when one of those boats is a difficult mega key, eventually it starts to look very cheap next to AF #15, TOS #39, and JIM #83.

Alex, before you jump on someone for misinterpreting what you say, you ought to reread your own post first. It's quite reasonable to concede that Hulk #1 has "increased a lot in the past year", which everyone who would care knows, but take issue with the "for no reason at all" part of your statement. If you didn't really mean "no reason at all" then don't write that. We can only see what you type, not what you thought you meant by it. As your statement stands, why wouldn't it be reasonable for someone to question the "no reason at all" part of your statement in a thread discussing such matters? (shrug)

Sure, someone can disagree and believe they know why the spike in demand in the recent year (or hoarding creating a limited supply?) in the recent year. That is perfectly fine - and there could be reasons.

But Misterio, and I think maybe you know this... that is not at all what the issue with RMA was.

I said that I did not really see the reason why IH1 had increased a lot. RMA then started carpet bombing with the idea that I had said that I didn't understand why IH1 had increased at all.

I never said that as I am sure RMA knows very well..

. (These days most bigger keys increase, and that is perfectly normal now. What is unusual with IH1 is the size of the increase in the recent period.)

IH1:

JIM83:

TOS39:

Sure, someone can disagree and believe they know why the spike in demand in the recent year (or hoarding creating a limited supply?) in the recent year. That is perfectly fine - and there could be reasons.

But Misterio, and I think maybe you know this... that is not at all what the issue with RMA was.

I said that I did not really see the reason why IH1 had increased a lot. RMA then started carpet bombing with the idea that I had said that I didn't understand why IH1 had increased at all.

I never said that as I am sure RMA knows very well..

. (These days most bigger keys increase, and that is perfectly normal now. What is unusual with IH1 is the size of the increase in the recent period.)

Did he say "at all" or could he have been responding about the past year's activity? As best I could see in glancing back to your exchange it looked like you added the "at all" in your interpretation of what he wrote. One could just as easily have stuck to a more narrow interpretation of the past year (i.e. what was being discussed) and you chose to reinterpret his response and jump to a conclusion.

Back to Hulk #1, if one can hoard a four to five figure book, more power to you. I know that at least one copy came off the market to go into my collection. I bought last year because I didn't want to be permanently priced out of one as the market reset. Same reason I timed my AF #15 purchase. I got lucky both times. I reckon at least some of this activity is collectors chasing copies and drying up supply for resellers, who have to keep competing to keep copies in inventory.

Cmon Oak, are you really defending RMA?

The guy can turn anything into an argument and into a 50 page thread all about him.

Sorry but I stay in these other forums to avoid it. :wishluck: