• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

Still beating the drum for Action 252, it should be on there somewhere. Book has been on fire.

I know it's a great book,but.....

If we were talking top twenty books that would be on it. There are just too many bigger keys that have been at the top,and will continue to dominate.

I'm just saying if BB54 and 60, FF 48 and SS 4(???) and some of those other books are getting honarable mention, then Action 252 should be ahead of them on that list.

Taking it a step further I would like to know what people think are the top 10 Marvel and a different list of the top 10 DC silver books. Marvel dominates the top 10, but DC had some excellent silver age books besides SC 4 and BB 28.

Taking it a step further I would like to know what people think are the top 10 Marvel and a different list of the top 10 DC silver books. Marvel dominates the top 10, but DC had some excellent silver age books besides SC 4 and BB 28.

DC for me would be.

1). Showcase #4

2)Brave and Bold #28

3) Showcase#22

4)Our Army at War #83

5) Flash#105

6)Justice League of America #1

7)Adventure #247

8) Action #252

9)Showcase #17

10) Green Lantern #1

Honorable mention

Flash #123

Hulk 1 isn't overpriced, due to it's popularity and tough to find and almost impossible to find in 8.0+ The sky is the limit on this one.

In some way i think it is overpriced right now.

the Hulk 1 explosion just happened last year and the jump was twice it prices.

I saw 2.0s early last year late 2013 not selling for $4000 at several shops and fan expos i attended.

The price doubled in a matter of a year and i think that is too much inflation in that short amount of time.

Kindla like the FF 45 boom.

But since the thread is for 2015, those books are hot right now.

Yeah but FF45 came from very low. Hulk1 price increase doesn't make much sense.

There are probably 15-20 copies of FF #45 for every copy of Hulk #1. Hulk #1 is the toughest early Marvel mega key to get, and is earlier than AF #15. Hulk is a cornerstone of the Marvel universe, and while the Inhumans are getting a movie it is highly unlikely that they get to "household name" status like the Hulk.

You misunderstood Mysterio. Noone of course is arguing that FF45 should be priced higher than H1. Of course H1 is, should be, and at least will continue to be priced higher for a long time.

I think that was obvious to most people.

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all. The place in comics of H1 has been known for many years and there is nothing new that should make prices explode like that. Nothing. If anything Hulk has a smaller part of the limelight now than he did some years ago. It doesn't make any sense - apart from speculation.

FF45 exploded because it came from very low exposure and will get exposure. (just for you Mysterio: That still of course does not mean it will be priced anywhere near H1 nor that it should).

DC for me would be.

1). Showcase #4

2)Brave and Bold #28

3) Showcase#22

4)Our Army at War #83

5) Flash#105

6)Justice League of America #1

7)Adventure #247

8) Action #252

9)Showcase #17

10) Green Lantern #1

Honorable mention

Flash #123

Pretty good list Oakman.

Btw.. I think you argued yourself in the other thread that JLA1 was more important than Flash105 ;)

I have this:

1)Brave and Bold #28

2) Showcase #4

huge gap

3) Showcase#22

4) Justice League of America #1

5) Flash#105

6) Showcase #17

7) Our Army at War #83

8) Adventure #247

9) Action #252

10) Brave and Bold #25

OK, my list, with some commentary.

1. AF 15 (honestly, I would also make this #2-10 on the top 10 Silver Age)

2. Hulk 1 (When I was heavy into Marvel Silver Age, this was the only key I never owned. I couldn't find one in nice enough condition)

3. ASM 1 (To me, the launch of the most important and popular Silver Age characters' own book, with 1st appearances by series regulars & 1st Marvel Comics x-over is pretty darn significant)

4. FF #1 (I really dislike the FF and I grudgingly add FF#1 to the list more for historical significance than anything else.)

5. X-Men #1 (enter: Mutants into the Marvel universe & the introduction of major baddie, Magneto! The mutant age begins here)

6. B&B 28 (1st real Super-team of the Silver Age (sorry, fanboys, but Challengers doesn't count))

7. JIM 83 (Brought concept of multiple realms into the Marvel Universe, later to be used in multiple titles across multiple eras)

8. TOS 39 (Need a butler? How 'bout a mansion? Nukes? No Problem, just call on Anthony Stark)

9. Adventure 247 (Spawned sooooo many characters, good time travel stories, and characters with problems that teens can relate to. Not your daddy's comic book.)

10. Avengers 4 (Re-intro Captain America -- lynchpin to the Avengers, team leader, tactician, and all around symbol of Hope and morality)

Hulk 1 isn't overpriced, due to it's popularity and tough to find and almost impossible to find in 8.0+ The sky is the limit on this one.

I saw 2.0s early last year late 2013 not selling for $4000 at several shops and fan expos i attended.

The price doubled in a matter of a year and i think that is too much inflation in that short amount of time.

There are probably 15-20 copies of FF #45 for every copy of Hulk #1. Hulk #1 is the toughest early Marvel mega key to get, and is earlier than AF #15. Hulk is a cornerstone of the Marvel universe, and while the Inhumans are getting a movie it is highly unlikely that they get to "household name" status like the Hulk.

You misunderstood Mysterio. Noone of course is arguing that FF45 should be priced higher than H1. Of course H1 is, should be, and at least will continue to be priced higher for a long time.

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all. The place in comics of H1 has been known for many years and there is nothing new that should make prices explode like that. Nothing. If anything Hulk has a smaller part of the limelight now than he did some years ago. It doesn't make any sense - apart from speculation.

FF45 exploded because it came from very low exposure and will get exposure. (just for you Mysterio: That still of course does not mean it will be priced anywhere near H1 nor that it should).

You compared FF #45 to Hulk #1 as if they had similar trajectories and similar reasons for price jumps. Hulk #1 is experiencing an increase that will be much more sustainable due to its status as a truly difficult and early mega key. It was undervalued compared to the much more common AF #15, and was due for a run up. FF #45 exploded due to movie hype that is fickle, and while the book was arguably undervalued before, it's current pricing is very unlikely to be sustainable long term. They're two very different stories.

OK, my list, with some commentary.

1. AF 15 (honestly, I would also make this #2-10 on the top 10 Silver Age)

2. Hulk 1 (When I was heavy into Marvel Silver Age, this was the only key I never owned. I couldn't find one in nice enough condition)

3. ASM 1 (To me, the launch of the most important and popular Silver Age characters' own book, with 1st appearances by series regulars & 1st Marvel Comics x-over is pretty darn significant)

4. FF #1 (I really dislike the FF and I grudgingly add FF#1 to the list more for historical significance than anything else.)

5. X-Men #1 (enter: Mutants into the Marvel universe & the introduction of major baddie, Magneto! The mutant age begins here)

6. B&B 28 (1st real Super-team of the Silver Age (sorry, fanboys, but Challengers doesn't count))

7. JIM 83 (Brought concept of multiple realms into the Marvel Universe, later to be used in multiple titles across multiple eras)

8. TOS 39 (Need a butler? How 'bout a mansion? Nukes? No Problem, just call on Anthony Stark)

9. Adventure 247 (Spawned sooooo many characters, good time travel stories, and characters with problems that teens can relate to. Not your daddy's comic book.)

10. Avengers 4 (Re-intro Captain America -- lynchpin to the Avengers, team leader, tactician, and all around symbol of Hope and morality)

Good list and perspective. Not sure I would put Spiderman 1, Adventure 247 or Avengers 4 over Avengers 1, Showcase 4 or Showcase 22. One is the launch of Marvel's premiere superhero team and the others are introductions of hugely popular Silver Age characters and major DC power-houses.

Spiderman 1 is a cool book, but I am not sure a solo title eclipses first appearances of other major characters. Adventure 247 is a source of great stories, but it would be very hard to argue that it is as important to comics as the Avengers, Flash or Green Lantern. Avengers 4 is probably the best of the three you added in my opinion, but while important, the re-introduction of Cap didn't define the SA like the other 3 books did.

Just my 2c

1: AF 15

2: IH 1

3: BB 28

4. SC 4

5: FF 1

6: JIM 83

7: TOS 39

8: AV 1

9: SC 22

10: XM 1

One thing I love about X-Men #1, and someone touched upon this earlier, is as far as villains go Magneto is probably the biggest baddie to debut since the book was released. You could make a case for Galactus, Darkseid, Thanos and maybe one or two others, but in the 50+ years since its release Magneto is tops for my money. Because X-Men #1 is his first appearance, along with the rest of the original team, I've got a tough time ranking that book behind Avengers #1, which features no other first appearance aside from that of the team itself.

The Avengers have definitely been the source of better movie material. I'm still depressed over how DOFP turned out on the big screen :sorry:

All just my 2c

meh

One thing I love about X-Men #1, and someone touched upon this earlier, is as far as villains go Magneto is probably the biggest baddie to debut since the book was released. You could make a case for Galactus, Darkseid, Thanos and maybe one or two others, but in the 50+ years since its release Magneto is tops for my money. Because X-Men #1 is his first appearance, along with the rest of the original team, I've got a tough time ranking that book behind Avengers #1, which features no other first appearance aside from that of the team itself.

The Avengers have definitely been the source of better movie material. I'm still depressed over how DOFP turned out on the big screen :sorry:

All just my 2c

meh

Personally I am not too caught up in the particular order, more just on the list itself.

I thought DOFP was still a good movie, but the makers took some liberties (they do the same things with all the other superhero movies). I am not a comic purist in the sense that the movies have to be exactly like the comics, they just have to be entertaining and further the popularity of comic characters to make me happy.

I will say the recent Marvel/Disney vs Fox feud is not good for the X-men though. :makepoint:

Collectors decided long ago that silver age X-Men weren't a strong read, and justifiably lagged behind the other silver age titles. Magneto was always the big fish in a small pond, and outside of X-Men fans, didn't matter all that much.

I haven't been tracking TTA 27/35, but does anyone think someone will care about these books a year after the movie has been released? The same people looking for one before the movie hype will still be looking when demand turns frigid again.

Flash 123? Plenty of copies around. Flash is genuinely tough from 105-109 in any grade, gets more common in the teens, is readily available in the 120's, and gets plentiful around 140.

Collectors decided long ago that silver age X-Men weren't a strong read, and justifiably lagged behind the other silver age titles. Magneto was always the big fish in a small pond, and outside of X-Men fans, didn't matter all that much.

I haven't been tracking TTA 27/35, but does anyone think someone will care about these books a year after the movie has been released? The same people looking for one before the movie hype will still be looking when demand turns frigid again.

Flash 123? Plenty of copies around. Flash is genuinely tough from 105-109 in any grade, gets more common in the teens, is readily available in the 120's, and gets plentiful around 140.

Not necessarily the best indicator, but I believe there are half as many Flash 123s on the census as Hulk 1's. Hulk 1's, of course, carry a much larger premium if sold in a Blue label. These numbers, however, are not indicative of the Hulk 1 bring scarce nor the 123 being plentiful.

You compared FF #45 to Hulk #1 as if they had similar trajectories and similar reasons for price jumps. Hulk #1 is experiencing an increase that will be much more sustainable due to its status as a truly difficult and early mega key. It was undervalued compared to the much more common AF #15, and was due for a run up. FF #45 exploded due to movie hype that is fickle, and while the book was arguably undervalued before, it's current pricing is very unlikely to be sustainable long term. They're two very different stories.

Yes. The difference, as I have said elsewhere, between the availability and preservation level of 1962 and 1965 Marvels simply cannot be overstated. Those trying to compare books from these two years to each other don't have an understanding of the history and dynamics of the market.

I'll expand the "15-20 copies of FF #45 to Hulk #1" to "there are probably 100-200 copies...if not more...of FF #45 to Hulk #1."

This is demonstrably wrong, but I'll leave it to others to explain why. Suffice it to say, to say that there's "no reason at all" for one of the original (the second, in fact; Hank Pym was just a throw-away character who was retconned in TTA #35) Marvel SA superheroes, and easily the rarest, to go up in value in this market means one doesn't really understand that part of the market.

Yes. The difference, as I have said elsewhere, between the availability and preservation level of 1962 and 1965 Marvels simply cannot be overstated. Those trying to compare books from these two years to each other don't have an understanding of the history and dynamics of the market.

I'll expand the "15-20 copies of FF #45 to Hulk #1" to "there are probably 100-200 copies...if not more...of FF #45 to Hulk #1."

This is demonstrably wrong, but I'll leave it to others to explain why. Suffice it to say, to say that there's "no reason at all" for one of the original (the second, in fact; Hank Pym was just a throw-away character who was retconned in TTA #35) Marvel SA superheroes, and easily the rarest, to go up in value in this market means one doesn't really understand that part of the market.

RMA, as always you purposefully misunderstand and twist things to suit your own arguments. I never said there was no reason for IH1 to "go up in value". It is a rather scarce book, and an important one, so it is perfectly understandable if it appreciates. It is the magnitude of the increase which is not really within normal (baring speculation) reasoning. Man, why do I bother time and time again spelling things out for you when I know your next message will only be more of the same... (shrug)

RMA, as always you purposefully misunderstand and twist things to suit your own arguments. I never said there was no reason for IH1 to "go up in value". It is a rather scarce book, and an important one, so it is perfectly understandable if it appreciates. It is the magnitude of the increase which is not really within normal (baring speculation) reasoning. Man, why do I bother time and time again spelling things out for you when I know your next message will only be more of the same... (shrug)

Um, it's right up there...

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all.

RMA, as always you purposefully misunderstand and twist things to suit your own arguments.

Please do not make personal comments. It is inappropriate and doesn't belong on this board. If you have an issue with what has been said, conduct yourself professionally and counter it with reason and logic. You may not understand what has been said (and I don't insult you by saying you do it "purposefully")...but that is never any reason to make personal comments like "as always" and "you never", etc.

Save the personal commentary for elsewhere.

I never said there was no reason for IH1 to "go up in value".

Your words, still preserved in this quote nest:

The issue is that H1 has increased a lot in the past year for no reason at all.

Those statements directly contradict each other.

It is a rather scarce book, and an important one, so it is perfectly understandable if it appreciates. It is the magnitude of the increase which is not really within normal (baring speculation) reasoning.

Yes, and that's where you misunderstood what was said. I said "Suffice it to say, to say that there's "no reason at all" for one of the original...Marvel SA superheroes, and easily the rarest, to go up in value in this market .

That covers both the increase and the "no reason at all" rate OF increase. The truth is, no one has any way of gauging how much is a "normal rate of increase/decrease" and how much is "speculation." To say there's "no reason at all" for this rate of increase means you don't understand this market as it exists on May 24, 2015.

Man, why do I bother time and time again spelling things out for you when I know your next message will only be more of the same... (shrug)

I get blamed, sometimes fairly, mostly not, for being "condescending." Let's see if anyone calls you out for this very condescending remark. My guess is, no. Again: save the personal commentary for somewhere else.