• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

doh!

FF 1 is the book that changed the way Marvel Comics were made. This book re-introduced Super Heroes to the company and also used the Cold War as a source of inspiration and basis for the origin of the new line of super-heroes. FF, Spidey, Hulk, Iron Man, etc.,. were all born from the space race, nuclear weapons, unstability in SE Asia, etc. It's a much more important book than AF 15, but AF 15 is obviously the more popular/valuable book.

Showcase 4 leads to Showcase 6 15 22

Big move with Adventure 247 and Brave Bold 28

These lead to FF1 which opens the door to AF 15 and all the other Marvels.

So if importance is defined as what started it all, my vote is Showcase 4

As a character, Flash is probably as popular as FF, maybe a little less. Clearly 2nd tier as of today compared to Batman Superman or Spidey, and Xmen.

But AF 15 as a distinct comic is clearly #1.

FF1 is more important than AF 15 the way that New Comics 1 is more important than Action 1. Historically true, but c'mon man.

As a character, Flash is probably as popular as FF, maybe a little less. Clearly 2nd tier as of today compared to Batman Superman or Spidey, and Xmen.

FF1 is more important than AF 15 the way that New Comics 1 is more important than Action 1. Historically true, but c'mon man.

Yeah.

SC4 re-introduces an updated superhero. This becomes important and sets a first trend of reintroducing super-heroes by DC and Marvel.

BB28 then start the first successful super-hero team for many years. This becomes important because it starts the second trend. JLA1 even shows that superhero teams can do well in their own title, which Marvel then does with FF1.

Marvel follows up on both new trends and eg. creates FF1 which becomes a success and the start to Marvel's future successes.

I am glad a majority added my favorite Dr with ST110

But I think we need to consider the other Doc who is missing from the top ten FF5 is probably one of the biggest Silver Age issues out there. Doom has never lost followers and is the ultimate

Joe Carol

Well said. (thumbs u

I am glad a majority added my favorite Dr with ST110

But I think we need to consider the other Doc who is missing from the top ten FF5 is probably one of the biggest Silver Age issues out there. Doom has never lost followers and is the ultimate

Joe Carol

Yeah, I could easily have had ST110 at the bottom of my list. It's a tough list but ST110 is a great book and is only gaining in importance. Just like AV1 might not have been on many people's lists 10 years ago.

FF5 is good, but far from my top 10 I must say.

Yeah.

SC4 re-introduces an updated superhero. This becomes important and sets a first trend of reintroducing super-heroes by DC and Marvel.

BB28 then start the first successful super-hero team for many years. This becomes important because it starts the second trend. JLA1 even shows that superhero teams can do well in their own title, which Marvel then does with FF1.

Marvel follows up on both new trends and eg. creates FF1 which becomes a success and the start to Marvel's future successes.

Honestly, nothing new came out of DC in the early Silver Age. They recycled existing characters, and even the "team" didn't have an original name (Justice SocietyLeague of America). When Showcase 4 came out (1956, which is generally considered the Atom Age), DC still had numerous ongoing Superhero titles that had never ceased publication going back to the Golden Age.

Starting with FF 1, Marvel re-introduced super-heroes into their line by creating an entirely new universe of characters, a whole new mythos behind them, and a new way of story-telling. The characteristic of Spider-man that make him so popular (he's a kid with real kid problems) were universal to all the Marvel characters, starting with FF 1.

Yeah.

Honestly, nothing new came out of DC in the early Silver Age. They recycled existing characters, and even the "team" didn't have an original name (Justice SocietyLeague of America). When Showcase 4 came out (1956, which is generally considered the Atom Age), DC still had numerous ongoing Superhero titles that had never ceased publication going back to the Golden Age.

Starting with FF 1, Marvel re-introduced super-heroes into their line by creating an entirely new universe of characters, a whole new mythos behind them, and a new way of story-telling. The characteristic of Spider-man that make him so popular (he's a kid with real kid problems) were universal to all the Marvel characters, starting with FF 1.

Wow - good luck with that opinion.

:popcorn:

There was a reason Marvel Comics dominated the comic book industry in the 1960's - their lineup was new, different, exciting, and relatable to their target audience. (thumbs u

(thumbs u That's it in a nutshell. Anything else is revisionist history.

(thumbs u That's it in a nutshell. Anything else is revisionist history.

Or correcting the early history written by Marvel'ites.... history is always written by the winner (until someone comes and has a deeper look perhaps).

:whistle:

Anyway - I will sit back and enjoy this brewing DC vs Marvel feude. I like both so I don't really have a horse in the race, except that I have my opinion about the events.

There is no doubt that what Marvel did from FF1 up to, sa,y DD 1 was nothing short of revamping comics and full on creative genius. Especially superhero comics. But arguably FF were rehashes in their own right. Human Torch and Mr Fantastic were outright revamps. Thing is simply a strong man. Invisible Girl was pretty original but was treated almost as a back up / soap opera character in the early issues. As characters, nothing special. It's everything else and all that follows that make FF1 and all of early 60s marvel so special. That's the flaw with saying that showcase 4 is just a revamp of GA Flash. I can't argue with that fact, but it and everything that followed - Original Villains, Earth II, Justice League etc. make SC 4 the most important book of the Silver Age.

Clearly it was the story telling and interplay with phenomenal artwork that made the entire Marvel Universe work so well and trumps DC tenfold for that era. What followed at DC was not as dynamic or creative as at Marvel but without SC 4, nothing else follows.

Restarting the superhero genre is defined with Showcase 4. During the 1970s to early 1990s FF1, AF 15 and SC 4 were all about the same with various ups and downs. We actually define the start of the Silver Age as Showcase 4 - don't bother me with details on dates and Tec 225 or whatever. Ask 100 SA comic collectors and 90% will say SC 4 as the start of the SA.

Which is more important.

The restart of the superhero genre and the influence it carried forward - Showcase 4

The start of the Marvel Universe and all things Stan Lee related - FF1

The most popular, valuable, and important character in comics since Superman - AF 15

"Which is more important.

The restart of the superhero genre and the influence it carried forward - Showcase 4

The start of the Marvel Universe and all things Stan Lee related - FF1

The most popular, valuable, and important character in comics since Superman - AF 15"

The idea of restarting the superhero genre gets too much credit. SC 4 came out in 1956. Was it really that long for superheroes to be out of the spotlight? 10 years seems to cycle all types of trends constantly.

I think FF1 and the birth of Stan and Jacks Marvel Universe was really the lynchpin for importance, with AF 15 now being universally recognized as the more valuable.

I agree with that. The historical importance of SC 4 has always been overstated. I've been collecting since the mid-70s and never felt it had a strong connection to the SA, even though cited as such in Overstreet. That book along with it's early 60s DC brethren have more in common with the Golden Age than Silver.

I agree with that. The historical importance of SC 4 has always been overstated. I've been collecting since the mid-70s and never felt it had a strong connection to the SA, even though cited as such in Overstreet. That book along with it's early 60s DC brethren have more in common with the Golden Age than Silver.

Agree a 100%. FF1 is more stylistically different than the GA signally an ushering in of a new era than anything DC put out in the mid-50s to early 60s.

Agree a 100%. FF1 is more stylistically different than the GA signally an ushering in of a new era than anything DC put out in the mid-50s to early 60s.

So SC4 didn't really usher in the SA?

And Flash as a concept is not really new...

So.... why is SC4 then still so expensive?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions - but to say SC4 is not arguably the most important silver age book along with FF1 and AF15 is silly :)

I am a fan of both Marvel and DC - but to me there is just something special about the silver age DC mega keys like SC4, SC22 and BB28 (maybe it is the fact that there aren't thousands of them graded that can be readily obtained). I personally (have) and would take those books over a FF1 or an AF15 (unless I was looking to flip then AF15 for the win :) )

So SC4 didn't really usher in the SA?

And Flash as a concept is not really new...

So.... why is SC4 then still so expensive?

Because it's the first appearance of a major DC character... :shrug: