• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

1. AF15

2. SC4

3. IH 1

4. BB28

5. FF1

6. TOS39

7. X-Men 1

8. SC22

9. JIM83

10. AV1

I think the top 8 are locks (yes there has to be 3 DC books - could be more). I would think JIM83 would be on most lists and then the 10th spot is one of AV1, ASM1, AV4, FF5, Action 252, Adventure 247 (I obviously gave the nod to AV1).

Everyone says every first appearance of a SA character who hasn't already exploded is "undervalued."

When does the madness stop?

lol

Actually, everyone doesn't say every first appearance. I (one person) said one. So, to answer your question, that one is where the madness stopped. I think Zatanna's first appearance is still undervalued. End of madness.

A broker squeezed 7k out of someone for a 9.6 around the same time Dr. Strange took off. How undervalued can it be?

Well, if that's not an outlier, then I'd say I'm wrong. But I suspect it's an outlier.

FF 1 over AF 15? Your not serious are you??

I'm dead serious.

The second list is my personal hierarchy, and I consider Fantastic Four #1 to be the most important Silver Age comic book. It wasn't that long ago that LOTS of other people agreed!

I'm dead serious.

The second list is my personal hierarchy, and I consider Fantastic Four #1 to be the most important Silver Age comic book. It wasn't that long ago that LOTS of other people agreed!

+1 If we're talking importance I would put FF #1 over AF #15. There is no doubt that AF #15 is the hotter book and worth more, but as for importance? I'd go with FF #1.

I'm dead serious.

+1 If we're talking importance I would put FF #1 over AF #15. There is no doubt that AF #15 is the hotter book and worth more, but as for importance? I'd go with FF #1.

We have to define "importance" then. Importance to Marvel and the direction of the comic industry, sure. Importance of the character(s), no...not even close.

You can show a picture of Spiderman in one hand, and a picture of any of the FF in the other hand and ask any kid on the streets of Shanghai who the characters are...9 out of 10 will be able to name Spiderman...2 or 3 would probably be wearing a Spiderman shirt. You can't say the same for the FF.

So, TODAY, which one is more "important"?

I'm dead serious.

We have to define "importance" then. Importance to Marvel and the direction of the comic industry, sure. Importance of the character(s), no...not even close.

You can show a picture of Spiderman in one hand, and a picture of any of the FF in the other hand and ask any kid on the streets of Shanghai who the characters are...9 out of 10 will be able to name Spiderman...2 or 3 would probably be wearing a Spiderman shirt. You can't say the same for the FF.

You're describing popularity, not importance.

I'm dead serious.

I'm with you. I would rate FF 1 as the third most important comic ever published, behind only Action 1 and Detective 27 ... and I'm not completely convinced it's less important than Tec 27. :D

I think we're all on the same basic page; no one is disputing Amazing Fantasy's #1 spot, but the historic impact of FF #1 cannot be ignored.

When I see a copy of Fantastic Four #1, I see the birth of the entire Marvel Universe. How each individual weighs the aspects of a comic will always vary, and that variance is part of the fun!

I think we're all on the same basic page; no one is disputing Amazing Fantasy's #1 spot, but the historic impact of FF #1 cannot be ignored.

When I see a copy of Fantastic Four #1, I see the birth of the entire Marvel Universe. How each individual weighs the aspects of a comic will always vary, and that variance is part of the fun!

(thumbs u

Funny thing is, I see soooo many AF15s, more than just about every other Marvel key, when I see an FF1, I always go "Coooool...." There's just something about an FF1, maybe it's the 10 cent price, the white cover, the monster breaking through the ground...whatever it is, it just "feels" vintage and important.

The Marvel mega keys are neat-o-keen in their own right but show me a Showcase 4 and I always want to follow it's sale. Just so few available copies out there relative to the others.

The Marvel mega keys are neat-o-keen in their own right but show me a Showcase 4 and I always want to follow it's sale. Just so few available copies out there relative to the others.

(thumbs u

I'm dead serious.

Disagree. Cancel FF and never do any FF movies and Marvel doesn't miss a beat. Do the same with Spidey and that hurts. I'd say that is pretty important

Everyone says every first appearance of a SA character who hasn't already exploded is "undervalued."

When does the madness stop?

lol

Actually, everyone doesn't say every first appearance. I (one person) said one. So, to answer your question, that one is where the madness stopped. I think Zatanna's first appearance is still undervalued. End of madness.

:jokealert:

I'm dead serious.

Disagree. Cancel FF and never do any FF movies and Marvel doesn't miss a beat. Do the same with Spidey and that hurts. I'd say that is pretty important

So... importance to corporate Marvel due to popularity which leads to income?

Just because FF 1 came out a few months before AF 15 does not mean it is more important. The characters do matter - FF peaked in the mid-60s and has been losing relevance ever since while Spider-Man is the property that has been synonymous with Marvel Comics since the mid 60s. As others have stated, take away Spidey and Marvel does not become the force it was in the late 60s and onwards. However, take away FF and noone would have noticed after issue #60 or so.......

From an established key perspective, FF was still bigger into the 80s, but from an importance to the company/hobby perspective Spider-Man overtook FF in the mid to late 60s and never looked back. This is why I consider AF 15 to be a more important book. FF 1 was the first marvel SA super-hero book, but AF 15 introduced the biggest character Marvel has, and the third most important character in the comic world along with Superman and Batman.

I look at the AF 15 and FF 1 debate the same way I do with Marvel Comics 1 and Captain America Comics 1 in the Golden Age. MC 1 is the "first" Timely/Atlas/Marvel book, but Captain America is the most important GA "Marvel" character and therefore his 1st appearance is a more important book in my view. While MC 1 is more valuable, Cap 1 is more important overall.

I'm dead serious.

They are very very closely related.

FF1 is only important because it was a popular title. If no one had cared about FF1 - it would not be considered important at all.. because it would have had no impact.

I'm dead serious.

FF1 is only important because it was a popular title. If no one had cared about FF1 - it would not be considered important at all.. because it would have had no impact.

A lot of blasphemy going on in this thread. AF 15 more important than FF1? Popular yes,more important no.

If FF1 failed sales wise,do you think we would even have a Spider man,Hulk,Thor or any other New character?

(shrug) Odds are probably no.

I'm dead serious.

A lot of blasphemy going on in this thread. AF 15 more important than FF1? Popular yes,more important no.

If FF1 failed sales wise,do you think we would even have a Spider man,Hulk,Thor or any other New character?

(shrug) Odds are probably no.

I agree - there is a possibility that we wouldn't. FF1 is important. It might also have meant that Marvel would have suffered or maybe or maybe not still have come up with Spidey, but that is really besides the point. So - that is not what we are discussing.

The point is that if FF1 was not popular - then it would also not be important. In other words, if FF1 did not sell, then no-one today would care about it.

The point was that popularity and importance are very very connected.