• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction - Any pickups?

51 posts in this topic

And in fairness, that is only the tip of the shenanigan iceberg where Mr Schmell is concerned. :facepalm:

Yes, this has been discussed at length here.

This still doesn't somehow spread to the people who buy comics from him.

I happen to have a few pedigree comics from a collection where the guy was a murderer. Should I ban that pedigree?

Green River? he wasn't the killer.

Yes, Green River and I thought that was the story. I can definitely be wrong about it though.

And in fairness, that is only the tip of the shenanigan iceberg where Mr Schmell is concerned. :facepalm:

I happen to have a few pedigree comics from a collection where the guy was a murderer. Should I ban that pedigree?

Yes, Green River and I thought that was the story. I can definitely be wrong about it though.

Link.

Link.

Thanks. He was still quite an unsavory character.

Apples and oranges...there is no direct benefit.

However, Doug Schmell deprived his clients of their money and used it to fund his rather impressive comic collection, which in turn he then used to start Pedigree, from which he continues to benefit.

Anybody spending money with him is actually proving that crime does indeed pay.

Apples and oranges...there is no direct benefit.

However, Doug Schmell deprived his clients of their money and used it to fund his rather impressive comic collection, which in turn he then used to start Pedigree, from which he continues to benefit.

Anybody spending money with him is actually proving that crime does indeed pay.

Nick, I respect you and like your business practices please know I'm not directing this in a disrespectful way towards you.

First, I think Doug has paid quite dearly with losing his license and also the amount of negative things said about him over the years. I'm not going to defend the guy for his past actions. They were wrong and he knows it.

I think this Holier Than Thou attitude is a bit much. Can't people make mistakes and not have to pay forever for their crimes? I believe in redemption and I believe in forgiveness.

I've done business with Doug and I haven't seen any evidence that he has scammed anyone in the comic industry. This is my opinion and I respect everyone else's about the matter.

Happy Friday guys! :banana:

Lets see, he tried to pass a known trimmed book from the Ewert time past CGC after he was told it was trimmed. And of course there is him admitting on this board that he manipulated the information he reported to GPA.

Lets see, he tried to pass a known trimmed book from the Ewert time past CGC after he was told it was trimmed. And of course there is him admitting on this board that he manipulated the information he reported to GPA.

linky?

There are also plenty of respected dealers and boardies who buy from Doug all the time (a lot at conventions). The idea that there are only a few people like myself doing business with him is false.

The Ewert thing (based on what I know) is speculation. If there is evidence of this actually happening i'd love to see it.

The manipulating of GPA data.... not a crime even though it's not good for the hobby.

I'll stop posting anything else that seems to defend the man. My bottom line on this is don't bash the people who do business with him. It's ridiculous to do so. If so, there is a long line of people on this very board that you will have to do it to as well.

If people choose to not do business with him, I respect that 100%.

Enjoy the night guys.

Marc

There are also plenty of respected dealers and boardies who buy from Doug all the time (a lot at conventions). The idea that there are only a few people like myself doing business with him is false.

The Ewert thing (based on what I know) is speculation. If there is evidence of this actually happening i'd love to see it.

The manipulating of GPA data.... not a crime even though it's not good for the hobby.

I'll stop posting anything else that seems to defend the man. My bottom line on this is don't bash the people who do business with him. It's ridiculous to do so. If so, there is a long line of people on this very board that you will have to do it to as well.

Enjoy the night guys.

Marc

Proof of the Ewert thing comes down to who you believe, Doug or Brent. I would take Brent's word over Doug's any day given Doug's past. For GPA manipulation, yes, definitely not illegal (as is trying to pass off the Ewert trimmed book or doing what Ewert did for that matter) but I think is shows the level of integrity Doug has. Everyone can buy or not buy from whoever they want. It is ultimately their choice in what they do.

Edited to include this. You are 1000% correct, there are a ton of collectors and dealers that buy from Doug. Doug's business is doing fine I suspect and will continue to do so.

:roflmao: oh jesus

I was looking at the auction results to see final auction prices and now the auctions results have disappeared to make room for the June auction? No way to see results?

Doug was in an awful hurry (shrug) . Usually the results are left up for about 10 days before being taken down. They lasted 1-2 days this time around.

But hey, the Canarsie books are already popping up on ComicLink and ebay for those that didn't get a chance :banana::eyeroll:

Enjoy the night guys.

Marc

I have no problem with people trying to put things right and seeking redemption...more power to 'em. (thumbs u

My problem with this scenario is that Doug continues to make a living from his ill-gotten gains...that's the real crux of my disgruntlement. The connection between 'borrowing' clients' monies, funding a collection with it and then setting up Pedigree to shift it at substantial profit is clear and direct.

If he hadn't have taken his clients' funds, there would be no Pedigree and that's what I can't get along with.

I don't care who people buy from. However, his auction of the Cole Schave collection and the alteration of those books' appearance is something that began to sour me on the hobby. If I was unaware of that incident and I was buying from his auctions, I would want someone to tell me about the situation.

It is 497 pages, but you get the gist of it pretty quick:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7098570&fpart=1

Enjoy the night guys.

Marc

I have no problem with people trying to put things right and seeking redemption...more power to 'em. (thumbs u

My problem with this scenario is that Doug continues to make a living from his ill-gotten gains...that's the real crux of my disgruntlement. The connection between 'borrowing' clients' monies, funding a collection with it and then setting up Pedigree to shift it at substantial profit is clear and direct.

If he hadn't have taken his clients' funds, there would be no Pedigree and that's what I can't get along with.

I understand your point.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought all the money that was taken was paid back. There were no criminal charges of theft. It's pointless to debate the past though because I believe the guy has tried to be a better person.

I've hung out with him and we've talked. This is a person who is trying to be a good person and realizes their mistakes. He's not the devil. Just something to consider.

Something else to ask yourself is who are you bidding against?

I no longer buy from Pedigree cause frankly one guy in front of his computer watching?controlling the auction does not feel right to me.

I had way too many books that somehow ended up just under my maximum bid. So I'm not playing that game again. I dont care what's on offer. I'm out.