• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Somehow PH's Funny Pages 35 morphed into Fantastic 3 (wish all my books would do that).

Now it changed back....?

Ooops, the 'magic camera' just flashed again...

100_0854.jpg

STEVE Got Larson? (yessss)

cloud9.gif

I repeat. cloud9.gif

My oldest comic. This purchase was out of character for me, but I liked the cover artist Ryan and Fred Guardineer story. I haven't read it in a while, so I had forgotten how much fun these are.

FunnyPages2_2.jpg

My oldest comic. This purchase was out of character for me, but I liked the cover artist Ryan and Fred Guardineer story. I haven't read it in a while, so I had forgotten how much fun these are.

FunnyPages2_2.jpg

Congrats Adam! I didn't know you had put your toe in the pre-hero pool. Be careful or you will fall in.

Steve, stop posting, the cover gloss on your books is starting to make me go blind.

Well, you better put a pair of sunglasses on then!

100_1022.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

Steve;

Got my sunglasses on and I can still see that beautiful purple background.

Just another absolutely beautiful book from your collection with a very seldom seen purple colour scheme. : cloud9.giftakeit.gif

FunnyPages2_2.jpg

Congrats Adam! I didn't know you had put your toe in the pre-hero pool. Be careful or you will fall in.

This is from 8 or more years ago so I'm not wading in too fast! tongue.gif

Steve, stop posting, the cover gloss on your books is starting to make me go blind.

Well, you better put a pair of sunglasses on then!

100_1022.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

I'm not only blind, I'm speechless too.

Steve, you continue to shock and awe.

These are truly FANTASTIC books... don't know what else to say... something about the way that flash hits the spine, making the comics look fat and substantial, is a beautiful thing...

hail.gif

The "step-grandfather" of Centaurs as McMahon/Cook (went onto be Funny Pages) started a punch of short term titles that got sold to Ullman and Temerson (Ultem) and merged with Chesler.....

....also notable because this guy in a story by Siegel and Shuster gets a cape and flys a bit and gets a symbol on his chest....hmmm....sounds familiar....jon

oh, paper stock cover like early New Comics and New Fun 9 and 10...

1420818-commag1.jpg

1420818-commag1.jpg.d7ffcde7fff7cbc9ffa828b8103d5871.jpg

FunnyPages2_2.jpg

Here's another Bob Ryan cover from the same time period. Nifty, underrated stuff...

funnypagesvol25.jpg

To keep the thread going, here is Funny Pages Vol #3 Issue #1 from 1937 which according to Overstreet has the Bob Kane "Bruce Wayne tryout" story. Curious that CGC did not note it on the label as I thought it would be of some significance to collectors.

244976358_24a7d8bbfc_b.jpg

Anyway, I'm tempted to crack the slab to see the tryout story. Does anyone know what I may find and if it's worthwhile to check it out...

GE

To keep the thread going, here is Funny Pages Vol #3 Issue #1 from 1937 which according to Overstreet has the Bob Kane "Bruce Wayne tryout" story. Curious that CGC did not note it on the label as I thought it would be of some significance to collectors.

244976358_24a7d8bbfc_b.jpg

Anyway, I'm tempted to crack the slab to see the tryout story. Does anyone know what I may find and if it's worthwhile to check it out...

GE

I wouldn't know, because that's one of the issues I'm missing. PM me if you want to make a nice profit on it.... wink.gif

And I agree, you should crack that sucker and check the tryout story out for yourself! Plus it'll provide more fodder for the "Bob Kane: hero or fraud?" argument currently raging.