• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

And I notice you have an avatar now -- getting pretty tech savy. poke2.gif

Is is from Mystery Men 3 by chance?

Actually, i got "Avatar for Dummies" ( my wife wound up doing it)....

and, of course, it is from Mystery Men 3....(for those who do not know me, that is my favorite comicbook cover, have the church and larson copies (Steve, don't start!) and the Murphy Anderson homage recreation....I know no big time super hero, no monster villian and he is caring a gun....but gosh can that Lou Fine put moition to the drawn page....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

...and, of course, it is from Mystery Men 3....(for those who do not know me, that is my favorite comicbook cover, have the church and larson copies (Steve, don't start!)

Rats - foiled again!

STEVE

Always looking for Larson copies (especially MM3)

Here's a series of 3 neat Funny Pages covers featuring Mad Ming. The later issues of Funny Pages are quite hard to find and are usually prized because of their Arrow covers, but I find this run of 3 hidden within the longer Arrow run to be underrated.

#36 (Larson):

funnypages36.jpg

#37:

funnypages37.jpg

#38 (Larson):

funnypages38.jpg

Wow, those covers are just insane, CM! Never seen any of them before.

That's part of the curse of collecting Centaurs. Some of the issues are so rare that, despite cool covers, they're almost uncollectible because people are barely aware of their existence. These books are from April, May, and June of 1940, right in the sweet spot of early GA superhero books, and yet thanks to horrific distribution they are far less known than, say, Fantastic Comics #5-7 published in the same months (despite covers of comparable quality, in my mind).

Fantastic Comics #5-7 are rightly viewed as scarce. Heritage has offered only 10 non-pedigree copies of those issues over the years, a pretty low number (and I think a few of those 10 were re-sales of the same issue). But how many non-pedigree copies of Funny Pages #36-38 has Heritage offered? One, a #37 in 2.0 with a heavily taped spine.

I think if more copies existed they'd perversely be more collectible, as more people would see the run as attainable and would be shooting for it.

That's part of the curse of collecting Centaurs. Some of the issues are so rare that, despite cool covers, they're almost uncollectible because people are barely aware of their existence. These books are from April, May, and June of 1940, right in the sweet spot of early GA superhero books, and yet thanks to horrific distribution they are far less known than, say, Fantastic Comics #5-7 published in the same months (despite covers of comparable quality, in my mind).

Fantastic Comics #5-7 are rightly viewed as scarce. Heritage has offered only 10 non-pedigree copies of those issues over the years, a pretty low number (and I think a few of those 10 were re-sales of the same issue). But how many non-pedigree copies of Funny Pages #36-38 has Heritage offered? One, a #37 in 2.0 with a heavily taped spine.

I think if more copies existed they'd perversely be more collectible, as more people would see the run as attainable and would be shooting for it.

Without revealing too much of your secrets, where do you find them? Do you just buy them whenever you see one or do you have a hidden source with a stash in the attic?

Without revealing too much of your secrets, where do you find them? Do you just buy them whenever you see one or do you have a hidden source with a stash in the attic?

I just print them up myself. Gerber guides, laser color copier/scanner, a bunch of crappy old Timelys I can use for the paper stock..........presto: "Centaurs"!

Actually, a big key is to find someone selling a Centaur and then engage them in a dialogue. No one with a Centaur has only one Centaur. Another key is having cool books to trade with them, as few Centaur collectors feel as though they get enough cash for their books to make it worth their while to sell them outright.

Great books, CentaurMan - those Mad Ming covers are terrific.

Metro has the Larson 37 FP up for sale, FYI-

The FP 38 and 41 (Gustavson Arrow-rampaging Lion) are two covers that always generate a lot of interest.

Also, the last issue (42) is very scarce IMHO.

STEVE

Got Larson?

Wow, those covers are just insane, CM! Never seen any of them before. Beautiful copies too. hail.gif

How are the stories & art inside?

I flipped when I saw them. They are truly fantastic in hand, especially the 38. I read the Mad Ming stories last night as I was scanning them, and the interior art is pretty cool. The stories though (like a lot of golden age tales) read like they were written by autistic twelve year old.

#38 (Larson)

hail.gif Larson copy or not. That is one sweeeet cover from Mad Ming in the fore-ground hailing us to witness the burning to the eye-glooing eerie and allegorical smoke dragon to the blue background bleeding through the logo to the fact that it seems the story involves all people of the same ethnic origin and doesn't pit the East to the West. All around cool.

More please, show us more popcorn.gif

The stories though (like a lot of golden age tales) read like they were written by autistic twelve year old.

893whatthe.gif I didn't know Timulty was that old to have been able to write for Centaur! poke2.gif

Nice avatar. I got outbid on a copy of that not long ago. frown.gif

The stories though (like a lot of golden age tales) read like they were written by autistic twelve year old.

893whatthe.gif I didn't know Timulty was that old to have been able to write for Centaur! poke2.gif

Really!? I must have missed it. I do keep an eye out for those, if only to see the prices. What's the attraction? It's not your typical book.

Hey, what did I do to merit that comment? frown.gif

Really!? I must have missed it. I do keep an eye out for those, if only to see the prices. What's the attraction? It's not your typical book.

I will PM you. Don't want to derail the thread further...

Hey, what did I do to merit that comment? frown.gif

confused.gif Yeah Scrooge, what gives. 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif You certainly put this in terms I can understand! (Still need #5 & #7 myself...maybe someday...)

That #38 cover is amazing - cool little run - I'd never even heard of Mad Ming until now! I'll confess to not really appreciating Centaurs, but if I ever decide to look for one, I now know which issue I'd go for (impossible to find as it is).

Scrooge - do you really have to ask what the appeal of Air Fighters #2 is to any GA fan? I think your avatar pretty much explains it. I'd love a copy myself, but admittedly I don't really look for it.