• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 11:02 PM, PreHero said:

Well, if you have only one left in box, this is a good choice - and one I still need!  Agree, I'd leave it untouched too.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of Bill Everett's artwork and early examples are tougher to find and usually really expensive. I actually have an incomplete copy too, that I keep forgetting about.  (thumbsu

On 6/21/2023 at 9:24 PM, circumstances said:

The supplements came up for sale a few years ago, and I asked Rick what they were.

He told me, but I can't remember the details.

Copies appeared in 2019 CC and HA auctions (earliest I could find).  Since then several copies have sold on boards and HA.  Most common issues are issues #1, 11, and 12, though a #2 exists.  

So far all copies are higher grade (many 9.4 or better).  Guessing they were a publisher-type find of unused samples used to pitch concept to newspapers.  Only the first issue has header for March 5, 1937 edition of Lake Charles American Press.  Appears they were intended as a weekly newspaper insert, which would've pre-dated Spirit sections by 3 years!

If you remember more, please post it.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:29 PM, mwotka said:

Let's keep this thread rolling.  I have been fortunate to pick up a couple Stars recently.  These are just loaded with early art from many of the golden age greats, including epic historical illustrations from HC Kiefer, adventure stories from Rafael Astarita, sci-fi/adventure from Clem Gretter, animal comics from MR. Ryan (who I think gives Walt Kelly a run for his money), early Creig Flessel work, a Biro cover, and Fred Guardineer (who takes over sci-fi duties by #6).  These are worth checking out on comicbookplus, if you have not already done so.  

Star Comics 2.jpg

Star Comics 6.jpg

Very Nice! Congrats!

On 6/27/2023 at 11:29 AM, mwotka said:

Let's keep this thread rolling.  I have been fortunate to pick up a couple Stars recently.  These are just loaded with early art from many of the golden age greats, including epic historical illustrations from HC Kiefer, adventure stories from Rafael Astarita, sci-fi/adventure from Clem Gretter, animal comics from MR. Ryan (who I think gives Walt Kelly a run for his money), early Creig Flessel work, a Biro cover, and Fred Guardineer (who takes over sci-fi duties by #6).  These are worth checking out on comicbookplus, if you have not already done so.  

Star Comics 2.jpg

Star Comics 6.jpg

Great pick-ups!  Didn't appreciate Ryan art when I was first searching for Centaurs, but once I had one in hand, that changed.  Really sharp copy of Star #6!

On 6/27/2023 at 1:29 PM, mwotka said:

Star Comics 2.jpg

Star Comics 6.jpg

These are both SO early and rare! I had a Star Comics #6 decades ago but never owned a Star #2. A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to pick up some original art to Star Comics #2. This is a Fred Schwab end page from the King Kole's Kourt story and what it looks like in the comic.

Star Comics 2 King Kole's Kourt Fred Schwab end page.jpg

Star Comics 2 King Kole's Kourt Fred Schwab end page pp.jpg

On 7/12/2023 at 11:59 PM, mwotka said:

These are kinda fun too.  I love the oversize format thru 6.  And the covers to 3 and 4 crack me up.  

Star Ranger 3.jpg

Star Ranger 4.jpg

Star Ranger 7.jpg

VERY cool to see these!!! I had a copy of the Star Ranger #3 at the same time I had the Star #6 and they both went to Bob Beerbohm in the late 90s. I really liked the oversized format too!!! Thanks for sharing these!!! Brings me right back to when I used to have them!!!  (thumbsu

I know I've posted this elsewhere, but I don't think I've posted it here. This is an original art page from Star Ranger #2 by Creig Flessel of the character Bull Moose. Cover dated April 1937, it's the only Flessel art that I have and likely ever WILL have. I will also include a pic of what it looks like in the printed comic form.

Star Ranger 2 Bull Moose Creig Flessel (2).jpg

Star Ranger 2 Bull Moose Creig Flessel pp.jpg

On 7/13/2023 at 12:03 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I know I've posted this elsewhere, but I don't think I've posted it here. This is an original art page from Star Ranger #2 by Creig Flessel of the character Bull Moose. Cover dated April 1937, it's the only Flessel art that I have and likely ever WILL have. I will also include a pic of what it looks like in the printed comic form.

Star Ranger 2 Bull Moose Creig Flessel (2).jpg

Star Ranger 2 Bull Moose Creig Flessel pp.jpg

:applause:Nice art pieces Frisco!