• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an explanation why there are no 3.5's on the census and why the cgc number says no results found on this Detective Picture Stories 5 on Goldin? 

# 4356456013

https://goldin.co/item/detective-picture-stories-5-1937-comics-magazine-co83vi4?queryId=eyJxdWVyeUlkIjoiYjE2ZGRiYjE3NzJkNzc3ODYzOWM2YjcyZmI5ZGQyNGEiLCJjYXJkSW5kZXgiOjIxfQ%3D%3D  

Opera Snapshot_2024-02-17_070245_goldin.co.png

Edited by Professor K

On 2/4/2024 at 11:45 AM, mwotka said:

Did anyone watch/bid on the MCS Oxford Collection of GA #1s auction?  They had some incredible books including Star 1 raw vg+ for $6K, Star Ranger 1 in 4.0 for $1800, AMF 1 in 7.0 for $9K, Detective Eye 1 in 8.0 at almost $5K, Little Giant Movie Funnies 1 in 8.0 for $3300, Uncle Joe's Funnies in 3.0 for $975, and a Comics Magazine 1 in 6.5 that did around $23K(!).  The graded books were all CBCS but seemed like that didn't hurt things too much given the scarcity (although a few seemed over-graded).  Frankly it was the most impressive offering of extremely rare books in one auction that I've seen in a long time.  Sadly got shut out on my bid attempts...

I looked at that auction but skipped bidding because of the grading company that was used.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:21 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I looked at that auction but skipped bidding because of the grading company that was used.

Haven't you heard of the strategy to Buy Low and Sell High  or to buy when things are out of favor?  :gossip:

Case in point, if you had brought up the Slightly Restored rare and HTF GA books when CGC first started up and everybody was avoiding the PLOD books like the dreaded plague back then, you would be sitting in a pretty sweet spot right now.  hm  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/17/2024 at 4:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Haven't you heard of the strategy to Buy Low and Sell High  or to buy when things are out of favor?  :gossip:

Case in point, if you had brought up the Slightly Restored rare and HTF GA books when CGC first started up and everybody was avoiding the PLOD books like the dreaded plague back then, you would be sitting in a pretty sweet spot right now.  hm  :banana:

I  don't buy books to sell, I buy them to keep. I have nothing but pity for people who collect for profit because I know that they lack the ability to just relax and enjoy the hobby.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:59 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I  don't buy books to sell, I buy them to keep. I have nothing but pity for people who collect for profit because I know that they lack the ability to just relax and enjoy the hobby.

I buy books mostly to keep as well. But when I run into a bargain that I can sell for a profit to buy more keepers, I jump all over it. My collection is totally self funded and has always been so. Problem is, I’m at the point where a lot of I still want I’m pretty much priced out of. Playing with the “house’s money” makes my keepers a lot more a reality.

And, yeah, I have always enjoyed the heck out of my collection.

We all collect any way we can.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:59 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Why judge? I love comics, the history of comics and making a profit on comics. Since I was 8. I say to itch his own. 

On 2/17/2024 at 9:38 PM, ThothAmon said:

Why judge? I love comics, the history of comics and making a profit on comics. Since I was 8. I say to itch his own. 

I was referring to people who are in the hobby only for profit (or aspirations of profit). I probably should have heeded the sage advice not to feed the trolls.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:03 AM, Professor K said:

Does anyone have an explanation why there are no 3.5's on the census and why the cgc number says no results found on this Detective Picture Stories 5 on Goldin? 

# 4356456013

https://goldin.co/item/detective-picture-stories-5-1937-comics-magazine-co83vi4?queryId=eyJxdWVyeUlkIjoiYjE2ZGRiYjE3NzJkNzc3ODYzOWM2YjcyZmI5ZGQyNGEiLCJjYXJkSW5kZXgiOjIxfQ%3D%3D  

None of the Centaurs showed up on census, but that didn't appear to hurt bidding - $5,218 w/BP!  Uncommon book with a tough black cover.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Buy when competition low!

On 2/17/2024 at 5:57 PM, Robot Man said:

I buy books mostly to keep as well. But when I run into a bargain that I can sell for a profit to buy more keepers, I jump all over it. My collection is totally self funded and has always been so. Problem is, I’m at the point where a lot of I still want I’m pretty much priced out of. Playing with the “house’s money” makes my keepers a lot more a reality.

And, yeah, I have always enjoyed the heck out of my collection.

We all collect any way we can.

I wince when thinking of the books I passed on because I had a copy or wasn't on my want list!  Slow to learn I could turn books I didn't want into those I did!

On 2/17/2024 at 6:38 PM, ThothAmon said:

Agree, not everyone has unlimited funds, plus interests change.  If it wasn't for dealers, I wouldn't have much of a collection.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:03 AM, Professor K said:

# 4356456013

On 2/18/2024 at 1:56 AM, PreHero said:

None of the Centaurs showed up on census, but that didn't appear to hurt bidding - $5,218 w/BP!  Uncommon book with a tough black cover.

I only checked this one.I couldn't find the CGC # either. What would cause a book or books to not show up not just on the census but on the verification page as well? 

I saw what it sold for but I'm wondering why there is no record of this book on CGC. 

On 2/18/2024 at 10:43 AM, Professor K said:
On 2/17/2024 at 10:56 PM, PreHero said:

I only checked this one.I couldn't find the CGC # either. What would cause a book or books to not show up not just on the census but on the verification page as well? 

I saw what it sold for but I'm wondering why there is no record of this book on CGC. ???

Yes, also totally perflexing to me and hopefully just a glitch in their census data and not another scam that's about to hit CGC.  ???

Maybe we need somebody like @CGC Mike to dig into the reason for this "missing link" here.  (thumbsu  :)

On 2/18/2024 at 2:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, also totally perflexing to me and hopefully just a glitch in their census data and not another scam that's about to hit CGC.  ???

Maybe we need somebody like @CGC Mike to dig into the reason for this "missing link" here.  (thumbsu  :)

Yeah that would be good. I only noticed because I was going to try to grab it. I did write to Goldin but got kind of a generic response saying the book represents 1/12 of the census but they'll look into it further. Now I'm just curious why it's not showing up. # 4356456013 

Opera Snapshot_2024-02-18_152309_goldin.co.png

Edited by Professor K

On 2/18/2024 at 3:22 PM, Professor K said:

Yeah that would be good. I only noticed because I was going to try to grab it. I did write to Goldin but got kind of a generic response saying the book represents 1/12 of the census but they'll look into it further. Now I'm just curious why it's not showing up. # 4356456013 

It's a Detective book so they're being mysterious?

On 2/18/2024 at 3:22 PM, Professor K said:

It does take some time for books to show up, right? Maybe it was JUST graded (i.e., this month).

On 2/17/2024 at 9:44 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

No, I was referring to my initial post.

I think we all dislike those speculator type only in it for the money people as much as you. But it is nice when you know the books you bought in the past could now be sold for more than you got them for even if you have no intention of ever selling any of them. :peace:

Edited by Professor K

Speaking about Detective Picture Stories, I remember back in the day how much I wanted a copy of of the first issue because it was from the real HTF year of 1936 and with green being my favorite color, I also just wanted a copy with that beautiful green cover.  Sadly, every copy I came across at the time was either restored or just not quite nice enough for my taste.  Now looking backwards, that was clearly a mistake since I never ever managed to acquire one before it got out of my price range.  doh!

Books from this short run are really tough to find with the first issue actually having the highest census count at 15 Universal graded copies followed closely by DPS #5 with a total 12 Universal graded copies.  Looks like the real toughies in this short run though are DPS #4 and DPS #3 with only a scant 4 and 5 Universal copies graded to date respectively.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 2/18/2024 at 5:20 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'll see what's up with this.  (thumbsu

That was quick - numbers now appear in census!  

Late for this auction, but this capability is really handy when interested in a book.