• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Following Ciorac's lead, here are some other pages of interest from Centaur interiors.... I don't have a lot of Centaurs , and have posted practically all of them, so this will let me contribute something new.

This is an awesome house ad from the same issue as the previous post (funny pages 3/9), back inside cover. Great Everett art!

1568746-amanadPOST.jpg

Hmmm... you know what I would like to see (Steve), a shot of the Everett splash page from AMF 2/5! Wow, that WOULD be something!

poke2.gif

Outstanding ad by Everett!

Here are some interior shots from the Amazing Mystery Funnies I posted along with the Detective Eye the other day.

Perhaps the genesis for the name of the company?

centaur.jpg

Should be embarrassed that I thought that Speed Centaur was a centaur?

For Jack Selegue

scientist.jpg

AWP! Don't get me hooked on scarce Centaur books worth thousands (?) of bucks!

Cool page though -- thanks for posting it.

Does Linton do any Stupid Chem Tricks?

Yakety-frickin'-yak -- the pages are over half text! That upper left panel of p 2 is hilarious. Is Linton the guy in the turban?

Here's the scoop on Jon Linton from a www page. I love these tales of the future set in the far-off year 2000.

Jon Linton. Jon Linton is a "flyer, scientist, adventurer" who fights against the evil alien Nogos in the year 2000 on "Quinton, Land of the 5th Dimension." Jon does this with the help of his friends Dr. Kane, Lisa Kane (Jon's sweetie), and Alpha-712, a native of Quinton who can "make from mental force anything they have seen or understand." After beating the Nogos Jon et al travel back in time and arrive on Earth in the year 1940.

First Appearance: Wham Comics #1 (Centaur)

Thanks,

Jack

Here's my CA copy of FUNNY PAGES vol.3/#9 with the markings. I think someone mentioned a few pages back that the collection came from an art instructor? Don't quote me on that (someone else can probably verify that).

The page is from a nice Tarpe Mills jungle story ... that woman could DRAW!!! She is one of my fav's (and quite attractive if I remember correctly from a publicity photo).

1568736-FP3%3A9intPOST.jpg

For the sake of comparison:

1568975-FP032.jpg

Odd that GCD credits the cover to Gustavson. That's Mills' signature at lower right, isn't it?

I didn't realize that Tarpe was a woman.

Jack

Here are some interior shots from the Amazing Mystery Funnies I posted along with the Detective Eye the other day.

centaur.jpg

For Jack Selegue

scientist.jpg

Yakety-frickin'-yak -- the pages are over half text! That upper left panel of p 2 is hilarious. Is Linton the guy in the turban?

No, Linton is in the green shirt. No stupid chem tricks in this issue. The Villain

(Satan-Rex) is the evil chemist.

And Speed Centaur is a Centaur. You just can't tell in the page I posted.

Jon Linton. Jon Linton is a "flyer, scientist, adventurer" who fights against the evil alien Nogos in the year 2000 on "Quinton, Land of the 5th Dimension." Jon does this with the help of his friends Dr. Kane, Lisa Kane (Jon's sweetie), and Alpha-712, a native of Quinton who can "make from mental force anything they have seen or understand." After beating the Nogos Jon et al travel back in time and arrive on Earth in the year 1940.

First Appearance: Wham Comics #1 (Centaur)

Actually, Jon Linton started a year ealier in AMF 2/11 (as noted in Overstreet).

I don't own a Wham #1, but it may be a reprint of the first story I don't know.

When the Guide says "begins", as it does with Wham #1, it can simply mean the first appearance in that particular title (though as a first issue, that should be rather obvious).

STEVE

Odd that GCD credits the cover to Gustavson. That's Mills' signature at lower right, isn't it?

Right - FP 3/9 is a signed Tarpe Mills cover. I'd LOVE to see an actual picture of what she looked like.

'Tis true - and a lot of people don't realize that Claire Moe, another artist who worked with Centaur, was a man.

STEVE

centaur.jpg

For Jack Selegue

scientist.jpg

No, Linton is in the green shirt. No stupid chem tricks in this issue. The Villain

(Satan-Rex) is the evil chemist.

Isn't that description extraneous? (Just ask my Organic Chem II class)

And Speed Centaur is a Centaur. You just can't tell in the page I posted.

Aha. Is he the character on the right in the splash? I saw it as someone riding a horse.

Jack

Correction: the pic is courtesy of Rhino's wife. Rhino is the diver who is face to face with a massive tiger shark, one of the most dangerous fish in the sea (it's the same kind and roughly the same size of shark that tore off young surfer Bethany Hamilton's arm a couple of years ago). If that had been me instead of Steve down there, I'd have pooped the ol' wetsuit for sure! foreheadslap.gif

gossip.gif Pic is courtesy Rhino from one of his diving trips.

Steve_Tiger.jpg

Jack, it's time for you to pick up a remaindered copy of Trina Robbins' The Great Women Cartoonists book. It's a great read for cheap. Here's the included pic of Tarpe Mills herein -

1569059-TarpeMillsPhoto.jpg

1569059-TarpeMillsPhoto.jpg.39e0869e07ead42d82f71a3fd2fd2001.jpg

And lastly, my favorite page from the first Masked Marvel appearance, KEEN DETECTIVE FUNNIES vol.2 #7 ... this is what its all about!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

1568759-KDFintPOST.jpg

Amen to that, brother.

KDF 2/7 is a very scarce book, and truly undervalued IMHO.

This is the New Hampshire copy - very slight resto (c/t to bottom corner nicks) but blazing colors and pure white pages. A great book, Centaur or otherwise...

100_0891.jpg

STEVE

Jack, it's time for you to pick up a remaindered copy of Trina Robbins' The Great Women Cartoonists book. It's a great read for cheap. Here's the included pic of Tarpe Mills herein -

Yowzah! No mistaking her for a man (or A-Man).

Thanks for the pic and the tip. I've been meaning to pick that book up some day.

Jack

(why does the word "cheap" show up so often in posts addressing me? 27_laughing.gif)

Thanks a lot, Scrooge, for posting that info and esp. the photo!! I searched for it on the net, but to no avail!

There is a great one shot story of her's in AMAZING MAN #6, called "The Ivy Menace". Cool story.

And to Steve: that is an awesome KDF 2/7 ... but I'd expect no less from your collection!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tarpe 's a Cutie!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif Makes us even love her more , her Art that is.makepoint.gifgrin.gif

And lastly, my favorite page from the first Masked Marvel appearance, KEEN DETECTIVE FUNNIES vol.2 #7 ... this is what its all about!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

1568759-KDFintPOST.jpg

Amen to that, brother.

KDF 2/7 is a very scarce book, and truly undervalued IMHO.

This is the New Hampshire copy - very slight resto (c/t to bottom corner nicks) but blazing colors and pure white pages. A great book, Centaur or otherwise...

100_0891.jpg

STEVE

Steve , great book as always . I agree , undervalued . Now let's hope the prices don't go up till I get a copy!! tongue.gifgrin.gif

There is a great one shot story of her's in AMAZING MAN #6, called "The Ivy Menace". Cool story.

Did someone mention A-Man 6?

I know I've a few of those laying around somewhere.....ah, here's one:

100_1512.jpg