• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Holy *spoon*ing mother of *spoon*ing *spoon*!

$400??!?? My god.....

I mean seriously, how the Sam Hill am I supposed to assemble a full run of Centaurs in today's market???

I need to take a walk.....

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif

Here's a pretty lame cover, Funny Pages v3#5 from 1939. This is a very tough book (a 27 on my scarcity index). I've now got 31 of the 37 issues of Funny Pages, and the six I'm missing are all obscure humor covers like this, very hard to find but not in demand either.

funnypagesvol-2.jpg

The latest Alter Ego has an interview with Martin Filchook -- including a number of scans of story pages and covers he did for Centaur.

Here's a pretty lame cover, Funny Pages v3#5 from 1939. This is a very tough book (a 27 on my scarcity index). I've now got 31 of the 37 issues of Funny Pages, and the six I'm missing are all obscure humor covers like this, very hard to find but not in demand either.

funnypagesvol-2.jpg

CM----Want to tell the troops what lies behind this rather innocuous cover??

1589396-funnypagesarrow.jpg

1589396-funnypagesarrow.jpg.88a73d1bddf00f01290d2e4afe6af13d.jpg

funnypagesvol-2.jpg

It's in demand in my house!

funnypagesvol-2.jpg

CM;

That's an outstanding book to have and extremely tough. thumbsup2.gif

Would this be the highest scoring issue from the Funny Pages run according to your "Windex" scarcity rating charts? I can certainly see how additional copies of low-demand issues would have a significant impact on the index.

I wouldn't necessarily say, however, that this particular issue is not in demand as these later issues all have the Arrow appearances in them. Now I can certainly understand humour issues prior to Volume 2 #10 being in low demand.

BTW: What was the original rating on the All-American #7 before it effectively got downgraded?

1589433-FunnyPages2-10.jpg

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Now that's a really key issue of Funny Pages to own! Extremely tough to find these books all the way from back in 1938.

Any idea as to what the true market value would be on this particular issue? Not sure if this book is fairly valued or slightly undervalued in guide since it is a very early first appearance that is listed for less than $5K in top guide. Maybe it's the humour cover that 's keepig prices down on this particular issue?

Thanks;

Now that's a really key issue of Funny Pages to own! Extremely tough to find these books all the way from back in 1938.

Any idea as to what the true market value would be on this particular issue? Not sure if this book is fairly valued or slightly undervalued in guide since it is a very early first appearance that is listed for less than $5K in top guide. Maybe it's the humour cover that 's keepig prices down on this particular issue?

Thanks;

The thing that keeps prices down is lack of sales. The books are so rare that there are simply no data points to go by.

1589433-FunnyPages2-10.jpg

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Thanks;

That's a critical Centaur, v2#10, with the first appearance of The Arrow hidden in those pages. I liken it to Feature Comics #27, first Doll Man, which also has a nondescript funny cover, also has very few sales data points, and also sells for many multiples of guide when it comes available.

Here's my Funny Pages "Windex" ranking for scarcity (higher is tougher):

v1#6:....24

v1#7:....22

v1#8:....22

v1#9:....22

v1#10:..19

v1#11:..19

v2#1:....15

v2#2:....19

v2#3:....19

v2#4:....15

v2#5:....17

v2#6:....15

v2#7:....18

v2#8:....16

v2#9:....18

v2#10:..25

v2#11:..16

v2#12:..24

v3#1:....20

v3#2:....20

v3#3:....27

v3#4:....27

v3#5:....27

v3#6:....24

v3#7:....23

v3#8:....18

v3#9:....23

v3#10:..26

v4#1:....18

35:........19

36:........21

37:........21

38:........23

39:........24

40:........26

41:........24

42:........25

Keep in mind that with books this scarce, it's much tougher to assemble an accurate gauge of scarcity, but I think this is at least directionally correct. Also keep in mind that the single toughest issue of Sub-Mariner scored a 21, which gives you an idea of how tricky even a basic issue of Funny Pages can be.

For perspective, other books scoring a 27 on my system include All-American #3, #7, and #10, Amazing-Man #26, Amazing Mystery Funnies #23, and Fantastic Comics #19.

For more perspective, I consider ratings of 12-14 as pretty tough, and 15-18 as challenging. Books scoring a 15 on my system include Action #1 and Detective #27. All-American #16 is a 16, and Adventure #40 is a 17. Detective Comics #1 is a 19, while Action #7 is a 20. The infamous Fantastic Comics #3 is a 24.

Batman #1 is a 9, and All-Flash #1 is an 8.

I don't have any idea. I know that a 27 is virtually impossible to find, but I'm not skilled at translating that into population numbers. This index is primarily designed with relative scarcity in mind. A 27 is clearly scarcer than a 21, which is clearly scarcer than a 15. Once I've got numbers on a few thousand books, I think it'll be relevant even without the population data.

For someone like myself who tends to prize scarcity above grade, it's invaluable. It tells me whether to bid aggressively on a book (because I might not see it again) vs. wait for another copy. It also tells me where to be grade-conscious vs. completionist.

It's especially useful in titles where I haven't developed an intuitive feel. For instance, I know Funny Pages. I don't need my Windex tool to tell me when to buy and when to pass. But on a title like, say, Blonde Phantom, it's very helpful for me to know that #16 is easy to find but #17 is super tough.

I don't have anywhere near the data that someone like Metro has, but I'm getting more each month and I've got a core competency in statistics, so ultimately I expect this to become a very useful tool.

[Here's my Funny Pages "Windex" ranking for scarcity (higher is tougher):

Excellent, just excellent!

I'd probably drop the 3/9 (Tarpe Mills cover) down to wee bit to a 21 or 22.

Fully agree on the 3/10 (Burgos Arrow cover) at a 26 and the "rare" 4/1 at an 18.

Really, very well done...

STEVE

Fully agree on the 3/10 (Burgos Arrow cover) at a 26 and the "rare" 4/1 at an 18.

STEVE

Interesting, there was a point about 8 years ago that 3.10 was all over the place. In fact, I used that data to finagle the price on my copy.

Can't say that I've seen many since, but I guess that skews my opinion of the book.

STEVE

Interesting, there was a point about 8 years ago that 3.10 was all over the place. In fact, I used that data to finagle the price on my copy.

Can't say that I've seen many since, but I guess that skews my opinion of the book.

This happens sometimes, but such feedback is still very valuable nonetheless becasue if you've seen the books, then they're out there (somewhere).

I traded off my FP 3/10 and then for 5 years I could not locate a single copy....any copy. Thankfully I was able to buy the book back and now it's safely tucked away in my collection (<cue sigh of relieve>).

STEVE

For perspective, other books scoring a 27 on my system include All-American #3, #7, and #10, Amazing-Man #26, Amazing Mystery Funnies #23, and Fantastic Comics #19.

Can I do the yay.gif

Or does the existence of this copy make bring it down to a 2. sorry.gif

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

Can I do the yay.gif

Or does the existence of this copy make bring it down to a 2. sorry.gif

AmazMysFunnies23.jpg

Go ahead and yay.gif Adam! You deserve it.