• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

There are much better uses for 75K than buying the AM#5 Mile High.

S

I have to agree (and was just going to post the same thing).

Very, very tough book in grade - and difficult to find at all unrestored - but oh man that price range just makes me cringe.

I'm perfectly happy with the A-Man 6 (which does retell our hero's origin...)

STEVE

C'mon Steve ... you know you want it. poke2.gif

C'mon Ryan. That book is screaming out to you....BUY ME...BUY ME.

I see that Comiclinks Unrestored 5.5 Superman # 1 is in the Heritage auction.

I am SO glad the mail came today!

mm0089.jpg

This following book just blew me away! Great interior pages, some fantastic stories and art! I paid over guide for it, but it was worth it! Detective Eye #1 for your viewing pleasure..

mm0090.jpg

S

Very, very tough book in grade - and difficult to find at all unrestored - but oh man that price range just makes me cringe.

STEVE

I see that Comiclinks Unrestored 5.5 Superman # 1 is in the Heritage auction.

I will talk out both sides of my mouth here and say it still surprises me and sometimes shocks me when I see an obscure book with an obscure character gor go for something like 75K and even more. It feels as if people who love all comics equally feel that just because an action 1 is worth six or even seven figures then other unknown books should be, too, which feels to me a bit like saying a mint book on gardening that happens to be rare and old should go for the same as a first edition steinbeck. Just doesn't make sense. But then maybe some die-hard book lovers feel that way and we just never hear about it. So folloiwng that train, no, if there is even one copy of action 1 considered to be worth less than 75K, then there's no way that any copy of amazing man 5 is worth 75K no matter what condition.

Now, to reverse my tone completely, I will say it is extremely rare and because it actually predates the publication of Marvel Comics 1, it is arguably the first newsstand Marvel superhero comic.

Therefore, IF a mile high Wambi the Junhle Boy is worth hundreds and IF any copy Dagar, Tiop-Notch, what have you is worth five figures and IF any copy of Tough Kid Squad or pre-hero More Fun or New Adventure is worth mid five figures or even more -- THEN a 9.4 copy of Amazing Man 5 may well be worth 75K.

mm0089.jpg

This following book just blew me away! Great interior pages, some fantastic stories and art! I paid over guide for it, but it was worth it! Detective Eye #1 for your viewing pleasure..

mm0090.jpg

Well done, Ciorac!! I once owned a copy of that AMF ... will have to get another one one day. How are the stories in that DETECTIVE EYE? I would love to land those two issues as well ... if only for THE EYE SEES stories!

ps: please PM me if you have a line on any other Centaurs!! Share the love!

S

STEVE

S

But then, I run the risk of hurting the feelings of my 1.8 copy!!! I don't think it could stand the humiliation of being the "beater copy" ...

Well done, Ciorac!! I once owned a copy of that AMF ... will have to get another one one day. How are the stories in that DETECTIVE EYE? I would love to land those two issues as well ... if only for THE EYE SEES stories!

ps: please PM me if you have a line on any other Centaurs!! Share the love!

As soon as the battey charges on my digital camera I'll take a coupld of interior shots and post them. I just love the stories and art on the Detective Eye! cloud9.gif

S

STEVE

Besides the substantially lower price point for A-Man #6, I also feel the cover image for issue #6 is superior to the cover image for A-Man #5.

Now, is your copy of A-Man #6 up for sale anytime soon? takeit.gifpoke2.gif

S

STEVE

Besides the substantially lower price point for A-Man #6, I also feel the cover image for issue #6 is superior to the cover image for A-Man #5.

You mean "copies" ... Steve is one of those greedy SOB's he keeps talking about! 27_laughing.gif

I have to agree with you 100 percent ... the cover to #6 is way better than #5 ... I'm not even sure the cover the #5 is by Everett, although all sources point to Everett. Regardless, #6 is one of my fav GA covers! (and Steve's copies are beaut's!!!)

S

STEVE

Amazing Man #5 has Amazing Man on the cover which is a plus. Amazing Man #6 has a hand on the cover. However, this may very well be the first appearance of Hand. I will check into it.

S

So what is the general consensus as far as what this book is truly worth? Guide is $25,000. Tough to put a number on it as it is such a one of a kind item. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Well, it sold before on Heritage for $63,250. Here's the link.

The question is, why did it get cracked and re-subbed for the same grade? Does it look like the slightly crumpled upper left corner from the original scan has had any work done on it?

So what is the general consensus as far as what this book is truly worth? Guide is $25,000. Tough to put a number on it as it is such a one of a kind item. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The question is, why did it get cracked and re-subbed for the same grade? Does it look like the slightly crumpled upper left corner from the original scan has had any work done on it?

Seems like a 60K book to me.

I don't know why this book guides for so much. Why is it more valuable than a Amazing Mystery Funnies #1? Or a number of scarce Golden Age keys from period including WonderWorld #3 (1st Flame by Lou Fine) which guides for less than 1/2 of the AM#5.

S

Edited by metropolisent

Seems like a 60K book to me.

I don't know why this book guides for so much. Why is it more valuable than a Amazing Mystery Funnies #1? Or a number of scarce Golden Age keys from period including WonderWorld #3 (1st Flame by Lou Fine) which guides for less than 1/2 of the AM#5.

S

I was always told that this was a personal fave of Overstreet, and he owned the Mile High - thus the high price. But I have no evidence of that.

I agree the AMF is at least as desirable.

Why funny you should ask, lou...

You mean "copies" ... Steve is one of those greedy SOB's he keeps talking about! 27_laughing.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark, Mr. H.!!

I have to agree with you 100 percent ... the cover to #6 is way better than #5 ... I'm not even sure the cover the #5 is by Everett, although all sources point to Everett. Regardless, #6 is one of my fav GA covers! (and Steve's copies are beaut's!!!)

I do believe the A-Man 5 cover is by Everett. The 6 cover is very captivating IMHO, and is one of my favorites.

I'm obviously a huge Centaur fan, and I think A-Man 5 is a great book (wish I owned one) - even more desirable than the AMF 1 - but I'd simply rather put that kind of big money elsewhere...and you're talking to the guy who used to own the Church run of A-Man 6 thru 11 (I still have the 6, 10, and 11. FYI, the 7 was color touched on the spine).

STEVE

Very cool indeed. I love being able to see things I normally would not be able to see. 893applaud-thumb.gif

There are certain pharmaceuticals that will do that as well. tongue.gif

Here is a very cool splash from the Detective Eye #1

detectiveeyesplash.jpg

Personally I like the page on the right better than the splash page.

West

Me too! Especially those bottom two panels, they are just too cool.

Here is a very cool splash from the Detective Eye #1

detectiveeyesplash.jpg

Personally I like the page on the right better than the splash page.

West

Me too! Especially those bottom two panels, they are just too cool.

I agree 100 %. Pure golden age!!

Ciorac, is it possible to take a snapshot of the EYE SEES splash from that issue? I would love to see that. Eventually, I want to own the EYES's complete appearances. Anyone know if the EYE's first appearance is in KEEN DETECTIVE FUNNIES vol.2/#2, as stated in Overstreet, or is it vol.2/#12 (which lists it as the EYE's origin, which it is not, disappointingly!)

Do you have #2 of DETECTIVE EYE? It sports a nice Frank Thomas diving cover, and seems to be much harder to find than issue #1.