• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most Rare and expensive Variants?

98 posts in this topic

I don't think it's the most expensive,but rare yes.

The twenty fifth anniversary TMNT #1 2009 error variant. It's believed that there are less than 100 in existence

I'm not sure where you heard that there are less than 100 copies, but as a TMNT fan who follows these variants, I guarantee it's not true. :foryou: The print run on it was said to be 1,000 and these are pretty relatively available on ebay. In fact, the last time I checked the census, the error has more copies listed than the regular edition. As far as the actual number, it's likely somewhere between 700 -1,000.

The most likely the most rare/valuable variant from TMNT is the #3 NYCC variant. There are 500 copies and no public sales of 9.8 copies. 9.6 copies clear $3,000 and it wouldn't surprise me if a 9.8 went for well over $5,500.

The twenty fifth anniversary TMNT #1 2009 error variant. It's believed that there are less than 100 in existence

I'm not sure where you heard that there are less than 100 copies, but as a TMNT fan who follows these variants, I guarantee it's not true. :foryou: The print run on it was said to be 1,000 and these are pretty relatively available on ebay. In fact, the last time I checked the census, the error has more copies listed than the regular edition. As far as the actual number, it's likely somewhere between 700 -1,000.

The most likely the most rare/valuable variant from TMNT is the #3 NYCC variant. There are 500 copies and no public sales of 9.8 copies. 9.6 copies clear $3,000 and it wouldn't surprise me if a 9.8 went for well over $5,500.

Don't remind me.

:cry:

Of course this also ignores Turtlemania silver (100 copies) and Turtlemania gold (10 copies). I'm not 100% sure they'd qualify for the traditional definition of "variant".

Spawn 185 Sketch Cover - 60 or fewer exist.

Last two public sales of a 9.8 were around $3K.

Don't remind me.

Thank you for the correction Peter,I must have heard wrong. Were any sent back to be pulped during the recall?

Just wondering if that may have shortened the amount available.

The venom lethal protector black, miracleman 3d in 2d, batman 608 rrp, and superman/batman 4 German all come to mind as very high dollar, rare variants. Recalled comics is a nice site to keep track of a lot of these books. Sandman 8 editorial and even batman 1 b&w have been climbing as of late too.

Don't remind me.

Thank you for the correction Peter,I must have heard wrong. Were any sent back to be pulped during the recall?

Just wondering if that may have shortened the amount available.

Possible, but I assume it was very few. Mirage still had a lot of these when the error was caught. They printed a corrected copy and blew out the errors on the website for $1 each. I bought a small stack and I know several others that did as well...not to mention I saw plenty of these at shops.

There are also a few 35 cent variants that are extremely rare, to the tune of 10-20 copies known, like Rawhide Kid #141 and the like, though not official "variants", per se. If a 9.8 were to exist for some of these, they'd likely be $5,000+, depending.

As well....there are also the "Museum Editions", some of which are limited to 5, but those aren't traditional variants, either.

No traditional variant has beaten Danger Girl #2 Ruby Red yet. Come on, folks, there's got to be something else out there...

The venom lethal protector black, miracleman 3d in 2d, batman 608 rrp, and superman/batman 4 German all come to mind as very high dollar, rare variants. Recalled comics is a nice site to keep track of a lot of these books. Sandman 8 editorial and even batman 1 b&w have been climbing as of late too.

Yes, a MM 2-d *might* have broken $5,000 in the MM madness of 2008-2009, if a 9.8 copy existed.

Yes, a MM 2-d *might* have broken $5,000 in the MM madness of 2008-2009, if a 9.8 copy existed.

Agreed. I wasn't claiming that any of there sold for higher than the danger girl, just listing some of the higher priced modern variants that to me have staying power and room to grow.

As a side note, it would be interesting to hear of some undocumented, private sales of certain books to see what they have sold for.

So, I was wondering. What are the most expensive variants out there? (shrug)

Star Wars #1 - 4 $0.35 newsstand editions.

hm price variants...how about Fantastic Four #1 UK Edition (top CGC grade is 6.5 FN+) or an Incredible Hulk #1 UK Edition (top CGC grade is 7.0 FN/VF) or a Amazing Spider-Man #1 UK Edition (top CGC grade is 8.5 s/s).

Alternatively, how about the ashcan "variants" from the Golden and Silver ages...here's one for $5,000,000 :screwy: but they are accepting offers :D :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120652990756