• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most Rare and expensive Variants?

98 posts in this topic

Huh?

How much does a CGC 9.6-9.8 Star Wars 1 or Iron Fist 14 35-cent variant sell for? And those are *actual* variants, and not manufactured limited collectibles.

No such thing as a 9.8 Star Wars 1 price variant, at least not yet.

Only two sales of a 9.6 price variant. Neither are recorded by GPA because both were ComicLink sales. One was in 2009, the other in 2011. Both were above $20,000, the highest at $26,205.

There is a STAR WARS #1 35 cent variant CGC 9.4 on ComicConnect and a CGC 9.6 on ComicLink. Both claim to be highest grade. Appear to be same variant. (shrug) Is there a difference?

Does not look like the same book, the 9.6 has more white on the spine, the top is cut closer to the comics code authority stamp and the top staple seems to be placed a little higher than on the 9.4 copy. 2c

I didn't mean to imply they were same book. Just that both claim highest graded. One is 9 4 and other is 9.6. Unless the 9.4 is a different type of variant that it isn't the highest graded. Appears to be same variant.

Oh sorry about that, yes they are the same type of variant so the claim on the 9.4 being Highest grade is wrong. :)

(thumbs u

Huh?

How much does a CGC 9.6-9.8 Star Wars 1 or Iron Fist 14 35-cent variant sell for? And those are *actual* variants, and not manufactured limited collectibles.

Only two sales of a 9.6 price variant. Neither are recorded by GPA because both were ComicLink sales. One was in 2009, the other in 2011. Both were above $20,000, the highest at $26,205.

Here are some interesting facts about the 35 centers.

186 different issues (187 if you count the blank bar Cap)

1712 certified copies in all grades from 0.5 to 9.8 (an average of 9 per issue)

14 35 centers have been certified in 9.8. Few have sold but the ones that have are well into four figures.

2001: A Space Odyssey 7

Avengers 162

Avengers 163

Black Panther 5

Conan the Barbarian 76

Fantastic Four 184

Invaders 18

John Carter, Warlord of Mars 5

Kill, the Destroyer 21

Nova 10

Nova 12

Super-Villain Team-Up 13

Tarzan 3

Tarzan 4

There are 75 35-centers that have been graded at 9.6

I know of three copies of Kid Colt 218. None have been certified so far.

Most issues have less than ten certified in any grade.

Issues with less than five certified copies in any grade. This list offers some clues to the relative rarity of these books because they all bring money when found.

Captain America 213

Captain America 214

Captain Marvel 52

Defenders 51

Doctor Strange 23

Doctor Strange 25

Flintstones 1

Incredible Hulk 212

Inhumans 12

Invaders 21

Kid Colt Outlaw 218

Kid Colt Outlaw 219

Kid Colt Outlaw 220

Marvel Presents 12

Marvel Super-Heroes 66

Marvel Tales 80

Marvel Tales 81

Marvel Tales 82

Marvel Tales 83

Marvel Tales 84

Marvel Triple Action 36

Marvel Triple Action 37

Marvel's Greatest Comics 72

Marvel's Greatest Comics 73

Master of Kung Fu 56

Master of Kung Fu 57

Ms. Marvel 9

Omega the Unknown 9

Omega the Unknown 10

Power Man 47

Rawhide Kid 140

Rawhide Kid 141

Scooby-Doo 1

Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos 142

Thor 263

Tomb of Dracula 57

As always, excellent information. I just would take issue with the fact that slabbed copies reflect relative rarity. I am not any where near the top hoarder, maybe not top 10 and I have dups of some of those books. Slabbing is not a value added process with variants unless it is a top census book. Many of these books, are far more plentiful than the census would suggest.

Scan%20444_zpsdcqmwq5w.jpeg

Huh?

Here are some interesting facts about the 35 centers.

186 different issues (187 if you count the blank bar Cap)

1712 certified copies in all grades from 0.5 to 9.8 (an average of 9 per issue)

14 35 centers have been certified in 9.8. Few have sold but the ones that have are well into four figures.

2001: A Space Odyssey 7

Avengers 162

Avengers 163

Black Panther 5

Conan the Barbarian 76

Fantastic Four 184

Invaders 18

John Carter, Warlord of Mars 5

Kill, the Destroyer 21

Nova 10

Nova 12

Super-Villain Team-Up 13

Tarzan 3

Tarzan 4

There are 75 35-centers that have been graded at 9.6

I know of three copies of Kid Colt 218. None have been certified so far.

Most issues have less than ten certified in any grade.

Issues with less than five certified copies in any grade. This list offers some clues to the relative rarity of these books because they all bring money when found.

Captain America 213

Captain America 214

Captain Marvel 52

Defenders 51

Doctor Strange 23

Doctor Strange 25

Flintstones 1

Incredible Hulk 212

Inhumans 12

Invaders 21

Kid Colt Outlaw 218

Kid Colt Outlaw 219

Kid Colt Outlaw 220

Marvel Presents 12

Marvel Super-Heroes 66

Marvel Tales 80

Marvel Tales 81

Marvel Tales 82

Marvel Tales 83

Marvel Tales 84

Marvel Triple Action 36

Marvel Triple Action 37

Marvel's Greatest Comics 72

Marvel's Greatest Comics 73

Master of Kung Fu 56

Master of Kung Fu 57

Ms. Marvel 9

Omega the Unknown 9

Omega the Unknown 10

Power Man 47

Rawhide Kid 140

Rawhide Kid 141

Scooby-Doo 1

Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos 142

Thor 263

Tomb of Dracula 57

Very informative post I love stuff like this thanks. (thumbs u (thumbs u

Variation of a variation

CaptainAmerica212ErrorEdition.jpg

:grin: This looks like a book I have seen before.

I agree, but some of the numbers could be skewed some if more 35 cent collectors sent their copies in. Most the collectors I know are just happy to have a raw copy and dont slab them.

The above post illustrates the point. While again they are very rare there are raw copies that are even very nice copies that collectors until maybe retirement, college costs or some other life changing events just dont want or need to slab their copies.

[ As always, excellent information. I just would take issue with the fact that slabbed copies reflect relative rarity. I am not any where near the top hoarder, maybe not top 10 and I have dups of some of those books. Slabbing is not a value added process with variants unless it is a top census book. Many of these books, are far more plentiful than the census would suggest.

Scan%20444_zpsdcqmwq5w.jpeg

:sumo: I got one of those.

The most Rare and expensive Variants? hm

IH12dc.jpg

I was at my local comic shop yesterday, and the owners son was selling this valiant book (Turok #1) I was like, why do you have that book priced for 40$ for? He was like its the gold edition man, super rare only a few in existence. I was like really? So, is this so called Turok #1 gold edition really that rare? :blahblah:

Having a full set of 30 variants and nearly all the 35 cent variants I can't argue with their values. Assembling a full set of either is a herculean task.

That being said, pound for pound, the most valuable variant I have seen is the #4 Four Color (First series-first Donald Duck in the run)) featuring the 15 cent cover variant. Unlike the later 15 cent Four Colors that were typically Canadian, this one appears to be a :"true" price variant. I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5k for this almost 10 years ago. It is the only copy known to exist, to my knowledge.

fc%20%204%20series%201%20fr1_zpsfbx2o8q2.jpg

Having a full set of 30 variants and nearly all the 35 cent variants I can't argue with their values. Assembling a full set of either is a herculean task.

That being said, pound for pound, the most valuable variant I have seen is the #4 Four Color (First series-first Donald Duck in the run)) featuring the 15 cent cover variant. Unlike the later 15 cent Four Colors that were typically Canadian, this one appears to be a :"true" price variant. I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5k for this almost 10 years ago. It is the only copy known to exist, to my knowledge.

fc%20%204%20series%201%20fr1_zpsfbx2o8q2.jpg

(worship)

I'd be curious to see a list of double (or more) covered 30 and 35 cent variants that are known to exist.

hm I think I have the only 35 cent variant double cover found so far, and there are not very many 30 cent ones either. I think board members canickus has 4 or 5 with that Cool X-Men #100, shieldagent has a WWT #15 and flyingdonut has a Fantastic Four #169 those are the only ones I know about. I am sure there are many more still undiscovered ones. :cloud9: