• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED

213 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've never had this situation come up before so I'm not sure exactly how to handle it or how to address it so any help, suggestions or comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I sold a expensive book (Giant-Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.8) for someone here on the boards. I had the book in my possession so I was the seller even though I was selling it for someone else. The book was Graded CGC 9.8. I was made an offer and we agreed on a price but the buyer asked me to overnight it to another board member for a signing opportunity so the person had to receive it the next day. I agreed to do so which I did. The buyer got confirmation the book was received safe and sound and he confirmed that with me. After I got confirmation the book arrived safely I paid the person I was selling it for. So the money is gone and transaction over. 4 days later the buyer contacts me and says that the book had a non-color breaking crease on the spine and I didn't disclose that to him before he bought it and he now wanted to return it. The book is graded CGC 9.8 and there's no damage to the case and I didn't notice anything wrong with the book. I'm not sure if minor creasing is common on the Giant-Size book because it's thick but it was graded CGC 9.8 and honestly it wasn't something I noticed. I get the impression the buyer wasn't guaranteed a Signature Series CGC 9.8 so now wants to return the book. The buyer asked No questions prior to making an offer and he confirmed delivery and everything was good, so I thought. I paid the person I was selling it for so the money is gone and now the buyer opened a Not as Described case with PayPal. I'm not in the position to take it back myself or I would. I've just never had anyone confirm everything is good and then request a return, so I'm not sure how to address this now with PayPal. So any thoughts, comments, suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks for taking the time to read and/or respond.

I've also heard that the "item not as described" complaint is not honored by paypal in regards to CGC graded books...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

what you have there is a head buyer.

Giant size books frequently have those creases which occur during binding.

Item was described as a CGC 9.8 GSX 1 and that's exactly what it is.

also you mentioned it was purchased and over-nighted for a signing opportunity, was the slab cracked and the book signed already or did the person who took possession of it mention the defect to the actual buyer before it was cracked out?

If he cracked it tell paypal and in any fair world he'd be SOL

Since it was a boardie, maybe you can work something out? I don't think anyone is ever guaranteed a grade when a book is cracked and signed... Can the buyer resell it here or on eBay?

Unfortunately PayPal is pretty consistant with returns, regardless if it is fair or not.

Since it was a boardie, maybe you can work something out? I don't think anyone is ever guaranteed a grade when a book is cracked and signed... Can the buyer resell it here or on eBay?

This.

Did the buyer have the opportunity to see scans of the book that were of high enough quality to spot the defect in question before he decided to purchase it?

I don't know what he saw. I posted scans front and back of the book. I have in the listing to ask any questions and if additional scans are needed to just let me know. Nothing was requested prior to making an offer. I didn't see anything wrong with the book, it was graded by CGC as a 9.8 and there was no damage to the case or anything indicating something happened to the book. The book is thick (Giant-Size), maybe has some creasing but CGC graded it a 9.8. So maybe got word it might not be guaranteed a 9.8 signature series, I don't know.

Unfortunately PayPal is pretty consistant with returns, regardless if it is fair or not.

Not in this case as a seller would articulate to PayPal that the book is incapable of being returned as is since it has been cracked out of a sealed case for the signing opportunity. PayPal is getting wise to these types of things.

The signing facilitator could have damaged the book upon cracking the slab.

The artist could have damaged the book upon signing it.

There are a dozen things that could have happened after the buyer received the advertised 9.8 and elected to have the slab tampered with by having it signed.