• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED

213 posts in this topic

Maybe some kind of blurb in sales thread-"I am selling this 9.8 as a 9.8. If you do not agree with CGC's grade that is your choice but I cannot refund because of that. If you are not ok with this pls do not purchase.'

While there is no need to out the buyer yet , you should let them know about this thread so they can see how it is being perceived by his fellow boardies. Might make him realize the error of his ways.

Maybe some kind of blurb in sales thread-"I am selling this 9.8 as a 9.8. If you do not agree with CGC's grade that is your choice but I cannot refund because of that. If you are not ok with this pls do not purchase.'

Great suggestion and I will.

Okay, I missed the part about the paypal dispute. Now I really wouldn't want to refund to the buyer since he didn't even try to talk to you about it.

I missed that too...

OP, I get that you want to keep your promise and protect the identity of the buyer. However, if this has went down like this and they opened a paypal dispute, you really need to out the person. They can come to the thread and offer their defense, but the general public should know if someone that has this potential is in the marketplace making $5k purchases.

That's up to him but he asked when purchasing the book to keep the sale private. I don't see the need at this point to mention his name because I was just wondering how handle this situation I have never dealt with but if he wanted to say anything that's up to him.

It's pretty simple. I was selling the book for someone, not that it mattered because I had the book in my possession. He made a quick decision to buy the book because he needed it sent next day to another person in order to have it cracked and signed. He confirmed it was delivered safe and sound, I would assume confirmed to him buy the person he wanted it sent to. At that point I paid the person I was selling it for. I thought the transaction was done. 4 days later he contacts me stating the book had an undisclosed defect (non-color breaking crease on spine) which I'm told is common in the Giant-Size book but the person who was going to crack the book asked him what he wanted to do. He made the decision to not have it cracked and contacted me for a refund. I explained to him that after you confirmed everything was all set that I paid the person I was selling it for. I asked him to try listing it himself here, I didn't think time was an issue because he would have to wait for the book he was going to have signed and regraded. I suggested he list the book at a good price and he could get his money back or at a slight loss. At the speed he opened a PayPal case he didn't even consider it. I paid the money out for what I thought was a completed transaction and now I have to deal with a PayPal dispute, just what I need.

I'm not sure why you are protecting this guy's anonymity. He received what he purchased, a CGC 9.8, and is now trying to screw you over through PayPal. I think we'd all like to know who this person is who thinks he can return a 9.8 so we can all block him. His behavior based on what you've described is pretty ridiculous, immature, and unprofessional. No one needs that hassle.

Ghost...a few points to take away from this:

1) If you're not a regular seller/dealer, state every and all terms of the sale in the thread. That way, you've got a record of what is expected of the buyer and seller (Ps. don't edit your posts either).

2) You have to realize that Paypal will 99% of the time side w/the buyer in a SNAD claim, regardless if the buyer is in the wrong

3) I probably wouldn't recommend selling books for someone else as there's a possibility this could happen again. I believe you have 45 days to open a PayPal case....so you really want to hold someone's money for 45 days? I wouldn't

4) When dealing with large $ transactions, get a check or bank transfer.

You're going to be forced to accept a return. Just make sure you get compensated for the overnight shipping, as that could easily be $100.

And I think you should out the buyer....

He's a star candidate for outing.

That's the whole point of these boards-to protect each other.

While there is no need to out the buyer yet , you should let them know about this thread so they can see how it is being perceived by his fellow boardies. Might make him realize the error of his ways.

I certainly will.

When selling books on consignment, It's best to hold onto the funds awhile.

Yep. Some guy wanted me to sell his $500 Nikes on ebay-I told him buyer could request refund after like 3 months and I would need to hold the funds that long to avoid getting screwed. He didn't want to believe me but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Wait, so this guy never even saw the book? He just opened a Paypal dispute based on what someone else told him to do? Really classy.

Wait, so this guy never even saw the book? He just opened a Paypal dispute based on what someone else told him to do? Really classy.

I wonder if that fact is significant in terms of the PayPal dispute? Can he claim item is not as described if he has never seen it? I haven't read paypal's rules and terms.

I was selling the book on behalf of someone, I had the book in my possession.

Is that something as mandatory that I should mention?

I didn't think it was of great importance since I had the book but the buyer mentioned that in the dispute that I was selling it for someone although it has no relevance to the dispute.

I was selling the book on behalf of someone, I had the book in my possession.

Is that something as mandatory that I should mention?

I didn't think it was of great importance since I had the book but the buyer mentioned that in the dispute that I was selling it for someone although it has no relevance to the dispute.

Did he mention in the dispute he hadnt seen book but it was sent to someone else?

Protecting the buyer's identity is the final bit of leverage you have in any negotiation. But the fact that he chose to go to PayPal rather than work it out with you.. Plus the fact that it seems there's nothing left to negotiate... I think the only positive to be done is to alert fellow board members to this person. I know that I would not sell to him and I believe many/most would feel the same.

What happened to you, OP, stinks. I think you should prevent it from happening to others.

And if you promised to keep his identity a secret, and are concerned with going back on your word? He promised to buy a CGC 9.8 book from you at an agreed upon price and went back on HIS word. So this would just make you even. :)