• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most overrated artist and why?

206 posts in this topic

I'm also not a fan of Chris Bachalo...too sloppy and weird changes to classic looks. For example...Wolverine's nose is not THAT wide.

I really like Bachalo's early-to-mid 90s style, as used on Shade the Changing Man, for example, but can't stand the way it developed later, more cartoony and hyperdetailed but somehow a bit empty. Perhaps the figurework distortion worked well on Shade, being quite surreal, but not so much on mainstream characters such as X-Men or Avengers? I also like Sean Murphy's artwork a lot, which has clear similarities to Bachalo's original style.

I think JRJR's art is overrated. However, I do enjoy what he's doing with Superman.

Frank Miller's art is overrate. But he's one hell of storyteller.

They both have similar drawing style...blocky.

Not saying they're bad. Just overachieved with the accolades heaped upon the artwork.

I agree. :applause:

JR Jr is under-rated, not over-rated.

He's done some great work that doesn't get the kudos it deserves.

J Scott Campbell...how often can a guy make bank drawing black cat on covers that don't even have her in the comic.

+1, the prices he gets for his original art are mind boggling. He has some classic covers that were very original, but these days it's seen one, seen them all IMHO.

Regarding Bachalo, I think his work on Shade and his early Generation X work was amazing. I think the issue these days is for him and a lot of artists is that the publishing schedule doesn't allow for some of the detailed work of the past.

J Scott Campbell...how often can a guy make bank drawing black cat on covers that don't even have her in the comic.

not only that every single female he draws looks the same. same little funny looking turned up nose. i have never seen what the big deal is with this guy

not only that every single female he draws looks the same. same little funny looking turned up nose. i have never seen what the big deal is with this guy

Because....boobs

I'd have to vote Frank Miller. Definitely revolutionary stories and he broke some of the barriers in terms of how to draw dark tales but his stuff seems way to random and shaded for me. I much prefer the Art Adams type of artist.

It's an unpopular thing to say... but...

I think Kirby is great... but not 'king'

I actually think Ditko was a better artist,at least with Spidey.

Kirby was the King because the guy could do like 8 books a month!

Hmm - really tough call between Frank Miller and JRJR (his Superman makes me cringe). I'd also put Ivan Reis on there but only because every action shot he draws is consumed by grimacing mouths that are too large for the face

2859060-banner.jpg

I'd have to vote Frank Miller. Definitely revolutionary stories and he broke some of the barriers in terms of how to draw dark tales but his stuff seems way to random and shaded for me. I much prefer the Art Adams type of artist.

He was finding his path on Daredevil, but I really like his Ronin and Sin City stuff (and 300 too I guess). I think it needs to be the right genre for him, it wouldn't work for X-Men or whatever.

I think there's certainly an age gap when it comes to Kirby. For those of us with a few more miles on us, Kirby's rendering to this day are still the "classic" takes on so many Marvel characters... that it's hard to ever consider him overrated.

But for those who didn't grow up with the stuff and love it as much as we did, I suppose I could see it.

As for JRJR? He's that weird mix of both over and underrated. I think he's better than a lot of people give him credit for, but not nearly as good as his biggest fans think. Personally, I still liked his early work best when he was trying to draw like his father. Those issues of ASM he did in that style looked really great.

Because....boobs

Yes, He jumps out. Some of his work is great. Other covers are average.

Sienkiewicz, Gravinov, Ramos are all good candidates.

Miller is disappointing these days with some of his strange covers but I think he is purposely going for that style. He can revert to his older work if he wanted to.

Never knew why McFarlane was all that. His work is great but I never thought it was the bomb.

I never cared for Todd McFarlane. Some of his covers might be OK and recognizable and some have become iconic but to me they seemed very similar to one another - they seem to be the same pose. So he did the same ASM 300 swipe how many times? And ASM 298 and 299 were almost the same. Maybe his Batman run was more original but I think he had collaboration from others on those.