• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most overrated artist and why?

206 posts in this topic

Liefield and McFarland are over-hyped. Sure Todd gave more dynamics to Spidey, but his renderings of people were unappealing to me.

I had to learn to appreciate the creator's efforts. Kirby's intro of the Surfer and his cosmos stuff is just awesome, had a great run on FF.

I liked some JRJR when he was on one of the Spidey books in the 90's.

Bachalo, I really liked his Generation X work.

Frazetta is awesome and is more than just comics to me.

For me, it is and always will be Jack Kirby. Can't stand any of his work after the '40s. I know he was probably a great guy and maybe his composition is tops, but I can't get past the look of his BA work.

But the most under rated artist of all is Curt Swan

I tend to agree...but I'm pretty you and I are in the minority, and are swinging in the breeze on this one...

I just can't understand it either

Master of natural poses and facial expressions, aliens, spacecraft-anything

To me the most overrated artist is Jim Lee.

He can sell comics, and everyone who grew up in 90's loves him but, I just never understood what people saw in his work. That whole vogue pose just never did anything for me. All those unnecessary lines....ugh.... personally I think he's better now than he was then, his poses are a lot more dynamic and his camera angles more interesting... but his 90's work...ugh.

But the most under rated artist of all is Curt Swan

I tend to agree...but I'm pretty you and I are in the minority, and are swinging in the breeze on this one...

I have never thought of Swan as underrated - he's THE Superman artist. Didn't matter who wrote the story or the quality (or lack thereof), he delivered!

Liefield and McFarland are over-hyped. Sure Todd gave more dynamics to Spidey, but his renderings of people were unappealing to me.

I had to learn to appreciate the creator's efforts. Kirby's intro of the Surfer and his cosmos stuff is just awesome, had a great run on FF.

I liked some JRJR when he was on one of the Spidey books in the 90's.

Bachalo, I really liked his Generation X work.

Frazetta is awesome and is more than just comics to me.

Mc-Fliefeld are not comic book artists, they are business men.

They took what was popular at the time and capitalized on it.

Thats why their art sucked

Can't believe Frazetta is in this discussion.

Can't believe Frazetta is in this discussion.

I can.

Frazetta was great, no doubt, but he didn't really draw all that many comic book stories, and is more fondly remembered for his cover art, paintings, and paperback book covers, and the '70s LP album covers & airbrushed conversion van bastardizations inspired by all of the above.

In terms of actual comic book art, it seems to me that Frazetta occupies the same shifting sands as on-again/off-again comic book artists like Steranko and (to a lesser extent) Berni Wrightson: to appropriate a line from Spencer Tracy vis-à-vis Kate Hepburn: "there ain't much meat there, but what is there is choice..."

Which is to say that Frazetta is one helluva comic book artist who didn't really seem to be all that dedicated to comic books as his primary métier.

Whether or not that makes him overrated as a comic book artist is an open question, but I can easily understand why some fans might feel that way...

Didn't he have a pretty long stint as the Lil Abner newspaper cartoonist?

Didn't he have a pretty long stint as the Lil Abner newspaper cartoonist?

Yeah. But newspaper strips aren't comic books (and in some ways are a lot more arcane to modern and post-modern fans), and even if his style bled through (which it undoubtedly did), he was still just ghosting for Capp...

Probably the best way to understand how significant an artist is in a medium is by evaluating his/her influence on the genre.

Stevens, Schultz, Bisley, AAdams are just a few of the hundreds Frazetta influenced during his tenure.

Sure. But by that metric, Liefeld, McFarlane, and Jim Lee are in some ways just as "significant". Still doesn't mean that they can't be "overrated" though...

:)

They drew similar to a basic kirby style but not even close to actual kirby as opposed to say the neal adams imitators that often look indistinguishable from adams.

No panel by steranko someone might mistake for kirby.

The OP said that there were not significant imitators who "tried to draw like Kirby." But every artist I named--and many others--did precisely that. Whether they achieved it or not is another question entirely.

And please show us all a single panel drawn by another artist--and NOT inked by Adams or one of his acolytes--which is "indistinguishable from Adams"... :eyeroll:

Green_Arrow_0023.jpg

plenty more where that came from

Easily distinguishable. Grell's figurework always looks very stiff to me when you compare it to Adams'.

Romita Jr is garbage. He was fine when he imitated Romita Sr because it looked like Romita Sr. When he started copying Miller and putting out that blocky mess, he wasn't fit to see print. If I were a rich man, I'd burn every single copy of his 90's Daredevils. Those were horrendous.

Why do people hate him? Watch the interview in the extras of the Daredevil DVD. He says his dad worked too much, so he's only going to do as much as he has to. Translation: he's a lazy turd who thinks he can justify being a lazy turd.

It's been over a decade since I last watched that DVD (Director's Cut) but, if I remember correctly, didn't he also state that he doesn't consider himself to be anywhere near as good an artist as his father but that his compensatory strength is in page layouts and storytelling? Oh, and that he's also very fast.

Hmm - really tough call between Frank Miller and JRJR (his Superman makes me cringe).

What? No love for this?

Superman-by-JRJR-3.jpg

Okay, so he does a pretty bad Bizarro Superman, but what about the real thing?

:applause:

Jr Jr is absolutely horrible. Makes books unreadable.