• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A different way to sell comics...

27 posts in this topic

Last night on my way home from work, I was driving down a busy residential street close to home and I spotted this guy standing on the parking strip. I had seen him a couple times before but couldn't get over to stop.

I pulled over and stopped and walked up to him. I told him that this was a different approach and that I was a collector. I asked him what he had for sale and he pulled about a dozen comics out of his back pack to show me.

Nothing much, just some 60 cent DC's not really worth anything. I asked if he had more and he said he sold some with 12 cent cover prices way to cheap but now was prepared and was gripping his Overstreet guide.

We talked a little and he told me name was "Comic Book Man" and his superpower was turning comics into cash. He was in his early 20's and friendly but appeared a little "slow". He told me the comics were given to him by a guy in a house that he was living in. We talked a little more and I introduced myself and he told me his name was Richard. I wished him good luck and was on my way. Got to be one of the craziest situations I had ever experienced in the comic book biz.

So, I give you Richard, "Comic Book Man"!

comicman1_zpsx5o0p8gr.jpg

I have a guy locally here who makes a living doing door to door comic sales. he goes to gas stations, houses, businesses and carries a long box of comics for sale.

Last night on my way home from work, I was driving down a busy residential street close to home and I spotted this guy standing on the parking strip. I had seen him a couple times before but couldn't get over to stop.

I pulled over and stopped and walked up to him. I told him that this was a different approach and that I was a collector. I asked him what he had for sale and he pulled about a dozen comics out of his back pack to show me.

Nothing much, just some 60 cent DC's not really worth anything. I asked if he had more and he said he sold some with 12 cent cover prices way to cheap but now was prepared and was gripping his Overstreet guide.

We talked a little and he told me name was "Comic Book Man" and his superpower was turning comics into cash. He was in his early 20's and friendly but appeared a little "slow". He told me the comics were given to him by a guy in a house that he was living in. We talked a little more and I introduced myself and he told me his name was Richard. I wished him good luck and was on my way. Got to be one of the craziest situations I had ever experienced in the comic book biz.

So, I give you Richard, "Comic Book Man"!

comicman1_zpsx5o0p8gr.jpg

I want the sign! Looks OA.

Hey the guy is trying to make some money better than begging for it :)

+1

Hey the guy is trying to make some money better than begging for it :)

Word. I would buy a slightly over priced comic book looooooong before I'll just hand someone cash.

My town is over run with people looking for had outs. "Yeah buddy, you had that just passing though sigh last year too..."

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at the guy at all. I don't think he was "all there" but he was very polite and friendly. He is making an honest buck without pan handling. It's just so out of place where he was doing it and kind of a weird way to sell comics. He had a great sign!

I have a guy locally here who makes a living doing door to door comic sales. he goes to gas stations, houses, businesses and carries a long box of comics for sale.

I thought dave did door to door mail delivery?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at the guy at all. I don't think he was "all there" but he was very polite and friendly. He is making an honest buck without pan handling. It's just so out of place where he was doing it and kind of a weird way to sell comics. He had a great sign!

From the art side he put some time and talent into it.Catches the eye!