• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do silver age movie hype books lose their steam

38 posts in this topic

There are a couple of books that I wanted to purchase but wasn't able to before they "popped" due to a movie announcement (mainly X-Men 4, Daredevil 1, and TTA 35 (I know the movie is not out yet so I have to wait on this one longer)).

While I don't expect these books to drop to their previous pricing levels pre-movie - when can one reasonably expect them to settle down/decrease in value? Does anyone think any of the three above books are going to stay at current prices/increase (I can possibly see DD1 staying at its current level but who knows)?

And with another season of Daredevil coming, I don't see the hammer prices coming down anytime soon. And other issues, #4 for example, have nowhere to go but up as we learn what other characters will be used in the various Netflix series.

Marvel Studios, which knows it has not developed its women heroines on the big screen or small screen (except Black Widow), will focus on Scarlet Witch in Captain America 3 and Avengers 3 and 4. So X-Men 4 will continue to grow through at least 2019.

Has ASM Anuual 1 tanked?

Good question. Not the copies I have looked at. That was another book that was probably undervalued, and isn't easy in grade due to the typically wonky binding. I'd love to upgrade my beater copy.

The major keys will stay strong after movie hype since there was a lot of undervalued books that were long due for a correction(DD1, ST110/115, X4, TT27 35 44 FF48,52). Minor/medium keys that are on fire like Av54,55 and all of the bronze 1s that are insanely rising will def take a huge hit.

Unsure about FF45 but theres still some big SA keys to be had cheap. DD1 is still very cheap as well as a few others. You can fetch a mid grade for low money still.

Showcase 22 is probably a good buy right now as compared to before the Ryan Reynolds suck fest...

hm

I still argue that the biggest issue with that turd of a movie was the -script. The special effects were "ok", the acting was meh but the -script was horrific.

Showcase 22 is probably a good buy right now as compared to before the Ryan Reynolds suck fest...

hm

Keeping that movie and that actor in mind, this is why I am thinking the Ant-Man movie will tank.

I like Paul Rudd but I am afraid his comedic efforts will not work in a Super Hero venue.

hm

Keeping that movie and that actor in mind, this is why I am thinking the Ant-Man movie will tank.

I like Paul Rudd but I am afraid his comedic efforts will not work in a Super Hero venue.

It's a fair criticism. Though, I hope you're wrong.

hm

I actually picked up a copy last week :) I decided to focus on DC silver age this year, hence why I missed out on a few of the Marvel keys I wanted.

I am of the opinion that TTA 35 and X-Men 4 will level off and may decrease a bit. I was hoping everyone would tell me that DD1 will decrease :( Ah well, can't win them all

hm

I still argue that the biggest issue with that turd of a movie was the -script. The special effects were "ok", the acting was meh but the -script was horrific.

The special effects? The main villain, Parallax, looked like giant poop cloud from space.

I am of the opinion that TTA 35 and X-Men 4 will level off and may decrease a bit. I was hoping everyone would tell me that DD1 will decrease :( Ah well, can't win them all

Daredevil 1 is the poor man's mega key. It's not going down, ever.

As far as the others, high prices bring books out of collections and into the market. Now that everyone has paid to get their copies, how many people are going to want to sell at a loss? There aren't a ton of copies of TTA 35 or X-Men 4 out there to start with, so prices may stagnate for a long time, but for the near future, the price isn't going down.

hm

The special effects? The main villain, Parallax, looked like giant poop cloud from space.

I blame the -script for that. I didn't think the SFX were Horrible. The -script was Horrible. Sinestro was the best part of the movie and he had a bit part. Not good.