• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"This Score Needs Fixing" Thread - LOCKED FOR NOW

82 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Yes! Feel free to report things like that, too. Anything that can make the registry a better experience for everyone is welcome...

Hi Gemma

Could you take a look at Avengers #196 please, first full appearance of Taskmaster?

This book has been selling pretty steadily at $100+ for 9.4 and $200+ for 9.6 for some time now. There are currently copies for sale on eBay for considerably more than this.

Registry points are still the same as the numbers around it - I'd recommend that points value be quadrupled, perhaps even more.

Thanks for considering.

Jon

Hello,

I request a doubling of the points awarded to issue Batman 251 (e.g., from the current 2560 points awarded for a 9.8 graded copy of this issue to 5120 points) because of the continually increasing demand for this issue; copies sell very briskly; and the accompanying substantial price increase over a period of time. Sales and current asking prices on eBay and various comic book dealer websites reveal that despite, for example, 14 9.8 and 55 9.6 graded copies of this issue on the Census, the demand and relatively high prices hold steady.

Thank you for your consideration.

Gemma,

I believe there should be yet another score correction for the following issue:

Walking Dead #116 Third Print

I made the request back in early May (and it was increased slightly) but I would like to re-introduce more evidence for my rationale.

In addition to the info below (see old info at bottom of this message from last request) a recent sale of one of these issues in 9.8 universal grade went for $1,999. This is as high if not higher than the Walking Dead 100 Red Foil/Lucille editions sell for and I strongly feel that this issue should warrant a point increase at the very least to match these issues. Less copies exist of this issue and they sell for the same amount if not higher. Here is the link to the completed sale:

Walking Dead #116 Third Print CGC 9.8 (Sold)

Old rationale for last request is in the spoiler tags...

Below is my rationale:

This edition should have a higher point value than the other two 116 issues since the only two sales I can find were for $1517.80 (CGC 9.8) on 3/22/15 and $580 (raw VF/NM 9.0) on 4/4/15 (see eBay completed sales data below this message) respectively (actual completed sales, that is). I figure that a fair point value for this issue would run similar to the Walking Dead #35 Error Variant with 9.8 universal being 800 points (to give you a reference point for determining grade values). One of the rarest WD issues out there, this one should command at least as high as those issues (which both seem to have caught fire recently).

Walking Dead #116 Third Print Completed Sales Data (the link to the old data no longer exists but the two sales were for the amounts listed above).

Thank you for your time and consideration as well as for all you do for us registry set participants! Please let me know if you need any more evidence or have any questions regarding this request. :)

Sensei Ryan

Hi Gemma,

Can you adjust the score for:

- Wolverine #1 (2010) Campbell Variant to 3,000 points.

- Edge Of Spider-Verse #2 Land Variant to 450 points.

- Ultimate Fallout #4 Djurdjevic Variant to 400 points.

- Wolverine #145 Nabisco Variant to 900 points.

- Amazing Spider-Man 678 Mary Jane Venom Variant to 3,750 points.

Thank you! (worship)

Jerome

Hi Gemma,

Wolverine #1 (2010) Campbell Variant to 3,000 points? That is what I'd estimate the value to be. It's at 24 points at the moment lol

Thank you!

Jerome

I object to giving 3,000 points to any book from 2010, I don't care what the financials indicate.

Gemma, if you honor this request you are doing a serious injustice to the collectors of Gold and Silver Age books. Sorry.

Hi Gemma,

Wolverine #1 (2010) Campbell Variant to 3,000 points? That is what I'd estimate the value to be. It's at 24 points at the moment lol

Thank you!

Jerome

I object to giving 3,000 points to any book from 2010, I don't care what the financials indicate.

Gemma, if you honor this request you are doing a serious injustice to the collectors of Gold and Silver Age books. Sorry.

Absolutely agree. 30 points yes, 3000 points no.

What some people need to understand is that just because a book sells for X amount of dollars, doesn't mean that book deserves the same amount of points.

Hi Gemma,

I have never made a comment re scores but I have felt for some time that points for Avengers #1 were on the low side. Consider the following data for the 9.4 grade:

Score: 54,000

Pop: 10 in 9.4, 4 higher

Last 2 sales: $120,000 and $125,000 (and Doug told me he had an offer for $130,000 from someone who wanted to be able to pay over 18 months).

Now compare this to ASM #1:

Score: 96,000

Pop: 9 in 9.4, 6 higher

Last sale: $135,000

and X-Men #1:

Score: 78,000

Pop: 12 in 9.4, 5 higher

Last 2 sales: $83,600 and $92,500

I realize many collectors would prefer both the ASM and X-Men #1 to the AVG #1 but the differential seems too large is all. Taking into account the comparable populations and the market values above, I would ask that you consider changing the score for Avengers #1 in 9.4 to say 65,000.

That would seem reasonable and appropriate to me. I hope you agree. Thx!

Mike Pope

@MintyMint

to be honest, I would think a more fair point allocation to AV1 would be closer to 75.000 points.

It should be at par, or very close to, XMen1 allocation.

@MintyMint

to be honest, I would think a more fair point allocation to AV1 would be closer to 75.000 points.

It should be at par, or very close to, XMen1 allocation.

No disagreement here. I was going to suggest 70,000 but thought the 65,000 would be easier to approve is all...

Hi Gemma,

Thank you!

Jerome

Aren't the points supposed to be based on value? It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't understand what the hate is all about? (shrug)

Jerome

Hi Gemma,

Thank you!

Jerome

Aren't the points supposed to be based on value? It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't understand what the hate is all about? (shrug)

Jerome

If that were the case, an Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 should be worth 3.2 million points and not 900.000 (and its only THE most valuable and important book in the hobby)

A list of other examples is infinite.

Hi Gemma,

Thank you!

Jerome

Jerome

If that were the case, an Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 should be worth 3.2 million points and not 900.000

hm okay. So then how do registry points get determined if its not by value? Should I just pick a random number and see if it sticks? All kidding aside, I'd really like to know 'cause I always thought it was value based.

Jerome

"The goal of the scoring algorithm used by the Comics Registry is to represent accurately each comic book's scarcity, desirability, and value, while ensuring a fun and competitive collecting environment."

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=11543

value, significance, rarity, availability, popularity are all factors I would assume. That and the fact that points are attributed by a mathematical algorithm. :cool:

Ah okay, they have a secret sauce, fair enough. However, I do see some books like Batman 608 RRP have a value of 2,400, so some books to warrant high reg points, yea? I think this Wolverine #1 one a couple others (based on scarcity and popularity primarily) warrant such high points. But that is my opinion of course.

Jerome

Hello Gemma,

The points for Daredevil #1 are probably in need of a bump. The recent success of the Netflix series has really boosted this characters popularity and the market value of DD #1 has more than doubled (across all grades) because of it.

Thanks for your time!