• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 181 CGC Prices are...

214 posts in this topic

TMNT1, no question

ASM 300

NM 98

Blow TMNT #1 out of the water.

Not talking about value.

Those books are are asked about 24/7....TMNT #1 is not.

Big part of that is no one has TMNT1. ASM300 and NM98 are as easy to find as air.

Exactly, that is why it commands the prices it does. The print run was low, like real low. Where as a NM98 9.8 is around $800 and a ASM300 9.8 is around $1000 cause the print runs are high. Just like WD #1 and #2 will hold cause of the low print run.

I'm on the hunt for a NM98 and ASM300 they'll be in my collection very soon.

I found my 181 5.0 for $300 October 2013, now look at 5.0 prices. WOW :o

RE: TMNT 1 vs NM 98, If print runs and value were all the same, which book would more people want to own? It's an impossible question, but it makes me wonder. I'm sure a lot of people don't ask for TMNT because 1. There aren't many to go around, and 2. If there was a copy available, they couldn't afford it. So does that make it less of a key, or more of a key? I'm not sure.

1st Wolverine is the huge BA key in part because it's the most attainable MEGA first appearance for a lot of collectors. If you can't afford AF15, maybe you can afford IH181 (and if you can't afford Tec 27, maybe you can afford AF15, and so on.) That buying pattern has trickled down to NM98, in conjunction with movie speculation, so it has been on a crazy ride.

I sold my NM98 9.8 for just under 1k back around September, or whenever the movie news first broke. May look like a mistake to some, but I got back about 4 times what I paid for it, and I won't personally miss the book. If I had a TMNT 1, I wouldn't give it up at all. It's all a matter of personal collecting preference, of course, but I still feel pretty safe in saying that the long term cultural impact of the Turtles will long outshine Deadpool. TMNT are now an evergreen boys licensing property like The Transformers. They're not going anywhere. Deadpool is certainly very popular, but he's not well known outside of comic/gaming/nerd circles. His popularity has yet to be proven in the mainstream, which is what I think drives the popularity of the big keys. Everyone knows who Spider-Man and Wolverine are, so they want those books. Maybe in 20 years Deadpool will be as ubiquitous as the Turtles, and NM98 truly will be the king of the copper keys. Or maybe the movie will tank and he'll fade back to his relative level of fame.

Part of the disconnect for me personally may be that while TMNT are the quintessential Copper book, NM98 barely squeaks under the Copper wire. History will likely disagree (in fact, it already does), but in my mind and heart, NM98 is a modern book.

I normally wouldn't bother having an opinion on his, but it's late in the work day and the hours are draaaaaaagging. All things being equal, I'd rather have a 9.8 Comico Primer 2 over both of 'em!

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say TMNT is the bigger key. It is definitely a much more important book than NM 98 or ASM 300 in every regard. The impact TMNT have had on pop culture alone is enough to say that it is the most important book out of the 3.

As others have pointed out, the cost difference is not even comparable, so naturally you're going to have a lot more people asking for copies of NM and ASM. That really can't be dismissed from the equation.

Also, NM 98 has a slight edge due to the movie coming out, which obviously is going to drag more people to the table right now.

What if there happens to be a really good TMNT movie in the future?

An awesome movie with a larger demographic should be the clear winner. And no offence, but Ryan Reynolds is no actor. I don't even think he's pleasant to look at.

Deadp-who?

TMNT is a worldwide mega sensation and has been since the late 80's....

How are we even comparing NM 98 to TMNT 1?...

Thus if TMNT 1 vs. NM 98 - TMNT 1 wins hands down

TMNT 1 vs IH 181 - TMNT 1 still wins... if I could have one or the other, I'd pick TMNT 1

Deadp-who?

TMNT 1 vs IH 181 - TMNT 1 still wins... if I could have one or the other, I'd pick TMNT 1

Absolutely "no" to the bolded part.

-J.

Deadp-who?

Absolutely "no" to the bolded part.

-J.

Agreed. I can see a time where that could change though.

doubling in value since just 2013 on most grades. Interesting....... hm

Hmmmm the Action Comics #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15 of the Bronze Age is on fire!

Infinite Supply with an Infinite +1 amount of buyers.

What in your opinion is the #1 key of the Copper Age? (I do not think it is TMNT #1 BTW)

John

I actually can't think of anything other than TMNT 1. The fan base is incredibly large and growing thanks to continued media presence. Relative rarity (compared to IH 181) plus increasing demand, I honestly can't think of another contender. What's your pick?

See my last post.

TMNT #1 while is great book to own is still not as popular as NM 98 now and going forward. (Even ASM 300)

The OP's question is what is the #1 key of the Copper Age. It's hard to imagine New Mutants 98 in 9.8 selling for $15K, which is what TMNT #1 in that grade goes for.

Are there more fans of Deadpool right now? Sure. Infinitely more copies of his first appearance too.

TMNT #1 spawned a multi-media franchise and got self publishing on the map. It's the #1 key of the Copper Age. It's hard to think of a legitimate alternative. Deadpool is a popular character. Maybe he'll even stay that way. But he didn't fundamentally change the comic market. TMNT #1 did.

TMNT 1 is the number 1 copper key hands down. Other books may gain steam here and there based on trends but TMNT 1 is the AF 15 of copper. It is tested and proven.

Exactly. I don't even see how this could be debated.

TMNT 1 is the number 1 copper key hands down. Other books may gain steam here and there based on trends but TMNT 1 is the AF 15 of copper. It is tested and proven.

Exactly. I don't even see how this could be debated.

It can't. OP was just playing Summer's Eve.

Lets say at any comic book show you arranged on a wall a CGC 9.6/9.8 copy of:

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

In what order would you think people would inquire about each?

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

If you've priced them at the same price and they are the same grade I'd expect they would ask about the tnmt first. Then the asm then the nm.

ASM 300 TMNT #1 NM #98

(Left) (center) (right)

If you've priced them at the same price and they are the same grade I'd expect they would ask about the tnmt first. Then the asm then the nm.

That doesn't really make sense ...

If someone priced a TMNT #1 in 9.8 at the price an ASM #300 9.8 goes for, then, yes, there'd be people stampeding to grab that book. It doesn't mean anything other than some lucky buyer getting the deal of the century.

Here is the thing when it comes to Wolverine.

Marvel is obviously holding back on the X-Men and Fantastic Four. However, it seems as if they begrudgingly recognize that Wolverine is a Marvel Top Tier character. There will always be interest in Wolverine and from a marketing standpoint, the character still sells in all media formats.

Does Deadpool have that staying power? Who knows. It will be interesting to see over the next twenty years.

The thing with TMNT is that there are definitely fewer copies out there than Hulk 181's. I believe it is simply a case where the demand for Hulk 181 is just so exceedingly high.