• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Seeing as the response has been positive, I'll try and drop some more 10 cent DC war in the next couple of days.

Maybe it's becuase I have been collecting these for a while and am sort of familiar with seeing covers from this genre and era, but I am constantly surprised by how few people have seen many of these covers. I'll try and pull some various sweeties that may not be that familiar and pop them onto the list.

This thread seems to have a bit of a DC bias (fine by me!) but that said, anyone interested in seeing some old pre and early code Atlas? In addition to filling up on DC war, my side project has been to get all the vicious Russ Heath Atlas War covers. Rare, but soooooo satisfying.

Lemme know.

Shep

This thread seems to have a bit of a DC bias (fine by me!) but that said, anyone interested in seeing some old pre and early code Atlas? In addition to filling up on DC war, my side project has been to get all the vicious Russ Heath Atlas War covers. Rare, but soooooo satisfying.

Shep,

yeah this thread is concentrated on the DCs and it might have been the intent of it; however, more of those "older" 10 cents War covers can be found in the Gold Forum in such threads as:

Best War Covers for War centric covers

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age for anything non-horror

and even in The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror for horror covers

and all the pinned threads about Horror, Timelys and miscellaneous GA books.

This thread seems to have a bit of a DC bias (fine by me!)

Just coincidental, because these boards tend to be superhero-centric and there ain't but 2 Marvel superhero 10 centers, so by default there's a bunch of DC books.

but that said, anyone interested in seeing some old pre and early code Atlas? In addition to filling up on DC war, my side project has been to get all the vicious Russ Heath Atlas War covers. Rare, but soooooo satisfying.

Lemme know.

The answer is YES! I'm primarily a superhero collector, except for Duck books, Turoks and the odd war book, so seeing some of the amazing covers, particularly on a lot of pre-superhero Marvel/Atlas books and the various war books from DC and other publishers, has been a revelation.

I'll bring up some posts in the next couple of days. First up, a feast of DC war greytones. As I've gotten deeper back into the 1950s books, I've discovered lots of greytones and 'partial' greytones that don't pop up that often.

Then, maybe early next week I'll lay on some Atlas. Some are from the 1952-54 era, but they are soooooooo nice that I gotta share 'em. And they are all ten cents. And I am on a bit of a war kick lately on this thread.

Which begs the question.... is there room for a separate Silver Age War thread? Could be.

Shep

I'll bring up some posts in the next couple of days. First up, a feast of DC war greytones. As I've gotten deeper back into the 1950s books, I've discovered lots of greytones and 'partial' greytones that don't pop up that often.

Nice! Looking forward to them. droooooooooooool thumbsup2.gif

Then, maybe early next week I'll lay on some Atlas. Some are from the 1952-54 era, but they are soooooooo nice that I gotta share 'em. And they are all ten cents. And I am on a bit of a war kick lately on this thread.

Which begs the question.... is there room for a separate Silver Age War thread? Could be.

Shep

You might do a search as I think there was a war thread. I might be confusing it with one of the GA section, however. In any event, definitely looking forward to more posts! 50s books rock!!! cloud9.gif

Hey everyone,

Again, not high grade books, but undeniably wonderful. Greytone covers are one of the most intriguing areas of silver age comics (for me, anyway) and DC did so many beautiful ones. Some of these are full-on greytone, while others use greytone washes and solid linework.

GI Combat 44 - not a great copy, but it's flat and the colour is nice. There is a beauty CGC copy in the nines floating around out there. Saw it at San Diego a couple of years back for $1600. This is the first DC issue, after they took the title over from Quality.

gic44.jpg

GI Combat 51 - Sweeeeet greytone. Got this off ebay a few years back for $14.

gic52.jpg

Star Spangled War #45 - First DC greytone, though that is debateable. Another iffy copy, but tough to find. Grandenetti cover.

ssws45.jpg

Star Spangled War #67 - Partial greytone. One of the great, unsung covers of the 50s.

ssws67.jpg

Star Spangled War #81 - PLEASE! Russ Heath at the top of his game.

ssws81.jpg

Our Army at War #56 - Greytone/linework mix from the brush of Joe Kubert.

oaaw56.jpg

Our Army at War #57 - Lovely greytone from Jerry Grandenetti.

oaaw57.jpg

Good stuff Shep, here's another Grandenetti. It's amazing that he did such great covers, because a lot of his interiors SUCKED.

Interesting. Anyone got some scans of his interior artwork?

Hey all,

In truth, I have to agree with Buttock. As much as I love Grandenetti's covers from the 1950s, his interior artwork was not as fine. Editor Bob Kanigher really leaned hard on him when he was doing the covers, but eased off on the insides. He did do some nice interior art jobs (Gunner & Sarge in particular), but a lot weren't up to the high level of Heath, Kubert, Drucker, Severin and the rest of the gang.

Rock bottom Grandenetti? His 'Force 3' work from 'All Out War', circa 1979-80. Not DC War's shining moment.

Shep

This cover seems to have been conceived and executed under the influence of psychotropic drugs..in heavy doses!! Truly mind-blowing! From Sterlings recent sale.....

mga52.jpg

Not only has he melted everything around him, but he's tanned the edges of the book too! 893whatthe.gif

This cover seems to have been conceived and executed under the influence of psychotropic drugs..in heavy doses!! Truly mind-blowing! From Sterlings recent sale.....

mga52.jpg

mga52.jpg

That's really cool, but why didn't he melt/burn his underwear?

In fact, with the "Good grief!", it looks sort of like someone slipped Charlie Brown a tab of acid, as drawn by Rick Griffin

Jack