• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,653 posts in this topic

Wow - Should I be more impressed by the book or the lack of glare on your scan? devil.gif

Kidding aside, this is an awesome book and from the look of that URC, a very very sharp copy in that grade. Congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now, what are these 5700 AD stories?

Wow - Should I be more impressed by the book or the lack of glare on your scan? devil.gif

I have a new scanner at home which, as you can see, doesn`t have the same glare problems as my office scanner. yay.gif

You know, I have no idea why this gets a notation in Overstreet (and hence on the CGC label). It`s not a meaningful distinction to any DC collector that I know. confused-smiley-013.gif Now, "grey tone", on the other hand... cloud9.gif

You know, I have no idea why this gets a notation in Overstreet (and hence on the CGC label). It`s not a meaningful distinction to any DC collector that I know. confused-smiley-013.gif Now, "grey tone", on the other hand... cloud9.gif

The 5700 AD stories are also sometimes called the "Solar Director" series, since that was GL's other job when he traveled to the future. They're pretty cool, and an example of what Julie Schwartz liked to do in his books: create a running sub-theme that the strip could return to every now and then for fresh ideas. Kind of like the Atom's Time Pool adventures, or Hawkman's stories back on Thanagar, or the early Schwartz Batman "Mystery Analysts of Gotham City" running series-within-the-series. Other Solar Director stories were in #12, #47 and #51, though there were also several sequels by later creative teams in the post-Gil Kane era. thumbsup2.gif

The 5700 AD stories are also sometimes called the "Solar Director" series, since that was GL's other job when he traveled to the future. They're pretty cool, and an example of what Julie Schwartz liked to do in his books: create a running sub-theme that the strip could return to every now and then for fresh ideas. Kind of like the Atom's Time Pool adventures, or Hawkman's stories back on Thanagar, or the early Schwartz Batman "Mystery Analysts of Gotham City" running series-within-the-series. Other Solar Director stories were in #12, #47 and #51, though there were also several sequels by later creative teams in the post-Gil Kane era. thumbsup2.gif

Great. Thanks Zonker. That's the kind of info I was looking for. thumbsup2.gif

one word - "WOW"......................... hail.gif

Thanks Harry, I thought you'd appreciate it! Needless to say I was ecstatic when it was offered to me.

Your copy is the 9.2?

nope - i loved this issue a bit too much............... frown.gif

Tim, how am I doing fighting against my ingrained esotericism?

This is from today's mailbag. Yes, I have another DC 10-center in my collection 893whatthe.gif

Nothing fancy I know and still in the 50's this being from 1959 -

1018305-Superboy74s.jpg

1018305-Superboy74s.jpg.9194694ef968a1f50e72accef6d6c08c.jpg

This is from today's mailbag. Yes, I have another DC 10-center in my collection 893whatthe.gif

You've restored my faith in you, Michael. A Superboy #74 is ALWAYS esoteric in my book. Well, at least compared to Avengers #4! poke2.gif

You've restored my faith in you, Michael. A Superboy #74 is ALWAYS esoteric in my book. Well, at least compared to Avengers #4! poke2.gif

boo.gif I thought I had gone mainstream sorry.gif Is there no love for Superboy out there?

893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice comic, Scrooge -- I've always loved that cover. One of the best of the first 100.

Here's a cool recent acquisition of mine as I shoot for lower and lower numbers of Batman and Detective:

1019105-det1.JPG

Classic cover, but my new scanner produces a horrible glare on these slabs.

1019105-det1.JPG.771e950afd7a009eca7354f11497f325.JPG