• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

I would recommend Bill's book to anyone who wants to enlighten themselves about the early days of fandom.

Some of the pictures are amazing. I like the one in the "White House " with the OA to the cover of Flash 120 hanging in the backround. That image has stuck with me for a long time.

I think Metro owns that OA now.

Heres a 10 center thats not part of the superhero gendre but is a pretty rare book.

Tom 1116698-RealSreenCartoons1292.jpg

That is a VERY tough book -- not a bad copy considering the scarcity. thumbsup2.gif

Pretty borderline to squeeze this into the SA, but it is a 10 center. Great washtone reminiscent of some WWII books (eg Terrific 4, and a lot of Schomburg stuff)

1118201-CaptSavage5.jpg

Oh man, I like that cover. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That cover is awesome! I love the death grimace on the Chinese/Korean fighter pilot's face, great line work.

Is the interior art of equal quality?

The first story is, it's by (I think) the same artist as the cover. The guy's name is Louis Rivelli. I've never heard of him before. The rest of the book is stock Avon stuff, which isn't bad - but isn't worth writing home about.

That cover is awesome! I love the death grimace on the Chinese/Korean fighter pilot's face, great line work.

The first story is, it's by (I think) the same artist as the cover. The guy's name is Louis Rivelli. I've never heard of him before. The rest of the book is stock Avon stuff, which isn't bad - but isn't worth writing home about.

If you could post a page or two of the interior art by Rivelli, that would be very cool. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ravielli did a reasonable amount of work for Atlas, though that art on that cover is so much better than his typical work that I did not recognize it as his.

You know, for silver age collectors, it just doesn't get any better than ten cent DC's. Here's a couple more Detectives. These are from the Cleveland collection.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the explosion of new posts! 893applaud-thumb.gif

How deep is the run of Detectives from the Cleveland collection, and how far back do they go? Are there other DC titles in there? This is a pedigree which I clearly know too little about.

Lots of runs. Was supposed to have a lot of nice copies from the war titles as well.

Speaking of Cleveland Detectives, Mark Wilson has this beauty up on eBay right now.

Excellent! It's about time someone posted an Adam Strange comic. yay.gif

Welcome to the 10 cent thread!

Ditto - welcome to the 10cent thread. that cover brings back lots of memories. i bought it off-the-rack at Jades (which was Sid's predecessor). it was a true DC Key............ I bought it in late summer 1958 when i was 10......(thumbs up

This was posted in the cover poll thread but definitely fits the criteria. The purple is deeper than what shows here but the scanner just won't pick up, which is a shame, because it's one of the reasons that I really love the book. This is the nicest copy I've found so far, but if anyone knows of higher grade copy (must be a pedigree or look like one), let me know as I'm definitely interested.

MIS55.jpg

Nowhere near as nice as Adamstrange's MIS, ( hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif ) but a nice purple DC nonetheless.

1158786-SSWS90.jpg

Tyrannous Rex on a purple cover is like having Ninja's in a chambara flick. cloud9.gif

Another great story back when Lana Lang was the busy body next door neighbor.

superboy_11.jpg

Also her second appearance overall and first cover appearance. They changed her looks quite a bit from those orginal appearances