• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,653 posts in this topic

First Silver Age Appearance of the Mad Hatter. Quest Completed!
Where'd you get this from? Dale Roberts? Sweet copy BTW!

Batman 49 came from Dale Roberts; the book arrived today.

Detective Comics 230 came from JHV Comics at SDCC back in 96.

BTW, comiclink has a Detective 230 in CGC 8.5 in their latest auction. DEfinitely a tough, tough, tough book to find in just about any kind of decent shape. You might want to place a bid.

A new arrival. You know, I think this issue of SA is one of the rarest to get in decnt grade. It sure was tough finding this one.

SA_54.jpg

Very nice, I don't see this issue much.

Back in October 1998, Michelle Nolan wrote an article on some of the scarcer Action Comics citing various and sundry reasons for their scarcity. Excellent and informative article, this Action 224 was prominently featured in her article. It's always been my favorite Al Plastino cover. Though not a fan favorite, he outdid himself with this cover! Enjoy!

79650.jpg.7c0521f46c2c85d63bc83769be8a03f8.jpg

Back in October 1998, Michelle Nolan wrote an article on some of the scarcer Action Comics citing various and sundry reasons for their scarcity. Excellent and informative article, this Action 224 was prominently featured in her article. It's always been my favorite Al Plastino cover. Though not a fan favorite, he outdid himself with this cover! Enjoy!

Sounds like an interesting article! I didn't know there was anything special about this issue...I got this low grade copy off Ebay a couple of months ago for ten bucks. Your copy is a great one!

Action224.jpg

Edited by JohnT

Just got this key book and cracked it out of its case. I've always worshiped this book from afar...love the purple and green color base. Looking forward to reading it!

Showcase23.jpg

Sounds like an interesting article! I didn't know there was anything special about this issue...I got this low grade copy off Ebay a couple of months ago for ten bucks. Your copy is a great one!

Action224.jpg

Let me tell you something: for ten bucks your copy is a much better deal than mine was and IMHO the book is still visually appealing, in spite of its defects. I overpaid, at the time, for my copy and I bought it probably back in 1994 or 1995. The dealer at the SDCC just wouldn't come down on his price--no matter how hard I tried. Oh well! I just never bought from him again, but I guess he realized how scarce the book was. BTW, the article appeared in a magazine called Comic Book Marketplace (CBM issue number 63, October 1998.) The article is entitled "Missing In Action". Nolan has written hundreds of articles over the years; this one was one of her best. Try EBAY or board members and perhaps you'll luck out and find the issue. The cover of the issue is a recreation of Superman #14. You can't miss it! And I love that Green Lantern Showcase, too! You have a lot of great books!

Action224.jpg

Let me tell you something: for ten bucks your copy is a much better deal than mine was and IMHO the book is still visually appealing, in spite of its defects. I overpaid, at the time, for my copy and I bought it probably back in 1994 or 1995. The dealer at the SDCC just wouldn't come down on his price--no matter how hard I tried. Oh well! I just never bought from him again, but I guess he realized how scarce the book was. BTW, the article appeared in a magazine called Comic Book Marketplace (CBM issue number 63, October 1998.) The article is entitled "Missing In Action". Nolan has written hundreds of articles over the years; this one was one of her best. Try EBAY or board members and perhaps you'll luck out and find the issue. The cover of the issue is a recreation of Superman #14. You can't miss it! And I love that Green Lantern Showcase, too! You have a lot of great books!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that CBM issue.

Do you remember what some of the reasons were for some issues to be scarce?

Action224.jpg

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that CBM issue.

Do you remember what some of the reasons were for some issues to be scarce?

1 theory: Kids who sought out Superman or persuaded their parents to buy his adventures preferred Superman issues to Action comics because ACtion comics contained only one Superman story. Backup features weren't as popular and contained 2nd or even 3rd tier characters. If Action comics had contained more compelling heroes they would've been sought out more; Congo Bill and even Tommy Tommorow just weren't that popular though personally I've always liked Tommy Tommorrow.

2nd theory: A minimal almost non-extistent attempt at continuity.

3rd theory: Luthor appearances were few and far between during issues 146-241.

Let it be noted however that I have found some gems during this rather lackuluster period and Action 224 I believe with its compelling cover is one example. Have fun looking for issues from this period. It's a real challenge to find them--especially in grade!

Steve

Yes, that 228 is an awesome cover!

I always thought Actions were more common that Supermans. (shrug)