• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 2

200 posts in this topic

In other words I feel if they thought the crease across Colossus's butt was a flaw the book would have gotten a 9.0. If they determined it was a production crease (which I feel they did) it would get a 9.4.

Exactly. I thought it was a no-brainer that it was a production crease, hence the 9.4 grade.

I am back into comics after collecting as a kid in the 80's and this is my first time grading and I find this contest to be a great tool for me.

I had a question regarding the X-Men 95 and I think I was the furthest off than anyone on that book. I saw the crease on the front cover and thought it was fairly long and color breaking. Someone later mentioned that this was a production error - is that true? If so, and for my learning purposes if this crease wasn't a production error what would the grade range from CGC be? This will help me to learn and I would be appreciative of any insight.

Thanks!

Patrick

You'll find production creases easier to identify as you get more familiar with them, but you might not find yourself agreeing with CGC's stance on them ( which is to largely ignore them). Prior to seeing books with this flaw slabbed, I treated them similar to any crease the same length and severity when grading. Nowadays, I'd probably use a qualified description (i.e. "looks like a NM but has 3" production crease") rather than ignore them or try to adjust for them.

Bullseye on the Avengers 28.

Guessed 9.0 on the X Men 95.

So overall, two bullseyes and 2 books that I undergraded by 2 full grades. Not exactly consistent.

Damn I did the same thing. I can't imagine that X 95 over a 9.0. (shrug)

Same here...I was shocked it was over 9.0. But congrats to the owner :applause:

Bullseye on the Avengers 28.

Guessed 9.0 on the X Men 95.

So overall, two bullseyes and 2 books that I undergraded by 2 full grades. Not exactly consistent.

Damn I did the same thing. I can't imagine that X 95 over a 9.0. (shrug)

I'm not sure what the big deal was with the X-Men. Nutsac creases are not taken into consideration by CGC, and I was actually thinking that if the bottom-right mini-crease was SCS, then it might have been a 9.6.

I guessed 9.6. I knew CGC wouldn't hit it for the production crease, and felt the giant scan was magnifying very minor imperfections and and what might be some dirt/discoloration, but was hard to tell, especially on a white cover, where frequently those sort of things really pop in contrast in a scan. I also had a feeling this would be one of those books that was at the high end of its potential grading range. I did miss the spot of rust on the lower staple though.

+1 :shy:

I think it's a soft grade.

Maybe, but I think if you look at many BA 9.4's using the MONSTER SCAN METHOD then you'll see issues that aren't visible at regular size. I'm also curious what you graded the World's Finest in the first round? That was truly a doh! grade.

I gave the WF 88 a 5.5, and that was figuring in a slight bump.

Yeah, I agree with you, that 6.5 was a pwesent.

Yeah, I agree with you, that 6.5 was a pwesent.

the scary thing is..... 28 5 people nailed it !! :o

Even scarier.

No kidding. There's 28 people I won't buy from. The grade I'll get if I submit their comics might be the same one CGC gives. :insane:

I don't think anyone should be judged by this contest unless they are consistently way off

The second guessing that goes on is a factor here

Whatever grades people give out for the entertainment purposes of the contest should be taken with a grain of salt.

Absolutely no one should be judged by their answers in the game. It's a "guess the grade" game, not a "what would you grade this if you were selling it raw" contest. I wouldn't read too much into whatever numerical grade people are throwing around.

I am, as I'm sure a lot of people are, under grading, and still falling short on a couple of books. If I over compensate to get more points for the sake of the contest, it doesn't make me or anyone else an under grader.

Whatever grades people give out for the entertainment purposes of the contest should be taken with a grain of salt.

Absolutely no one should be judged by their answers in the game. It's a "guess the grade" game, not a "what would you grade this if you were selling it raw" contest. I wouldn't read too much into whatever numerical grade people are throwing around.

I am, as I'm sure a lot of people are, under grading, and still falling short on a couple of books. If I over compensate to get more points for the sake of the contest, it doesn't make me or anyone else an under grader.

Absolutely should.

Absolutely should.

I'm judging Andy by the grades CGC is giving the comics.

Absolutely should.

Really? In real life or for purposes of keeping score? And I'm not being facetious when I ask that.

Absolutely should.

Really? In real life or for purposes of keeping score? And I'm not being facetious when I ask that.

I'm just trying to get people to giggle.

Of course this is a game and we're grading from scans. There's only so much you can do without having the book in your hands.

Nobody should be judged harshly for the results from playing in this contest, and I sincerely doubt they will be.

Now, with all of that being said, CGC has hired on the winners of the two previous competitions, and put them in charge of their regional eBay divisions. So, don't underestimate these "guess the grade" games. 2c

Absolutely should.

:roflmao: Great Fun so far!

Absolutely should.

I'm just trying to get people to giggle.

Of course this is a game and we're grading from scans. There's only so much you can do without having the book in your hands.

Nobody should be judged harshly for the results from playing in this contest, and I sincerely doubt they will be.

Now, with all of that being said, CGC has hired on the winners of the two previous competitions, and put them in charge of their regional eBay divisions. So, don't underestimate these "guess the grade" games. 2c

(thumbs u

Sorry.........I'm dense and don't get keyboard humor.........carry on.