• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 2

200 posts in this topic

I went 9.0 on the 95. Readers crease along the bottom edge along with the previously mentioned flaws. Almost went 8.5.

That's where I was. I thought 9.2 with a small deduction for the bottom staple. Good examples for sure!

Bullseye on the Avengers 28.

Guessed 9.0 on the X Men 95.

So overall, two bullseyes and 2 books that I undergraded by 2 full grades. Not exactly consistent.

Damn I did the same thing. I can't imagine that X 95 over a 9.0. (shrug)

So overall, two bullseyes and 2 books that I undergraded by 2 full grades. Not exactly consistent.

Exactly. Just.......too much going on with the book to my eyes.

I am back into comics after collecting as a kid in the 80's and this is my first time grading and I find this contest to be a great tool for me.

I had a question regarding the X-Men 95 and I think I was the furthest off than anyone on that book. I saw the crease on the front cover and thought it was fairly long and color breaking. Someone later mentioned that this was a production error - is that true? If so, and for my learning purposes if this crease wasn't a production error what would the grade range from CGC be? This will help me to learn and I would be appreciative of any insight.

Thanks!

Patrick

If so, and for my learning purposes if this crease wasn't a production error what would the grade range from CGC be?

It's not physically possible to have a regular crease of that length and shape, and it was really either a greggy nutsac crease or a rip.

I'm not sure what the big deal was with the X-Men. Nutsac creases are not taken into consideration by CGC, and I was actually thinking that if the bottom-right mini-crease was SCS, then it might have been a 9.6.

I think it's a soft grade.

The staples are heading in the wrong direction, there are color breaking reading creases at the bottom of the cover, top left corner abraided, top right corner looks to have a very tiny crease/impact point.

The back cover just looks on the dirty side.

9.0 was obviously the wrong answer though, so maybe the book presents better in hand than in scan. The spine is really nice, but it out kicks the coverage of the rest of the book, to me. I didn't take the production crease into account in my assessment, as I figured CGC looked past it.

Just my take on it. Which has already been proven incorrect...........

Maybe, but I think if you look at many BA 9.4's using the MONSTER SCAN METHOD then you'll see issues that aren't visible at regular size. I'm also curious what you graded the World's Finest in the first round? That was truly a doh! grade.

The staples are heading in the wrong direction, there are color breaking reading creases at the bottom of the cover, top left corner abraided, top right corner looks to have a very tiny crease/impact point.

The back cover just looks on the dirty side.

9.0 was obviously the wrong answer though, so maybe the book presents better in hand than in scan. The spine is really nice, but it out kicks the coverage of the rest of the book, to me. I didn't take the production crease into account in my assessment, as I figured CGC looked past it.

Just my take on it. Which has already been proven incorrect...........

I also did not count the crease,however I did notice foxing on the front and back cover. Maybe I just blew up the picture too big and caused scanner artifacts to appear as defects. (shrug)

If so, and for my learning purposes if this crease wasn't a production error what would the grade range from CGC be?

It's not physically possible to have a regular crease of that length and shape, and it was really either a greggy nutsac crease or a rip.

thank you for the response, much appreciated!

I am back into comics after collecting as a kid in the 80's and this is my first time grading and I find this contest to be a great tool for me.

I had a question regarding the X-Men 95 and I think I was the furthest off than anyone on that book. I saw the crease on the front cover and thought it was fairly long and color breaking. Someone later mentioned that this was a production error - is that true? If so, and for my learning purposes if this crease wasn't a production error what would the grade range from CGC be? This will help me to learn and I would be appreciative of any insight.

Thanks!

Patrick

I gave my assessment earlier, but here it is again:

I said 9.2 on the X-Men. I thought if the crease across Colossus's butt was determined to be production it was a 9.4. If damage it was a 9.0. I seriously thought of going 9.4 but played it safe with splitting the difference.

In other words I feel if they thought the crease across Colossus's butt was a flaw the book would have gotten a 9.0. If they determined it was a production crease (which I feel they did) it would get a 9.4.

I'm not sure what the big deal was with the X-Men. Nutsac creases are not taken into consideration by CGC, and I was actually thinking that if the bottom-right mini-crease was SCS, then it might have been a 9.6.

I guessed 9.6. I knew CGC wouldn't hit it for the production crease, and felt the giant scan was magnifying very minor imperfections and and what might be some dirt/discoloration, but was hard to tell, especially on a white cover, where frequently those sort of things really pop in contrast in a scan. I also had a feeling this would be one of those books that was at the high end of its potential grading range. I did miss the spot of rust on the lower staple though.