• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 3 Results

71 posts in this topic

Really? I nailed the Supes and was way way off on the FF? Totally the opposite of what I expected. That FF was meant to screw with everyone.

Honestly, there were no books used in this grading contest to screw with anyone.

There will sometimes be books that I chose because they had special faults. For instance, "cover completely split and re-attached with tape" or a book that had 24 holes along the spine, as it was held together with string at one point. I'm sending these books in so I can learn, so we can learn. Certainly not to "trick" anybody.

As for this ff46 book, I knew it was pretty heavily tanned, but it was also a book that I figured would still be good to have graded. I dont remember opening it up and looking at the interior covers and thinking anything special.

As I said before, if I have any information to give you guys, that will be helpful in determining the grade, I will give it. I'm not going to post a book and remind you to not forget the tanning.

Use the scans and go by what you are seeing, just as every single other person here is doing.

This playing field is level and the same for everyone. While it sucks being off on a book here or there, try to enjoy yourselves. 2c

:applause:

I find that I tend to do better when I go by immediate impression in matching CGC grades.

I totally agree, and the more I research, the more I look at similar CGC issues in comparable grades, the worse my grades and contest results are.

Trust your first impression and treat the book apart from others, just as a CGC grader would.

I have been only studying CGC grading for the last 5 years or so. So I definitely feel I have gotten very lucky so far, we'll see just how long that lasts...

The Supes struck me as a 3.5 right out of the gate, the FF was a gamble and I suspected I would be low. I had a JIM book a while back in very similar condition that graded a 6.5, it was just slightly nicer and I used that as a benchmark.

I have a suspicion that things are not going to get easier....

Is it just me, or is this going faster than past grading contests?

That's why I missed a day! 48 hours in between rounds is :ohnoez:

This contest has always been 48 hours.

The March Madness one could be spread out a little more, I can't recall right now.

Nik's grading contests were 20 rounds, 20 books. Not sure of the time between rounds, but I think it was also 48 hours.

I have been impressed with how smoothly and well run this contest has been.

It has been quite a bit of fun. Thanks to the organizers.

Absolutely. :applause:

You should take notes.