• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books

143 posts in this topic

So what would entice the seller to offer books in here? He doesn't gain anything monetarily. There's a much smaller market in here than on eBay. And for those sellers like me who have an LLC and do this full-time, we get to deduct those fees as a business expense when tax time comes around. We don't get to deduct a a 10% discount. So again...what's the incentive? (shrug)

I agree with what you are saying, but thought it worthwhile to point out what I believe is a problem with your math.

Say you have a book that cost you $100. You sell it on eBay for $200, and so you pay a $20 fee to eBay. On your taxes, you have a profit of $100, a deduction of $20 for the fees, so you end up paying taxes on $80.

You sell that same book here, offering the "eBay discount". So it sells for $180, you have a profit of $80 and no deductions, so you pay taxes on $80.

I believe the only time a deduction would be better for you is if it was in some category like a Schedule A misc. deduction where you have to exceed some percentage threshold and the deduction helped you meet that level.

Say you have a book that cost you $100. You sell it on eBay for $200, and so you pay a $20 fee to eBay. On your taxes, you have a profit of $100, a deduction of $20 for the fees, so you end up paying taxes on $80.

You sell that same book here, offering the "eBay discount". So it sells for $180, you have a profit of $80 and no deductions, so you pay taxes on $80.

Using this same example, the book selling on ebay makes the seller and $80 profit and the buyer is out $200 for the book.

If the ebay discount is $20 why should the buyer get all or most of the money?

If the market value of the book is $200 there is nothing wrong with a seller trying to get $200 for the book whether they have to pay an ebay fee or not.

In the end it comes down to what the market (here, ebay, or anywhere else) will bear.

I can see a buyer saying something like this:

"No way I am paying ebay prices here. The seller should let the buyer have it since they would have it on ebay anyway. Wait, Thanos is in the book? Screw the ebay discount I gotta have it."