• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEROES 2016!!!!! JUNE 17-19

305 posts in this topic

It seemed like the author is disappointed he couldn't get in a game of Magic at Heroes. doh!

Another low point was him criticizing Shelton Drum for lack of cross-publicity. If anyone has attended a small show in North Carolina, they know Shelton because he is the one who mans the Heroes tables at these shows – on weekends. His support and presence has kept a lot of these shows in business.

The writer seems very naive about the comics scene in North Carolina.

A not-so-good review of the show. I totally disagree with this. :sumo:

link https://nerdnationmagazine.com/2016/06/21/convention-report-heroescon-2016-charlotte-nc/

Wow this guy is full of mess. I'll echo what everyone else has said. But add, "no night life" Please. Either stand in the Westin lobby or walk 5 mins to the Epicenter and go to all the clubs. Jesus.

Heroes is the show here in NC. Period. We had 1 wizard world a couple of years back and it was a disaster. Smaller shows like X-Con, NCCC or Fayetteville can only do so much. He should attend those and then compare to Heroes.

On the flip side, this guy gets it: http://geeksideshow.com/con-tour-heroes-con-2016/

It was my first time at that show, and I'm glad I went. I had a blast with Rich Henn and CGC. Nightlife was more than ample there. Wound up buying some Archie OA, left the show really pleased tho. I'll post my pictures eventually!

It was my first time at that show, and I'm glad I went. I had a blast with Rich Henn and CGC. Nightlife was more than ample there. Wound up buying some Archie OA, left the show really pleased tho. I'll post my pictures eventually!

Much to the chagrin of of some, I walked away alive and in tact, thanks to my awesome assistant, Baltimore Lauren!

:gossip: Although the poundcake bomb at the Ale House had potential to take me out.

We had a great time, we did 3 short boxes of signature series and liberated a beer tap.

Okay, BL did the liberating. They had it coming :thumbsup:

Much to the chagrin of of some, I walked away alive and in tact, thanks to my awesome assistant, Baltimore Lauren!

:gossip: Although the poundcake bomb at the Ale House had potential to take me out.

We had a great time, we did 3 short boxes of signature series and liberated a beer tap.

Don't forget your shot of tequila! And the unaired episode of Barzinga!

Henn can put some beer away guys and gals. A+.

It seemed like the author is disappointed he couldn't get in a game of Magic at Heroes. doh!

I said something along those lines on Facebook (politley).

People go to this show because they want a comic show and they want to stay away from San Diego, NYCC, Megacon, Fan Expo, etc for that very reason.

Anyone saying anything negative about this show doesn't understand what a good comic show is. This is literally the best pure comic/art show there is.

Couldn't agree more. I urge everyone to visit this show at least once in their life.

Uhhh, tons of comic dealers and artists? What a bummer. Sounds like a kick butt show to me. Real "old school". I sure wish I was there. Tell the haters to go to a Wizard show or SDCC. Everything but comic dealers and artists... I'm tempted to give it a try maybe next year. Plus Charlotte is a wonderful town.

Don't forget your shot of tequila! And the unaired episode of Barzinga!

Henn can put some beer away guys and gals. A+.

those shots were evil

Con Report:

Overall sales were slightly below average for me. Sales were down 30% from 2015. Tons of competition in the room as Shelton sold more booths than ever before. Attendance was up 5% overall. Saturday was crowded as usual. Sunday seemed a lot slower than usual. Had some good sales on Thursday (Ted at Superworld and Allen James) and it ended up being my best day. Friday sales were right on track. Saturday was down about 1/2 and Sunday sales were very slow.

Only made it down to the other side of the room once and that was late on Sunday.

Good seeing board members John Bailey, Thomas (DJ), Thomas (Green), George (Jive), Greggy, Arex and many more too numerous to mention.

Always great being across from Rick (G.A.tor). and across from Al (Basement).

Fun time as usual. Bought a lot. (Basement and New Force got some of my money). Earl Shaw always gets a stack of hundreds from me. Richie (Tomorrow Treasures) had some great deals and got well over $1000 from me late on Sunday. Traded for and bought a few neat books that walked in the convention. (All Top #11 and a All Star #19) Wish I had gotten out more to shop.

Fun times for sure - let's do it again next year!!!

Con Report:

Overall sales were slightly below average for me. Sales were down 30% from 2015. Tons of competition in the room as Shelton sold more booths than ever before. Attendance was up 5% overall. Saturday was crowded as usual. Sunday seemed a lot slower than usual. Had some good sales on Thursday (Ted at Superworld and Allen James) and it ended up being my best day. Friday sales were right on track. Saturday was down about 1/2 and Sunday sales were very slow.

Only made it down to the other side of the room once and that was late on Sunday.

Good seeing board members John Bailey, Thomas (DJ), Thomas (Green), George (Jive), Greggy, Arex and many more too numerous to mention.

Always great being across from Rick (G.A.tor). and across from Al (Basement).

Fun time as usual. Bought a lot. (Basement and New Force got some of my money). Earl Shaw always gets a stack of hundreds from me. Richie (Tomorrow Treasures) had some great deals and got well over $1000 from me late on Sunday. Traded for and bought a few neat books that walked in the convention. (All Top #11 and a All Star #19) Wish I had gotten out more to shop.

Fun times for sure - let's do it again next year!!!

Thanks for the Con recap. One of the reasons I didn't make it a priority to set up again down at Heroes is what you are describing. Seemed to be way too many dealers for 1 room so we were all competing with each other and there is only so many people looking for a New Mutants Annual 2 or Wolverine Limited Series. I also hated the terribly slow Sunday and standing around waiting to break down when there hasn't been a sale in 2 hours. Other Cons I've set up at actually picked up a bit right before the end but that one seemed to completely die at the end of the day Sunday.

A little con report from us....

We don't do any Thursday sales since I don't set up till Friday morn....

started setting up about 8am and by 12 I still wasn't finished lol

was a slightly different set up for us, and I brought a LOT of inventory (out side of previous shows where I have brought action 1/tec 27, this was the most $'s I've ever had at a show)...

so, I had plenty to choose from....higher priced ga slabbed keys like 2 copies of batman 1, captain America 1, all star 8, 3 copies of wonder woman 1, multiples of every silver age key ( 6 af15's, 9 bb28, 4 sc4, 8 hulk 1's etc), as well as 2 boxes of ga batman and superman raw books (sold over 50% of them), as well as a nice silver age and bronze age dc collection, and our usual gold, silver, bronze slabbed wall books, sprinkled with higher demand modern/copper and over 600 raw copies of $50-500 silver/bronze/copper keys

I don't generally do a lot of dealer sales, since most of my inventory is procured from other dealers or auction houses, and I just don't have any margin for my fellow sellers...so, I rely on collector sales...and we did quite a bit..

in fact, was our best Heroes con ever, in terms of sales....partly because normally heroes is our second con of the year (after megacon, which is always one of our best sales shows)...but because we didn't set up at megacon, we had our "best" selection of inv available for Heroes, and folks seemed to enjoy...

after I finish with our store move, I will detail most sales, but off the top of my head highlight 4-5 figure sales were

ww1

sc4

af15

hulk 1

jim 83

xmen 1

asm1

dd1

cap America 2

tec 62

I did tell sheltn after the con, that sunday we need to end at 4 of 5pm....agree with all others about that

Gator you had a great setup. I snoozed, and was looking for that Batman 81 you had on Sunday but it was gone lol The box of GA Superman and Batman was great too.

If the con were to close at 5 on Sunday, then it needs to open at 10. Sunday already feels short IMO.

As a buyer, to all the dealers, here is my advice. Take debit/credit. Please. I did a $900 deal with one dealer who was cash only and it would have been easier with some plastic. (yes I did bring cash, but still)

As a buyer who has left cons without buying a single comic, due to lack of dealers, I enjoyed the saturation of dealers at Heroes.

Prices did seem a little high tho here and there. You had to do some hunting for a bargain.

Gator you had a great setup. I snoozed, and was looking for that Batman 81 you had on Sunday but it was gone lol The box of GA Superman and Batman was great too.

If the con were to close at 5 on Sunday, then it needs to open at 10. Sunday already feels short IMO.

Charlotte is smack dab in the middle of the bible belt so I'd expect very little traffic before the standard church hours are over. Based on last year 11-4 seems like a good time period to be open.

Charlotte is smack dab in the middle of the bible belt so I'd expect very little traffic before the standard church hours are over. Based on last year 11-4 seems like a good time period to be open.

^^^This^^^

It wasn't too long ago that most stores in the area wouldn't open until 1pm on Sunday's; so that their employee's would be able to make it to church service. It has only been in the last 10 to 12 years that this has changed; but there are still lots of stores that don't open until after 11am on Sunday's here.

Thanks for the Con recap. One of the reasons I didn't make it a priority to set up again down at Heroes is what you are describing. Seemed to be way too many dealers for 1 room so we were all competing with each other and there is only so many people looking for a New Mutants Annual 2 or Wolverine Limited Series. I also hated the terribly slow Sunday and standing around waiting to break down when there hasn't been a sale in 2 hours. Other Cons I've set up at actually picked up a bit right before the end but that one seemed to completely die at the end of the day Sunday.

I think it matters on what you are looking to purchase; for me there were maybe 1/2 dozen dealers that carried the books (in the condition I wanted) that I was looking to add to my collection. So this limited me to dealers like Dale, Rick, Greg and a few others; since they had both the inventory and the books in the condition I was looking for. So if you were looking for the latest hot book; then yes everyone had them on hand; but if you were looking for higher grade silver age non key books then your shopping options were less as to who had them on hand.

Psy

Here it is Thursday,and I'm still wore out from the show! Was thinking about doing Baltimore but I think I'm going to pass as Heroes was pretty draining and it's going to be tough to rebuild my stock in 2 months. Sold my Superman 10,Superboy 1,Lois Lane 1 and nearly every bronze/copper/modern key that was $50+. Hottest modern was probably X-Men 221..sold atleast 15 copies $20-$40...Pre-Unity Valiants were strong for me...I thought last year was a fluke but there's still interest in 'em!...Graded books were slow for me,and usually are at cons...they do better for me on Ebay...A few books that I had and didn't really have any interest from customers were Batman 181 CGC 7.5...ASM 129 CGC 7.0...FF 52 CBCS 5.0...(2) Raw copies of ASM 300...(3) raw copies of FF 45...all came home with me....I'd say the most requested book that I didn't have was Werewolf by Night #32...sold my only copy on Thursday to a dealer...I had my full booth set up on Thursday afternoon and did the best day of sales for the weekend with dealers that day...Friday/Saturday were almost dead even...Saturday started off really slow and I was wondering if it might not be a good day,but it picked up steam around noon and stayed strong until 4 or so...Sunday was slower but moved my Superboy #1 to a guy at the end of the day that had been looking at it since Friday. Good way to end the show! 10-4 Sunday would be great instead of 11-6. I'm a 5 1/2 drive away and getting home at midnight after a long 3-4 days would be a lot better than 1:30-2am. The guys that came from Florida or up north more than likely had to spring for another hotel night somewhere along the way home. It was my best show ever,and am prepaid for next year already! Great job to everybody involved with the show and it was good to see some familiar faces from these boards. Thanks to everybody that came and spent some money with me as there was definitely competition in that room! My next big show will be at the NC Comiccon in November...until then,stay safe and have a great summer!