• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the last book you regret not buying?

45 posts in this topic

We have all been there... multiple times....

So tell me, what is the last book you passed on, whether it be at a con, LCS, ebay, or auction site that you regret not buying?

For me, it's gotta be when I had the opportunity to buy a trio of B&B #54, #60, and DC Presents #26 for $180. I know all were in at least fine shape. This was around 5-6 months ago.

This story takes me back to around the mid-to-late 1970's (and I probably told this story dozens of time here already).

After we made the four-hour trek south to Toronto to visit my grandmother, my dad brought my two older brothers and I to a comic shop on Queen Street.

We each had $20 to spend on old comics, money earned from our paper routes.

They had a "mint" original copy of Fantastic Four #1 on display behind the counter, on sale for the staggering price of $100.

I tried to convince my brothers to pool our money ($60) and ask dad for a loan of $40 to buy this one comic book that we would all own together.

My negotiation skills weren't honed yet as we ended up not buying the book.

Instead I walked out with gorgeous copies of BATMAN 151, BATMAN 194 and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 50 for $5 each.

Don't recall what I spent the other $5 on.

So there's my one big regret, that I couldn't convince them to buy this book.

A few months ago a nice raw, high-grade copy of Mystery Comics #3—possibly the Pennsylvania copy—was on eBay for about $800 (BIN). I had a couple of questions for the seller, but he didn't get back with me right away. By the time he did, and by the time I read his reply (about a day after he sent it), the book had sold. The price was good enough that I should have just snagged it.

That rarely ever happens to me. When I see something I really want and it is priced at what I want to pay, I pull the trigger. The stuff I am looking for is pretty hard to find and sometimes it is something I might not get a chance at. If I have to think about it, it usually isn't for me anyway.

I regret not trying when I was like 10 to convince my mom to buy me the AF15 that a store we were in had for about 500. Even at that age, I knew there was no point in trying to convince her that any funny book was worth 500 bucks.

2 years ago, before the blowup of Batman Adventures 12, I was debating between two books:

BA 12 CGC 9.8 (first app. Harley Quinn) $350

vs

Vengeance of Bane 1 CGC 9.8 (first app. Bane) $250-ish

But because the Batman movie with bane as the main villain had just come out, I decided to pull the trigger on that before it exploded (also thinking, "this BA 12 will be here later... it's a modern age book, yadda yadda).

Well, I kinda put BA 12 on the back burner for a while as I continued buying other books on my want list, until one day I revisited it... found out a year after deciding on the Bane book that the BA 12 was being snagged for $800+ a pop... :cry:

I couldn't afford that and was still quite bitter that I could have had it a year earlier for $500 less, so ended up buying BA 12 CGC 9.6 for $335 as a consolation... :facepalm:

Since "returning" to the hobby 4 years, there aren't too many books I regret NOT buying, but if I had to select a one or two, I'd say the entire Miller DD run. I was so focused on my Adams Batman and Smith Conan runs, I really put off the Miller DDs until now. As they say, timing is everything and now all the DD Miller books, especially #158 and #168, are commanding a premium due to the success of the Netflix TV show and rumors of what Season 2 will bring. I could have gotten these books significantly cheaper a couple of years ago.

An Avengers 1 two or three Summers ago for $500. Ad was posted early in the week, picture in the ad was tiny, the seller was a little over an hour away. Didn't feel like racing out there after work without details, and couldn't tell if the guy really knew nothing about it, or if he was being deliberately vague. As I hammer away at my run, I'm reminded more and more of that one.

Last year went to a con here in Belgium (which are few and far between) Was more pop culture than comics, but one dealer had comics and I had a pre-hype priced FF45 in my hands. Probably VG maybe FN... I think he was asking $50 for it or so...

doh!

A NM Bone # 1 for $50 at a con in Philly back in 1995.

I opted to spend $45 for a sweet NM All-Star Western # 10 instead. Told my buddy to buy the Bone -- he didn't because he'd never heard of it.

Sure, there are other books I wish I'd bought back in 1995, but that was the only one I remember where I was literally torn for an hour over how to spend $50:

Bone # 1 (NM)

I, Lusiphur # 1 (NM)

All-Star Western # 10 (9.0/9.2)

At least I didn't get the I Lusiphur, as that book stagnated shortly after Drew's death. It can be had for ~$100/$150 today.

2 years ago, before the blowup of Batman Adventures 12, I was debating between two books:

vs

But because the Batman movie with bane as the main villain had just come out, I decided to pull the trigger on that before it exploded (also thinking, "this BA 12 will be here later... it's a modern age book, yadda yadda).

Well, I kinda put BA 12 on the back burner for a while as I continued buying other books on my want list, until one day I revisited it... found out a year after deciding on the Bane book that the BA 12 was being snagged for $800+ a pop... :cry:

I couldn't afford that and was still quite bitter that I could have had it a year earlier for $500 less, so ended up buying BA 12 CGC 9.6 for $335 as a consolation... :facepalm:

Does anybody really buy this book for any other reason other than flipping? It's a crappy kiddie book for gosh sakes...

vs

Does anybody really buy this book for any other reason other than flipping? It's a crappy kiddie book for gosh sakes...

I bought one for my girlfriend because she's a huge Harley & Batman fan & I figured that would be something really cool to go along with her other Batman/Harley toys, statues, figures, and Batman dresser.