• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con report, from the other side of the table...

78 posts in this topic

what's interesting is that I gave my raw 50-500 books as much space if not more than the high end slabs...

in fact, my "wall" is an L shape...16 feet (4x 4ft) and the "L" is 4 feet at 90degrees... that's where I 'hid" all my GA....

this pic is from mega con, so slightly diff set up, but you can get the "gist"...

IMG_1157_zpsblpsjetu.jpg

I love that there's space in your boxes to actually flip through, that they're not too crowded. nothing worse than slamming through comics squeezed to death, having to pull each one up and squish it back in. That's bad for everyone, customer, dealer, comic.

These are the highlight sales, and are in no particular order, but took place over the weekend:

Hulk 112 raw

Harley Quinn NN raw

Batman 251 raw

Silver Surfer 4 raw

Batman 411 raw

TOS 3, cgc 7.5

Adventure 267, cg 9.0

WWBN 32 raw

Incredible Hulk cxxs 3.0

ASM 238 cgc 9.6

ASM 300 cgc 8.5

FF 51 raw

Incredible Hulk 5 cxxs 4.0

Xmen 1 cgc 5.5

Incredible Hulk 2 cxxc 4.5

Sandman 1 , raw

Daredevil 7 cgc 6.5 SS

Brave and the bold 34 cgc 6.0

Dr Strange 169 raw

Harley Quinn NN, raw

ASM 15 raw

AF 15 cgc 2.0

AF 15 cgc 3.0

AF 15 cgc 2.5

Forever people 1 raw

Aquaman #11 raw

She Hulk 1 raw

Wolverine 1 cgc 9.8

Incredible Hulk 180 raw

Incredible Hulk 181, cgc 3.0

Incredible Hulk 181 cgc 3.5

Incredible Hulk 181 cgc 4.0

Incredible Hulk 181 cgc 5.0

Incredible Hulk 181 cgc 5.5

Incredible Hulk 181 cgc 7.0

Forever people 1 raw

New Teen Titans 2 raw

Conan 1 raw

ASM 300 cgc 9.4

ASM 300 cgc 9.6

Great Comics #3 cgc 4.0

Batman 189 raw

ASM 300 raw

WWBN 32 raw

Xmen 4 cgc 6.0

Marvel Premier 15 raw

Batman 232 raw

2x SW 42 raw

2x Detective 400 raw

Batman Adventures cgc 9.8

Batman adventures cgc 9.6

Fantastic Four 48 raw

ASM 129 raw

ASM 121 raw

ASM 122 raw

Daredevil 1 cgc 6.5

Daredevil 1 cgc 3.5

ASM 7 cgc7.5

JLA 1 cgc7.5

BB 20 cgc 6.0

ST 110 cgc 6.5

Silver Surfer 1 raw

New Mutants 98 raw

New Mutants 98 cgc 9.8

Xmen 101 raw

Iron FIst 14, raw

ASM 1 cgc 6.0

Xmen 94 cgc 4.0

Dr Strange 169 cgc 9.0

Fight comics 31 cgc 5.0

Raiders of the lost ark 1 cgc 9.8

Marvel Super Heroes 13 raw

Batman 232 raw

House of Secrets 92 raw

ASM 50 raw

DC comics presents 47 raw

ASM 36 cgc 9.8

Journey into Mystery 83 cgc 2.5

Aquaman 29 raw

Multiple raw ASM, JIM and Avg from a SA collection I recently bought...

and a bunch of modern-bronze smaller keys (sub $100 type)...

so, all in all it was a good show for us...next is SDCC

Rick:

Thanks for the show wrap up. It's always nice to see what is actually selling from a dealers perspective. Thanks for taking the time. I did notice only two GA books on the list. Two great ones I might add. Fight #31 and Great #3. Was this because it was not a GA crowd? Or was it because you didn't bring much GA? Or maybe they were maybe a little aggressively priced for that crowd? I know I would rather keep those two than many boxes of dollar books!

whats funny (or not so funny) is several times he bought books for way more than I had equal or better copies in our booth...but he didn't want to "buy from dad " :screwy:

12-year-old boys buying comic books?!? Wow, there is hope for the future.

again, from mega con 2 months ago, but same "type" display of $50-500 raws

IMG_1156_zpssgsloilp.jpg

i guess your set-up would not scare my cheap-arse off. i don't think i saw you at NYCC....well, I guess you have a pretty long thread about that already.

Rick:

Thanks for the show wrap up. It's always nice to see what is actually selling from a dealers perspective. Thanks for taking the time. I did notice only two GA books on the list. Two great ones I might add. Fight #31 and Great #3. Was this because it was not a GA crowd? Or was it because you didn't bring much GA? Or maybe they were maybe a little aggressively priced for that crowd? I know I would rather keep those two than many boxes of dollar books!

we sold several more GA books...I just didn't report them...I left off some (accidentally)

we sold a tec 168 cgc 5.5

a superman 14, cgc 3.5 I believe

and a couple of others

IMG_1156_zpssgsloilp.jpg

i guess your set-up would not scare my cheap-arse off. i don't think i saw you at NYCC....well, I guess you have a pretty long thread about that already.

no one saw us in NYCC last year doh!

when my kid is a little older and bigger, so i can leave him with the table when i go to the bathroom, i think i might do some local shows. not javitz or any of that stuff, but maybe one of these carbonaro spectacles. i have not had a table at a show since like 1998 or so.

IMG_1156_zpssgsloilp.jpg

Hope you will try again this year. :wishluck:

tis true, on the raw stuff, I don't haggle...I already have priced at or below fmv, and hence it is priced to sell...that said, as mentioned, my son bought numerous books from other vendors that I had priced cheaper (some considerably cheaper) than competitors...maybe the higher end stuff scares folks off?

I wouldn't say that it would scare me off; I know that I flipped though some of your raw books on Friday seeing if you had what I was looking to purchase. There was a good chance you had some of them on your wall; but I wasn't looking for them in that high of a grade or price point. Most of the books I've currently been picking up to fill holes in my runs; in the $50 to $200 range with some of them going for higher prices.

I also normally ask; when shopping; if that is the best they can do on a price and decide from there if I'm going to purchase what I pulled or continue to look for them at another booth. I do this because I have a price in mind that I'm willing to pay based on the condition and you also never know if the dealer is willing to offer a lower price. I'm not expecting them to always offer a lower price each time I ask; and there has been plenty of times that I've gone ahead and still purchased what I pulled when they have said the sticker price is the best they can do. A lot of it matters if I feel that I'm getting a fair price for what I'm purchasing.

Psy

IMG_1156_zpssgsloilp.jpg

Hope you will try again this year. :wishluck:

If I were to have a chance to see gators booth, I would rather see the version he uses in the south east than the one at NYCC. For me it would be a bigger selection of stuff I can afford (based on his descriptions of how he does remote shows -- mostly big money slabs)

I know NYCC isn't too accommodating these days to comic dealers, and last year, Gator's booth was placed somewhere beyond the orbit of Pluto. But I hope that comic dealers hang in there with this con. I'd hate to walk in and find it's only Harley Yee and 600 people selling T-shirts and other drek.

tis true, on the raw stuff, I don't haggle...I already have priced at or below fmv, and hence it is priced to sell...that said, as mentioned, my son bought numerous books from other vendors that I had priced cheaper (some considerably cheaper) than competitors...maybe the higher end stuff scares folks off?

I wouldn't say that it would scare me off; I know that I flipped though some of your raw books on Friday seeing if you had what I was looking to purchase. There was a good chance you had some of them on your wall; but I wasn't looking for them in that high of a grade or price point. Most of the books I've currently been picking up to fill holes in my runs; in the $50 to $200 range with some of them going for higher prices.

I also normally ask; when shopping; if that is the best they can do on a price and decide from there if I'm going to purchase what I pulled or continue to look for them at another booth. I do this because I have a price in mind that I'm willing to pay based on the condition and you also never know if the dealer is willing to offer a lower price. I'm not expecting them to always offer a lower price each time I ask; and there has been plenty of times that I've gone ahead and still purchased what I pulled when they have said the sticker price is the best they can do. A lot of it matters if I feel that I'm getting a fair price for what I'm purchasing.

Psy

that's a reasonable approach...I don't think I had a single sale not completed on a raw potential purchase...some asked if we could do better, most saw my prices were already "better" than most and simply procured without question :)

ultimately I can tell folks that I could mark at 175 and discount to 150, but just seems more efficient if I mark at 150 to begin with.... I am not lost on the psychological exercise of getting a discount, just seems like a waste of time on a $25 comic... $25,000 is another story

Where's the part of the story where I bailed you out with Coke zeroes again?
greegy and branget again came to the rescue... who would have thought that Canadians and coke go good together :cloud9:

Where's the part of the story where I bailed you out with Coke zeroes again?
greegy and branget again came to the rescue... who would have thought that Canadians and coke go good together :cloud9:

well canadian whiskey and coke do....

I love these threads as some of us can't make it out to these shows because of life, work, etc., I know when I do I'm coming straight to your booth rick as your prices are generally better than everybody else's, also very funny about your son buying books from other dealers, you would think he could get a family discount