• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete All-Star runs in private hands...are there lots of them?

135 posts in this topic

I just looked at Metropolis and they currently have ALL but 18 issues in stock. Thats 66% of the run in one stop shopping. If you leave out the sole copies that are HG as too expensive, you can still make one phone call and be over HALF WAY home...

Go for it!!

This is not the route I'd go, as I would want to seek out a run that was largely HG (let's hypothetically say that the lion's share of the books would fall between F/VF and Vf/Nm, ideally). The Gerber photojournals list a majority of the All-Stars as being "4" in scarcity, so my interest would be in well-preserved copies to sweeten the hunt and make the run that much "extra special." Obviously this would be a long-term project, and an expensive one, and I would need considerable intervals between buying a book or two, and then buying another one. So I wouldn't be in a hurry to grab the run as quickly as possible; I'd rather take my time (a loooong time) and slowly assemble an exceptional-looking run.

in that case, financially speaking I wouldnt entertain buying a HG run. It would cost 50 to 100K or more ... and I think for that kind of money (depending on whether thats pocket change, 10% of net worth, or you need a 2nd mortgage) its not worth it. I'd rather go for the 3 and the 8 in real nice shape and call it a day.

If you want to do a GA DC run, go for Bat, Tec Action or Supes. Of course that MY preference and opinion. I dont have a strong affinity for All-Stars besidees (of course) my 1, 3, and 8. I guess at least you can say I back up my words with actions!!

Aesthetically, I love 40+ year old books that still look new. Similarly, I am awed by the fact that such fragile documents could survive for so long in such good condition, and therefore I enjoy the challenge of finding these books that have defied the odds.

My feelings exactly. 40+ year old books were not ever meant to be preserved. They were considered totally disposable, and read by a public that would have never fathomed our eventual age of "Bagz" and "Boardz." That's what makes the challenge fun for me. It really don't feel that questing for well preserved books is necessarily the equivalent of chest-thumping or ego-boosting or whatever you want to call it. I'm seeing a number of posts here along the lines of "I don't need HG to feel good about my collection", as if collecting HG comics is analogously symptomatic of a poor sense of self-esteem. Rest assured my interest in rare HG comics is solely a personal passion, and not my chosen emblem of neurosis.

So I take it nobody personally knows of any extra-special runs? I guess that's a good sign (or a bad sign, if you ask F4F! smirk.gif). I believe Sir Alfred E. Halperin has the finest known run going, though I could be wrong on that one...

speaking of paintings 500 years old. I wonder just how valuable they were considered merely 130 years after their creation? Im curious, just who owned the Old Masters works in the 1600s? And how were they [erceived at that point? Were they already considered priceless? Or was it just in the last 100 or even 50 years that they reached mythic status?

Most early painting was done for the church. it was the renaissance and the introduction of perspective and the wealthy nobles that fueled that initial art market for individuals. there were king and queens through history going after major paintings or collections. a DaVanci or Titian or Rapheal drove people nuts just like it does now. (to me anyway!)

i've seen another HG copy of 57, but it didn't compare to the MH. Awesome book!

i collect high-grade partly to help me prioritize. i love absolutely everything. i simply wouldn't have room to store or time to appreciate without restricting myselft to high grade.

I personally like trying to complete runs. I am a Batman fan so that has been my focus. I finished the Batman run two years ago. My approach was to pick up what I could find and then try to upgrade later. As I got closer to finishing the run, I got pickier at what I bought. It took me about 26 years to finish the run. This year I have upgraded 4 golden age books. For me, I guess that is part of the fun. I have finally decided to go ahead and try to finish my Detective run. Will I? probably not, but I am going to try.

At Wondercon this year, I plan to do a quick scan for Batman's I need for upgrading my collection and then focus on Detectives.

As I got closer to finishing the run, I got pickier at what I bought. It took me about 26 years to finish the run.

hail.gif See, now THIS is what I'm talking about! A dedicated bloke sets a goal, and it takes him two-plus decades to achieve it, and he pulls it off! Hats off, my man, hats effing off!!!

This is the kind of dedication that I'm considering throwing in for the All-Star run. Have I 100% decided yet? No, but I have a nice All Star "starter set" going, so I'm giving it serious thought. If all systems are go, then this is probably going to be a 26-year project too.

This year I have upgraded 4 golden age books. For me, I guess that is part of the fun. I have finally decided to go ahead and try to finish my Detective run. Will I? probably not, but I am going to try.

Amen. Will I ever have the financial means or just the luck of completing an All-Star run? Dunno, but I think I want to try, too. thumbsup2.gif

Your post was my favorite in this thread so far! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Most of my life has centered on setting goals and then sticking to then until I complete them. Batman was one, now Detective. Good luck with the All-Star. I think a complete run would be incredible, even in lower grade. I took the approach of nothing below VG, and always strive for off-white to white pages. For upgrading, at least 7.0, off-white to white.

Go for it!!!

So I take it nobody personally knows of any extra-special runs? I guess that's a good sign (or a bad sign, if you ask F4F! smirk.gif). I believe Sir Alfred E. Halperin has the finest known run going, though I could be wrong on that one...

Steve Lauterbach/Comgeek put together a HG run of slabbed All-Stars a few years ago, relatively early in the life of CGC, if I recall. I didn't collect All-Stars so I didn't really check whether it was a complete set, all the key early issues were definitely there. It was put together to be sold, of course, so I'm guessing it has since been broken up amongst many buyers. You'd have to think some nice runs reside with many of the GA BSDs.

speaking of paintings 500 years old. I wonder just how valuable they were considered merely 130 years after their creation? Im curious, just who owned the Old Masters works in the 1600s? And how were they [erceived at that point? Were they already considered priceless? Or was it just in the last 100 or even 50 years that they reached mythic status?

Most early painting was done for the church. it was the renaissance and the introduction of perspective and the wealthy nobles that fueled that initial art market for individuals. there were king and queens through history going after major paintings or collections. a DaVanci or Titian or Rapheal drove people nuts just like it does now. (to me anyway!)

Yeah. AT that time painting was commissioned by Popes and other church officials, usually religious subject matter. Then the merchant class developed with money and they commissioned portraits and religious paintings for themselves.

BUT - - what I would like to know from research is was there an after market for these works? Were they TRULY sought after by other noblemen? Or did they just prefer to commission their OWN artworks personally, rather than covet some other noblemans pieces. And were the great Renaissance artists' works considered special in 1600, just a few generations after their creation? Or were thay not yet "rediscovered, or exalted above all other artists' work. Not really knowing, I could imagine it either way...

Steve Lauterbach/Comgeek put together a HG run of slabbed All-Stars a few years ago, relatively early in the life of CGC, if I recall. I didn't collect All-Stars so I didn't really check whether it was a complete set, all the key early issues were definitely there. It was put together to be sold, of course, so I'm guessing it has since been broken up amongst many buyers. You'd have to think some nice runs reside with many of the GA BSDs.

Yep, here's that article from CGC's site:

CGC CERTIFIES WORLD'S HIGHEST GRADE RUN OF ALL-STAR COMICS

Steve Eichenbaum, President CGC, LLC, Steve Lauterbach, President Investment Collectibles (Holding All-Star 3), and Steve Borock, Primary Grader, CGC, LLC (Holding All-Star 8)

Comics Guaranty, LLC, announced that they received last week what is probably the world's highest grade, un-restored run of All-Star Comics in existence in for certification. "This is just incredible, I have seen some of these fantastic comic books before, but never all at one time." Said Steve Borock, Primary Grader of CGC, "This is something we may never see again since this run will probably be broken up and sold to different collectors. I am just glad that we had the privilege of grading these before that happens." Steven Lauterbach, owner of investment Collectibles, brought the All-Star run to CGC.

"My phone has been ringing off the hook since this became public knowledge." Said Lauterbach "I knew this was an amazing run of rare high grade comics, but I had no idea that they were in such high demand. This is the greatest collection I have ever purchased!"

When asked why he would spend so much money on CGC grading fees (Approx. $4000.00) when the comics are already so well known, Lauterbach said, "While I know I can get good money for these without CGC certification, I feel that I can get more money and a liquidity that only comes with CGC certification. These days collectors and dealers feel a lot more confident in CGC's grading and restoration detection, it has made buying and selling comics a pleasure."

Lauterbach bought the run from Daniel Kramer, a high grade D.C. collector from New York who spent many years putting it together. The run of All-Star's (#1 through 57 only missing #42) includes, #1(Larson CGC 8.5), #2 (Edgar Church/Mile High CGC 9.2), #3 1st JSA (CGC 9.4), #8 1st Wonder Woman (CGC 8.5), with a total of 17 Edgar Church/Mile High copies, 1 Larson copy, 1 Pennsylvania copy, and 2 "D" copies.

If any of these beauties are still available, Lauterbach will be offering them on his website www.investmentcollectibles.com or you can call him directly at 516-767-61© Comics Guaranty, LLC. Legal Notice and Usage Restrictions

I was going to out Dannys run..... but I had actually forgotten that Lauterbach had already sold it off. Good old Danny sure bought himself a sweet set of runs back in his heyday didnt he? . Anybody know if he is one of us, or has even heard of us or would like to contribute to our festivities and graewmln bashing??

I'm seeing a number of posts here along the lines of "I don't need HG to feel good about my collection", as if collecting HG comics is analogously symptomatic of a poor sense of self-esteem. Rest assured my interest in rare HG comics is solely a personal passion, and not my chosen emblem of neurosis.

shrunkenhead, I have to agree with your assessment. I have to say, the aforementioned comments from all the contributors were good points of discussion. I do not consider myself to be a high grade collector but I like to have a collection that has eye appeal. Though I love All-Star and World Finest Comics, my limited budget only allows me to chase anti-communist books in VF or better and I am taking my time in completing some 9.0 - 9.2 Harvey runs since they are still cheap. With that said, I do collect other books that strike my fancy. If I were chasing an All-Star run, I would shoot for the 6.5 to 8.5 range. Restoration on the key books would be all the better. If I were looking to sell my collection in the short term, I may have a different perspective. Here is one of my books that has good aesthetics but may be shunned by other collectors due to the restoration. Just the type of book I like.

AllStar8.jpg

I know this is off topic, but the misinformation about Social Security is one of my Pet peeves.

I am an Actuary in the Pension Administration field, and have been involved in this area for many years.

First off there is absolutely no Trust FUND whatsoever!!!!!! Every penny of the current and past surplus of revenue over what is used to pay current benefits has been spent on the current programs and used to reduce the current and accmulated deficiets under the UnifiedBudget approach.

When the day comes the the expenditures exceed the income ( as projected between 2012-2018) Our deficiet will begin to skyrocket. The 2042 date when the surplus is supposed to run out is a fiction and meaningless. we will have been in deficiet for so long that we will have trouble borrowing enough to finance the operation of the country.

Bush's privitation program does absolutely nothing to address the long term situation. all it does is shift a small portion of the investment risk to the individual. it also will make the deficiet increase something like 50 billion in the first year and accumulate to over 2 trillion prior to achieving any savings in the form of reduced payouts

I'll at least add to the thread with a scan of one of my few All-Star's

726142-allstar49.jpg

726142-allstar49.jpg.6e0923427d59e9f004a324cbc7d97c29.jpg

I'm seeing a number of posts here along the lines of "I don't need HG to feel good about my collection", as if collecting HG comics is analogously symptomatic of a poor sense of self-esteem. Rest assured my interest in rare HG comics is solely a personal passion, and not my chosen emblem of neurosis.

Fair enough, and point taken, but at times, it's almost come across like you're wanting us to make the decision for you (whether it's going to be worth your time, patience, effort, and money), which we can't do, or wait until you get enough encouragement from us. Only you can decide if it will be worth it for you, whether someone else every does it or not. I haven't seen anyone who's against your quest (I personally hope you accomplish it), I just don't think you should base it on whether someone else has ever done it before or not. If it's what you really want to do, I say go for it and don't look back (or look around).

shrunkenhead, I have to agree with your assessment. I have to say, the aforementioned comments from all the contributors were good points of discussion. I do not consider myself to be a high grade collector but I like to have a collection that has eye appeal. Though I love All-Star and World Finest Comics, my limited budget only allows me to chase anti-communist books in VF or better and I am taking my time in completing some 9.0 - 9.2 Harvey runs since they are still cheap. With that said, I do collect other books that strike my fancy. If I were chasing an All-Star run, I would shoot for the 6.5 to 8.5 range. Restoration on the key books would be all the better. If I were looking to sell my collection in the short term, I may have a different perspective. Here is one of my books that has good aesthetics but may be shunned by other collectors due to the restoration. Just the type of book I like.

AllStar8.jpg

That book wouldn't be shunned by me! I'd be proud to own it. thumbsup2.gif

just don't think you should base it on whether someone else has ever done it before or not. If it's what you really want to do, I say go for it and don't look back (or look around).

This is where you seem to be missing the point.

He (nor I, nor other collectors), might NOT be INTERESTED in a QUEST, if that QUEST has been ACCOMPLISHED many times over.

That was what his original post was about. Are the lots of HG runs (obviously not CGC'd) out there.

Those collectors who put together reader runs of books, are clearly not into the QUEST aspect. Basically, the only thing is to have enough money.

There are lots of books on my wantlist that I would like to have in CGC 8.0 or better. MANY of those books, DON'T even have one CERTIFIED COPY in that grade. Money is ONE OBJECT, but NOT THE ONLY OBJECT.

He (nor I, nor other collectors), might NOT be INTERESTED in a QUEST, if that QUEST has been ACCOMPLISHED many times over.

If you're looking for something that hasn't been done or accomplished in regard to comic books, I wish you luck. Chances are, if you can do it nowadays, a lot of other people can (and have), too. And just because you don't know about something, doesn't mean that it hasn't already been done many, many times over. Like I said earlier, there's nothing new under the sun, so why force that on yourself?

Those collectors who put together reader runs of books, are clearly not into the QUEST aspect. Basically, the only thing is to have enough money.

This is where you seem to have missed MY point earlier. Most of us are into one "quest" aspect of the hobby or another, it's just not that not everyone is into a high-grade quest.