• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK BEYOND (7/22/16)

220 posts in this topic

Star Trek Beyond was a good movie. Not better than the first two. But still good. Especially when it touches on Kirk wrestling with his father's legacy, and trying to convince himself he is also a strong leader focused on his crew over his own needs. It displayed a softer side to Kirk than the old TV shows where he was always in control for the most part. Other than when he ran into his Starfleet Academy friend Finnegan, and wanted to relive his younger years again.

'Shore Leave' was one of the few episodes where Kirk lets himself go to his past.

I was wondering what happened with this film, as it is not moving up that rapidly.

Why 'Star Trek Beyond' Hasn't Hit Warp Speed At The Box Office

I think the biggest problem was in the marketing. With 2009′s Star Trek, the selling point was clear: this is a brand new Star Trek, it has a cast of popular up-and-coming stars, it’s hip and more action-driven, and it revives the retro feel of the original series. Then in 2013 Star Trek Into Darkness had Benedict Cumberbatch front and center in the marketing along with a compelling story about war and conspiracy, not to mention the added bonus of initial “mystery” surrounding the identity of Khan (and had Paramount actually promoted the return of Khan instead of trying to keep it a secret beyond early production and the first trailer, it would’ve boosted the box office even more).

But this year, with Star Trek Beyond, what are the primary marketing points about the film? There was a lot that made it look too similar to the previous two films, while Idris Elba was denied a major marketing presence due to the nature of his character. Instead, we got a marketing plan revolving around trying to convince audiences this film was more of the same things they liked in the previous two installments, repeating a lot of the same footage from one trailer to the next, no clear depiction of what exactly the story really is all about, no strong sense of the villain (again, the lack of Elba in trailers and marketing was a big mistake), and that it’s the anniversary of Star Trek. Unfortunately, as much as I personally liked a couple of the trailers, that isn’t enough to stand out in crowded field. Then consider the fact Star Wars: The Force Awakens revived that blockbuster brand last year and continued to dominate the box office for the first few months of 2016, changing everyone’s perception of what sci-fi blockbusters should be in the modern age.

Which is all a real shame, because Star Trek Beyond is a wonderfully entertaining film with great storytelling and excellent characterizations, not to mention fabulous visuals and extraordinary sound.

not to mention the added bonus of initial “mystery” surrounding the identity of Khan (and had Paramount actually promoted the return of Khan instead of trying to keep it a secret beyond early production and the first trailer, it would’ve boosted the box office even more).

Who didn't know this? (shrug)

I was wondering what happened with this film, as it is not moving up that rapidly.

Why 'Star Trek Beyond' Hasn't Hit Warp Speed At The Box Office

I think the biggest problem was in the marketing. With 2009′s Star Trek, the selling point was clear: this is a brand new Star Trek, it has a cast of popular up-and-coming stars, it’s hip and more action-driven, and it revives the retro feel of the original series. Then in 2013 Star Trek Into Darkness had Benedict Cumberbatch front and center in the marketing along with a compelling story about war and conspiracy, not to mention the added bonus of initial “mystery” surrounding the identity of Khan (and had Paramount actually promoted the return of Khan instead of trying to keep it a secret beyond early production and the first trailer, it would’ve boosted the box office even more).

But this year, with Star Trek Beyond, what are the primary marketing points about the film? There was a lot that made it look too similar to the previous two films, while Idris Elba was denied a major marketing presence due to the nature of his character. Instead, we got a marketing plan revolving around trying to convince audiences this film was more of the same things they liked in the previous two installments, repeating a lot of the same footage from one trailer to the next, no clear depiction of what exactly the story really is all about, no strong sense of the villain (again, the lack of Elba in trailers and marketing was a big mistake), and that it’s the anniversary of Star Trek. Unfortunately, as much as I personally liked a couple of the trailers, that isn’t enough to stand out in crowded field. Then consider the fact Star Wars: The Force Awakens revived that blockbuster brand last year and continued to dominate the box office for the first few months of 2016, changing everyone’s perception of what sci-fi blockbusters should be in the modern age.

Which is all a real shame, because Star Trek Beyond is a wonderfully entertaining film with great storytelling and excellent characterizations, not to mention fabulous visuals and extraordinary sound.

I thought Beyond was a fine fun film, and for the record I've taken some enjoyment out of all of the new Trek films, and that first one is REALLY fun and kind of a revelation for me because I find the original cast shows and films to be really boring and in many cases just badly made films, thought I respect that there is a base that likes it from their childhood - nothing else was on.

I actually think the problem is, and obviously this is from the outside looking in, is that Paramount took the opposite trackthat they should have in marketing because Into Darkness was a successful film both critically and commercially, but for some reason the narrative was a negative one about old fans not thinking it's "real Trek". My opinion has always been who cares? That base isn't big enough anymore in terms of Blockbuster opening day support. They were so scared to market Khan in that 2nd movie, even with an ultra fan favorite actor in place, because of the irrelevant old base. They had a lot of good will IMHO after that first film (which is a BLAST imho).

I just think there is a big difference in what "real Trek" is, whatever that is, and it's place is on TV - though I've always considered DS9 by far the best Trek, which isn't a fave of a lot of people, though in my mind is indisputably the best written of the shows.

I think they have a great cast in place, and they've been blessed by being able to have two really solid directors to restart the movie franchise and htey should just own it, because these 3 movies are just fine IMHO, good sits at the movies.

After watching Wil Wheaton's roadshow about his first meeting William Shatner as a fan of the original series, kind of glad he didn't make it into the relaunch films. It seems to be the norm for him.

At least Leonard Nimoy has loads of positive stories told about him. I'd love to get the 2016 SDCC Hot Wheels commemorative they distributed.

O1x3oOG.jpg

Habitual with Shatner. People have bad days but there are enough stories, video, transcripts, 1st hand accounts, etc where we can conclude probably not that great of a guy to be around. I'm sure he can put on a good face and I'm sure he has plenty of friends but he seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

An alright movie,but nothing exciting. At the end of the last Star Wars movie I wanted more and couldn`t wait for the sequel. The latest Star Trek while entertaining didn`t have that same feeling.

Something is missing from the Star Trek franchise?

I think Leonard Nimoy was the big reason why the show was at the top,and now we can see how surely missed he is.

After watching Wil Wheaton's roadshow about his first meeting William Shatner as a fan of the original series, kind of glad he didn't make it into the relaunch films. It seems to be the norm for him.

I've never been a big fan of Star Trek:TNG in general and Wesley Crusher in particular.

But having seen Wil Wheaton's appearances on Big Bang Theory and now this, I gotta say...I think I'm becoming a fan of Wil Wheaton.

I know it shouldn't be a factor, but the fact that he's about my age and a fanboy - and thus probably gets geeked about the same things I do - I feel bad I didn't make more of an effort to like his character.

I've never been a big fan of Star Trek:TNG in general and Wesley Crusher in particular.
You are not alone.

I didn't care for TNG myself as I too was around Welsey Crusher's age as well.

I felt the producers made the Enterprise too much like a cruise ship. The Crusher character was mainly a plot device to get in trouble when necessary.

Basically, he was really annoying.

Not Wheaton's fault as a child actor, more of a writer/producer thing. Never cared for Jonathan Brandis from Seaquest either.

I think the only child actor from that eight year span on a somewhat syndicated TV show that really stood out was Jessica Alba's Maya character on The New Adventures of Flipper. She went through all the growing pains/child-in-jeopardy stuff, yet acted like she had a psychic bond with a dolphin, the other cast didn't try to. I guess that's why she was the only one to make it to Season 2. lol

This movie bombed at the box office folks!

Bombed big time!

Star Trek Beyond = Worldwide: $244,236,764

Tarzan a man who swings on a vine beat it.

The Legend of Tarzan = Worldwide: $354,660,421

btw nothing against Tarzan,but this shows me mainstream has gotten tired of Star Trek.

My advice is get a new crew and movie on from Nimoy and Shatner`s characters.

People don`t want to a see a pale imitation of them,and want the real thing.

This movie bombed at the box office folks!

Bombed big time!

Star Trek Beyond = Worldwide: $244,236,764

Tarzan a man who swings on a vine beat it.

The Legend of Tarzan = Worldwide: $354,660,421

btw nothing against Tarzan,but this shows me mainstream has gotten tired of Star Trek.

My advice is get a new crew and movie on from Nimoy and Shatner`s characters.

People don`t want to a see a pale imitation of them,and want the real thing.

It has nothing to do with the characters, and everything to do with the fact that they made a fast and furious in space, with a nonsensical storyline, predictability, and totally ignored what Star Trek is all about.

And yet, it was far better than suicide squad, and look how that POS movie has done at the box office. The only conclusion I can possibly come to is that millennials are just plain stupid.

Wow - Tarzan did more than $100 million better worldwide than Star Trek?

That's kind of awesome.

Also notable that by this weekend Suicide Squad will have done $100 million worldwide better than X-Men: Apocalypse.

I can attest, as I've seen SS, but skipped Apocalypse, even when it hit the $2 theater two blocks from my house last week.

SS might have been a dumpster fire, but at least it _tried_ to do something different. I'm a huge X-Men fan and Apocalypse is the first one I didn't see opening weekend, let alone in the theater at all.