• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK BEYOND (7/22/16)

220 posts in this topic

The Smithsonian Channel Is ‘Building Star Trek’ to Celebrate the 50th Anniversary

smithsonian-star-trek.jpg

Star Trek has had a huge influence on scientists and engineers. It’s a show that celebrated these professions and served as an inspiration to young viewers. That inspiration will receive the celebration it deserves on September 4th when The Smithsonian Channel airs Building Star Trek. Per the press release, “will follow the conservation team from the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum as they attempt to restore and conserve the original 11-foot, 250-pound model of the U.S.S. Enterprise from the original series. The special also will track the effort to rebuild a model of the original U.S.S. Enterprise bridge by using authentic set pieces and props, which recently went on display at Seattle’s EMP Museum.”

Additionally, the show will profile the scientists and engineers who are making the technology first introduced on the show from warp drives to medical tricorders to cloaking devices to tractor beams. It should be a very cool special.

:whee:

It appears by dealing with topics in the future that previously were ignored, it is causing a small bit of differences.

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

he idea came from Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the new films and penned the Beyond screenplay, and director Justin Lin, both of whom wanted to pay homage to Takei's legacy as both a sci-fi icon and beloved LGBT activist.

And so a scene was written into the new film, very matter-of-fact, in which Sulu is pictured with a male spouse raising their infant child. Pegg and Lin assumed, reasonably, that Takei would be overjoyed at the development — a manifestation of that conversation with Roddenberry in his swimming pool so many years ago.

Except Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

Simon Pegg Responds To George Takei’s Remarks About Sulu’s LGBT Status

Pegg has responded, saying in a statement, “I have huge love and respect for George Takei, his heart, courage and humor are an inspiration … However, with regards to his thoughts on our Sulu, I must respectfully disagree with him.”

Star Trek Beyond’s Zachary Quinto “Disappointed” By Star Trek’s George Takei’s Disappointment

Earlier this morning, Pegg announced that he respectfully disagreed with Takei and used the mysteries of the time/space continuum to justify Sulu’s LGBT status over in Kelvin. And now, Kelvin!Spock Zachary Quinto has announced his stance on the matter.

“As a member of the LGBT community myself, I was disappointed by the fact that George was disappointed,” the actor told Pedestrian.tv (via TVLine). He also mentioned the current film series’ alternate timeline allows for certain changes to the characters.

Quinto expressed a hope that one day Takei would “be strengthened by the enormously positive response from especially young people who are heartened by and inspired by this really tasteful and beautiful portrayal of something that I think is gaining acceptance and inclusion in our societies across the world, and should be.”

J.J. Abrams Confirms Star Trek 4 Will Happen

During a press conference to promote the upcoming release of Beyond (hat tip Den of Geek), Abrams was asked if there would be a fourth movie in the series. Though it’s been reported that it’s something Paramount wants to do, it hasn’t officially been confirmed to be in the works yet. However, according to Abrams it is:

“Yes, and there’s something that hopefully we’re figurative minutes away from talking about. But the answer is 100 percent yes, and it’s incredibly exciting.”

J.J. Abrams Confirms Star Trek 4 Will Happen

During a press conference to promote the upcoming release of Beyond (hat tip Den of Geek), Abrams was asked if there would be a fourth movie in the series. Though it’s been reported that it’s something Paramount wants to do, it hasn’t officially been confirmed to be in the works yet. However, according to Abrams it is:

“Yes, and there’s something that hopefully we’re figurative minutes away from talking about. But the answer is 100 percent yes, and it’s incredibly exciting.”

Since timelines are all messed up/different in this series I have my fingers crossed for a Star Trek movie featuring the Borg :wishluck:

Edited by Chillax23

Early reviews are incredible--26 positive, 3 negative for 90% overall Rotten Tomatoes. Given that early reviews are usually unrepresentatively high you'd expect this to go down, but still, it shouldn't plummet. Looks like it's a solid flick.

BOX OFFICE: STAR TREK BEYOND Looks Set For $60 Million Weekend After Glowing Reviews

With an impressive 93% score on Rotten Tomatoes, Star Trek Beyond looks set to to soar to #1 at the North America box office this weekend despite competition from a couple of other big new releases.

Ghostbusters (which is much better than you've been led to believe by some) only reached #2 at the North American box office last weekend, but it appears as if Star Trek Beyond won't have any trouble reaching the top spot! According to The Wrap, the Justin Lin helmed sequel will dominate with an impressive $60 million opening which means it will top Ice Age: Collision Course and Lights Out.

However, that actually pales in comparison to Star Trek which debuted with $75.2 million in 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness' $70.2 million in 2013. It's also worth noting that they cost $150 million and $190 million to make, while this third instalment came in at $185 million.

STAR TREK 4 Won't Recast Chekov

J.J. Abrams recently told the Toronto Sun that the film will not recast the role. "I would say there's no replacing him. I can't possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better." He added, "We knew going into this movie it would be a bit of a heartbreak just because of Leonard (Nimoy). We had no idea just how devastating events would become."

As for how the next Star Trek film will handle the absence of Chekov, Abrams stated that he has some ideas but he's not ready to discuss anything just yet. "I have thought about it, we’re working on it, and it’s too early to talk about it."

Simon Pegg was on a local radio show in Vancouver this morning. He said Chris Pine was the Mayor of Brandi's, lol [locals will get this one]

Assume that it's a "peeler" joint?