• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

Two things to consider. One, people set up at shows to sell their books and make money. Why would they consider selling their wall inventory in one shot? Now they can't attract anyone else over to their table to buy their remaining inventory in boxes, and if they sold the wall books at a bulk discount now they are losing on both fronts. The only way this makes sense is if they are trying to unload inventory / get out of the business, or they got asking price (which is highly doubtful),

Two, people are paying an entrance fee to get into a comic show and now multiple sellers / tables are dismantling their stuff because they sold their wall books in one shot. If someone didn't see the sales happen and walk into the show they could be turned off by the empty booths and not come back next month.

Two things to consider. One, people set up at shows to sell their books and make money. Why would they consider selling their wall inventory in one shot? Now they can't attract anyone else over to their table to buy their remaining inventory in boxes, and if they sold the wall books at a bulk discount now they are losing on both fronts. The only way this makes sense is if they are trying to unload inventory / get out of the business, or they got asking price (which is highly doubtful),

Two, people are paying an entrance fee to get into a comic show and now multiple sellers / tables are dismantling their stuff because they sold their wall books in one shot. If someone didn't see the sales happen and walk into the show they could be turned off by the empty booths and not come back next month.

They definitely did not pay near asking price since the head guy from Infinity said he didn't plan on paying retail when he was talking to the older dealer. I had the same reaction you described when I saw the second dealer packing up his stuff. I asked the dealer if he had an emergency come up since the Con had just started an hour earlier and he said he had been bought out (wall books). I think I would have made the guys buy my entire booth if they wanted to buy me out so I could go home and count the cash.

I don't think it's uncommon for customers and/or dealers to swipe a vendor's entire inventor, particularly, on the first day or just before the con begins.
That may be the the one thing a 1st-time seller may be unprepared for. I know I was. You're in a new environment, you want to be friendly, it's close to show-time and doing final prep, but visitors keep coming by to talk. By 'talk' I mean to comment on your display, any exceptional pieces they notice, how much are you asking, and what's the lowest you would accept. Then the money comes out.

During a 1st break I walked around to see most of my best offerings sitting at other tables priced for more. It was disorienting, realizing a significant mistake had been made right out of the gate.

I don't think it's uncommon for customers and/or dealers to swipe a vendor's entire inventor, particularly, on the first day or just before the con begins.
That may be the the one thing a 1st-time seller may be unprepared for. I know I was. You're in a new environment, you want to be friendly, it's close to show-time and doing final prep, but visitors keep coming by to talk. By 'talk' I mean to comment on your display, any exceptional pieces they notice, how much are you asking, and what's the lowest you would accept. Then the money comes out.

During a 1st break I walked around to see most of my best offerings sitting at other tables priced for more. It was disorienting, realizing a significant mistake had been made right out of the gate.

I understand if a dealer swings buy and meets your 85-95% of your asking price depending on how much or what is bought. I mean you are there to sell. What sucks is when a dealer grabs a reasonably priced item for the grade and then turns around to sell if for twice the price at his booth.

I understand if a dealer swings buy and meets your 85-95% of your asking price depending on how much or what is bought. I mean you are there to sell. What sucks is when a dealer grabs a reasonably priced item for the grade and then turns around to sell if for twice the price at his booth.

That's the 'edge' I'm talking about, and it doesn't take much. If they can absorb competition before the doors open, any percentage off is enough of an advantage. By the time the doors DO open their booths are more exciting, draw more traffic and can ask higher prices.

I'm only suggesting a 1st-time seller might mentally prepare with a "hey, you have good taste. Leave me your card or name and drop by after the show's over. If it's still here I'll hold it for you." type response. Why bargain away good stuff before "the demand" side of the equation even gets through the door? You paid-to-play just like they did, so why not play first?

I don't really care what people do with my books once its sold. They can take a risk of putting a higher price tag on it and maybe make a sale or they could scare away buyers with nose bleed prices. As long as they don't tell me a story about it going to a sick relative or into their never sell collection and then sell it a day later - then I'd be pissed.

As long as they don't tell me a story about it going to a sick relative or into their never sell collection and then sell it a day later - then I'd be pissed.

This doesn't matter....whatever sob story they want to tell shouldn't affect you and your business. You have your inventory, your cost basis and the margin you want to achieve.

If they meet your number, sell it. If they don't, then don't. Played out stories got old real quick around here.

Remember: everyone's a liar in Kings Landing.

This is smaller regional shows, right? I guess I'm suggesting 1st-time sellers probably meet Sturgeon's law (90% of what you brought is ker-rap). So regular dealers CAN walk around before showtime and clear the room of competition, add it to their piles. That 10% was your bearded-lady, why people would be drawn to your booth and linger, to see what else you might have. To sell that 10% off before the doors open is self-defeating. It's a small room and you sold off your sizzle.

As long as they don't tell me a story about it going to a sick relative or into their never sell collection and then sell it a day later - then I'd be pissed.

This doesn't matter....whatever sob story they want to tell shouldn't affect you and your business. You have your inventory, your cost basis and the margin you want to achieve.

If they meet your number, sell it. If they don't, then don't. Played out stories got old real quick around here.

Remember: everyone's a liar in KingsKnot's Landing.

If they meet your number, sell it. If they don't, then don't.

This. If I set up and you want to buy me out, please go right ahead. While being at a show is great, if you can save me the work of the next few hours, including loading back the car and unloading back at the storage unit, then why not.

My first local con, I took all my low priced books, I wanted to go empty handed and was able to because of a local dealer buying my remaining books at noon. gave me a chance to look around, saved my back some pain.

I don't see why this is wrong. like Brock said, if you have a number and they meet it, sell.

a bird in hand is worth more than two in a bush.

i don't understand the controversy here. if they paid a price for all his wall books he was ok with then that is between them and him, isn't it?

if having no wall books makes it harder to sell his boxed books... honestly, i don't know how true that is. it doesn't make a difference to me if there are wall books. i guess the wall books are good advertising, but i don't think it kills your table not to have them.

plus, he could just take some of the better books he has in the boxes and stick them up on the wall. quite often dealers have wall books that are just an assortment of $10-$30 books. seriously, katz comics has a huge set-up at NYCC and i don't think anything they have on the wall is more than $25.

It's gonna crash. You know how I know?

Because I'm making money....

So of course it's gonna crash, because I'm doing good.

You could pretty much blame me when it happens.

Uh oh, time to get out my Heckler #1 in VG/FN to see what I can get for it. lol

I don't really care what people do with my books once its sold. They can take a risk of putting a higher price tag on it and maybe make a sale or they could scare away buyers with nose bleed prices. As long as they don't tell me a story about it going to a sick relative or into their never sell collection and then sell it a day later - then I'd be pissed.

This. If a dealer pays my price (and by that I mean the price I quote them because I'm perfectly fine selling to them there) then they are free to try to resell. If they want to ask some silly 2-3x market price that is up to them. But be upfront about it and don't say it is for your collection if you are just planning to resell it at the same show.

This. If a dealer pays my price (and by that I mean the price I quote them because I'm perfectly fine selling to them there) then they are free to try to resell. If they want to ask some silly 2-3x market price that is up to them. But be upfront about it and don't say it is for your collection if you are just planning to resell it at the same show.

But if you got your price why care?

Because no one likes being lied to, regardless of the situation.

Because no one likes being lied to, regardless of the situation.

Indeed. Business is business, but that doesn't excuse lying or treating people unfairly.

I wish some of you would please stop comparing the 90's crash to what some of you perceive as an upcoming market crash. It makes no sense.

No one is buying multiples of new books anymore.

I would like to assume myself owning multiples of Hulk 181 is better today than owning multiples of Superman #500.

Apples/Oranges.