• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

145 posts in this topic

If they were able to buy a whole wall for 70% off then I'd have bought out the wall myself. If they bought the wall for 30% off then I'd probably have a hard time justifying buying a ton of books I've already got.

There was a small "Comic Con" at the Regional Library this Sunday for grades K-12......mostly discussions about books they like, a Pixar animator guest, and, of course, a costume contest. At least half of the attendees were girls, among them was Aishaa, an 11 year old girl that Judy and I watch while her Mother is at work. She loves comics. When girls enter the comic collecting market en masse, which they will, the market could easily double. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Chevy could hardly keep The Vette on market in the early 90s, then woman started driving them. Now a majority of Vettes are sold to women. Jimbo, i think you hit the nail on the head.

Women (and girls....) already read more than men..... and comics today have more to offer, as far as diversity goes, than at anytime other that perhaps the B&W and Indy boom of the 80's..... so to think a tipping point is on the horizon is not that much of a stretch.... the good kind of tipping point. Buying up large swaths of what's popular now may not be such a bad idea. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The 90's perhaps not ,but you can compare it to the all the rest of the collectible markets from the last couple of decades. Ask a lot of people who overpaid for custom bikes or cars how much those a worth after pop culture runup was over and the market dumped.

I don't think the Market is sustainable at the current increases but everyone has there own opinions and only time will tell. The Market will reset itself and then the true values will come out. Could take a few years before that happens.

Can you tell me 3 books right now you think will have a major correction to their true values?

FF45

WWBN32

Any "low print run" variant

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

Why would FF 45 and WWBN #32 crash when the general public acceptance of these characters are soon to expand?

Maybe a slight correction eventually like WD #1 will undergo, but still way ahead of the pre-explosion hype values.

John I agree with you,seems people can't understand the popularity of Moon Knight. You add that to a shortage of high grade copies.WWBN has always been a very popular book,and will continue to be so.

The 90's perhaps not ,but you can compare it to the all the rest of the collectible markets from the last couple of decades. Ask a lot of people who overpaid for custom bikes or cars how much those a worth after pop culture runup was over and the market dumped.

I don't think the Market is sustainable at the current increases but everyone has there own opinions and only time will tell. The Market will reset itself and then the true values will come out. Could take a few years before that happens.

Can you tell me 3 books right now you think will have a major correction to their true values?

FF45

WWBN32

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

Why would FF 45 and WWBN #32 crash when the general public acceptance of these characters are soon to expand?

Maybe a slight correction eventually like WD #1 will undergo, but still way ahead of the pre-explosion hype values.

John I agree with you,seems people can't understand the popularity of Moon Knight. You add that to a shortage of high grade copies.WWBN has always been a very popular book,and will continue to be so.

I'm not so sure on the general publics acceptance of Inhumans or Moon Knight.

I still say there's a chance we never see an Inhumans movie. That greatly depends on the success of many movies a head.

If Black Panther, Dr. strange, and Captain Marvel don't do well... Or flop, there's a chance we won't see Inhumans.

If we do, how are we sure they will be a house hold name. I just do see it.

And Moon Knight. Ask the average Joe about Moon Knight...

FF45

WWBN32

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

I'm not so sure on the general publics acceptance of Inhumans it Moon Knight.

I still say there's a chance we never see an Inhumans movie. That greatly depends on the success of many movies a head.

If Black Panther, Dr. strange, and Captain Marvel don't do well... Or flop, there's a chance we won't see Inhumans.

If we do, how are we sure they will be a house hold name. I just do see it.

And Moon Knight. Ask the average Joe about Moon Knight...

Since Marvel Studios made Guardians of the Galaxy a mega hit I think they can handle the better characters just fine.

That is my point eventually average Joe will know these characters.

Deadpool anyone. :baiting:

If they were able to buy a whole wall for 70% off then I'd have bought out the wall myself. If they bought the wall for 30% off then I'd probably have a hard time justifying buying a ton of books I've already got.

There is only one or two dealers where if I had the money, I would make a deal for many of their books. However, I would still look at all the copies from back to front before I pulled the trigger. I think the good dealers try that tactic but only with dealers that they personally trust.

From what you are describing, it sounds like people are convincing themselves of a score down the road. People readily understand there is money to be made in this hobby, however you really need to be savvy. I wouldn't just buy anything myself.

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

You're really betting on the come with FF 45. People are paying north of $300 for VG copies of an extremely common book on the hope that the Inhumans become wildly popular. FF 45 is a terrible bet right now. It's all downside with no upside, because if everything works out the way you say, it will still probably just be flat from today's prices. Note that I have no strong opinion on the high end market, as the supply is more constrained. With the low-grade books though, there are people out there with stacks and stacks of VG FF45s. The supply is nearly endless, and when the hype dies down the book almost has to trend downward. I'll put FF52 in that category as well.

I'll pick the book that everyone loves right now as my choice to lose value from here--

I bet that GPA on a CGC 3.0 AF15 will be lower in 5 years adjusted for inflation than it is today. GPA today is about $12,750. I think that that will be lower in 5 years (again, adjusted for inflation). Once again, I won't step out on a limb with the high grade copies, since they need so few high end collectors to maintain their price. However, I just can't see a way for low-grade AF15's to appreciate from here over the long term. We may not be at the peak yet, but I think we are above its long-term sustainable value.

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

You're really betting on the come with FF 45. People are paying north of $300 for VG copies of an extremely common book on the hope that the Inhumans become wildly popular. FF 45 is a terrible bet right now. It's all downside with no upside, because if everything works out the way you say, it will still probably just be flat from today's prices. Note that I have no strong opinion on the high end market, as the supply is more constrained. With the low-grade books though, there are people out there with stacks and stacks of VG FF45s. The supply is nearly endless, and when the hype dies down the book almost has to trend downward. I'll put FF52 in that category as well.

I'll pick the book that everyone loves right now as my choice to lose value from here--

I bet that GPA on a CGC 3.0 AF15 will be lower in 5 years adjusted for inflation than it is today. GPA today is about $12,750. I think that that will be lower in 5 years (again, adjusted for inflation). Once again, I won't step out on a limb with the high grade copies, since they need so few high end collectors to maintain their price. However, I just can't see a way for low-grade AF15's to appreciate from here over the long term. We may not be at the peak yet, but I think we are above its long-term sustainable value.

I hope you're right. That would be perfect with my 5 year plan!

I don't think you are though...

i don't understand the controversy here. if they paid a price for all his wall books he was ok with then that is between them and him, isn't it?

if having no wall books makes it harder to sell his boxed books... honestly, i don't know how true that is. it doesn't make a difference to me if there are wall books. i guess the wall books are good advertising, but i don't think it kills your table not to have them.

plus, he could just take some of the better books he has in the boxes and stick them up on the wall. quite often dealers have wall books that are just an assortment of $10-$30 books. seriously, katz comics has a huge set-up at NYCC and i don't think anything they have on the wall is more than $25.

Yes. A dealer usually has more wall books than wall space.

The main guy from Infinity actually said "I didn't studder - I want to buy your whole wall - want to sell some books? I've got plenty of cash"

And that right there...is why I consider them the scum of comic buying/selling.

That's horrible. I have never heard of them either, but that statement right there is enough that I hope they never show up here. Assuming they aren't already that is.

Not the first time I've heard said story....here's their website:

http://infinitycomicsllc.com/

I'll get a photo of them when I have the chance and post it. And for the record, they cannot afford a single comic I have.

nl5w7.jpg

The main guy from Infinity actually said "I didn't studder - I want to buy your whole wall - want to sell some books? I've got plenty of cash"

So because the buyer lacks social tact he is scum?

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

Simple supply vs demand:

AF 15 CGC 3.0's are fairly common and are readily available for sale today and there is no reason why supply will be short 5 yrs from now. I can see people who buy low grade copies would want to upgrade - so there are always copies exchanging hands. Different story if we're talking about higher grade copies (7.0 and above).

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

NM 98 is the most endless supply book there is and all that stupid book has it upside. FF 52 is IMO still a book you buy today that has upside. FF 45 might be capped but it is not going down anytime soon with movies and Marvel saying these are our X-men replacements.

So you picked the 3rd most important comic book of all time to go down I see.

Well good luck with that. (thumbs u

Maybe in 5 years I can also get google stock at half price as well.

2 wrongs

Variants I agree with

Simple supply vs demand:

AF 15 CGC 3.0's are fairly common and are readily available for sale today and there is no reason why supply will be short 5 yrs from now. I can see people who buy low grade copies would want to upgrade - so there are always copies exchanging hands. Different story if we're talking about higher grade copies (7.0 and above).

Not seeing your point about AF 15's though.....

I can't give you an exact figure, but it was somewhere between 30-40% of the total asking price.

The old timer dealer you referred to, was offered a similar percentage. They nearly came to a deal for his wall books and some long boxes. They offered 13k, he wanted 15k, they did not come to an agreement on price.

FF45

WWBN32

+1 on the FF 45 correction

+2

And you can add FF46 to that list as well

That's horrible. I have never heard of them either, but that statement right there is enough that I hope they never show up here. Assuming they aren't already that is.

Not the first time I've heard said story....here's their website:

http://infinitycomicsllc.com/

I'll get a photo of them when I have the chance and post it. And for the record, they cannot afford a single comic I have.

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Regardless who these guys are...who died and made you the comic god. Give it a rest all ready. :screwy:

Harsh. :shy:

I can't give you an exact figure, but it was somewhere between 30-40% of the total asking price.

The old timer dealer you referred to, was offered a similar percentage. They nearly came to a deal for his wall books and some long boxes. They offered 13k, he wanted 15k, they did not come to an agreement on price.

2k apart?

I would have taken the $13k...how long will it take to sell all of that inventory?

Take the money and run.