• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circle 8 Pedigree

18 posts in this topic

Anybody actually have a "Circle 8" book with "Circle 8" on it? I have a few from this collection but have never seen a marked one. I like my pedigrees with markings, gives them "personality". I would love to find a "marked" one. I have heard it was more a warehouse find as opposed to a collection.

You out there Howard? I heard somewhere you were responsible for locating this one.

not an original owner collection, hence it being defrocked; no more circle 8 labels.

an idea to search for one with a marking that might interest you would be to run it thru heritage's archives; the ped's name is in their titles.

I don't have any but I have seen many with the grease pencil circle 8 marking. Not all of the books in the warehouse find had it but many many did.

Wow, Brian. That Jimmy Olsen is kind of a beater (not that ever kept me from buying a book as a lot of mine are). I thought they were all un-sold newstand copies. That one appears to be a used one. I would love to hear the back story on this find. You out there Howard?

I tried calling Howard and he wasn't in. I'll call him tomorrow and get the story (I think he found part of the collection). I might have gotten the Jimmy Olsen from him out of his 50c box...and I know the collection originated in Tucson and my Jimmy has the store stamp on the back. Maybe the store sold the left over books for 8c (hence the circle 8) and that one was bought by someone who sold it back to the store after they destroyed its value... hm

I have the Circle 8 copy of the Quentin Durward Four Color book. I will check to see what if any markings it has. I bought it from Tim at the Bookery because it was a comic from 1955 with the brightest white cover imaginable.

Wow, Brian. That Jimmy Olsen is kind of a beater (not that ever kept me from buying a book as a lot of mine are). I thought they were all un-sold newstand copies. That one appears to be a used one. I would love to hear the back story on this find. You out there Howard?

No comic fits that description after Brian's had it for awhile. :D

The circle was mostly on books from 68s

The 50s comics i,ve seen generally don,t have any marking

Years ago, I had quite a few from an eBay seller who I think was located in Arizona. They were beautiful except for that dumb grease mark, and some were huge.

After a while another eBay bidder whose ID I think was LoisandClark, was outbidding me on everything.

I'm pretty sure I sold most of the ones I had because although I don't mind lower grade, the grease pencil thing was bugging me;)

I'll have to look and see if I still have any. Mostly DCs and mostly in the late 60's.

Nice man was selling them. He had a ton of books.

Years ago, I had quite a few from an eBay seller who I think was located in Arizona. They were beautiful except for that dumb grease mark, and some were huge.

After a while another eBay bidder whose ID I think was LoisandClark, was outbidding me on everything.

I'm pretty sure I sold most of the ones I had because although I don't mind lower grade, the grease pencil thing was bugging me;)

I'll have to look and see if I still have any. Mostly DCs and mostly in the late 60's.

Nice man was selling them. He had a ton of books.

LoisandClark........ oh how I hated them lol GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks Peter:)

So it was from Arizona. I don't remember the seller's name and I think I tossed out all the old eBay pages I used to keep, but I'll take a look on my computer.

I spoke to the guy a number of times, I know he had so many they were in a storage unit. He said the pages were so white because of the climate.

At the time I was trying to fill in all the Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane books, so I was buying a lot of them.

This was at least 12 years ago, maybe more. I sold my Jimmy Olsens, but still have my Lois Lane books.

The JO's were all scanned, so I'll look at those later:)

Other than that link and a little info gleaned from these boards(...like the infamous "Big Gulp Incident"), there is surprisingly little information about this group of books. The several Atlas books I have from it are some of my favorites that I have. They can be real sharp examples from a tough period. GOD BLESS...

I never "hated" them, lol...but I realized after a while, that they had a LOT more disposible income than I did;) I was way outmatched.

What was the "Big Gulp" incident?

I never "hated" them, lol...but I realized after a while, that they had a LOT more disposible income than I did;) I was way outmatched.

What was the "Big Gulp" incident?

Not sure of the details..... but I believe it involved a short box full of 10,000 dollars worth of high grade D.C.'s that a dealer was to purchase from Greg. A Big Gulp was sitting on the table edge above them and when an adjoining box was moved, the soda spilled all over them..... a tragic Rube Goldberg incident. GOD BLESS...

.... I didn't hate L&C either.... heck, they saved me a LOT of money lol

I believe I have 2 or 3.... all deslabbed. In hindsight, I should have left one slabbed as they don't note it as a pedigree on the label anymore. GOD BLESS...