• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest - FINAL RANKING

94 posts in this topic

FINAL Commentary and RANKING

What started many years ago as Nik's Grading Contest has now become the Green Eggs Grading Contest. The torch has been passed. In 2013, toro once again stepped up to claim the inaugural prize. When 2014 dawned, it was the Age of canickus, and he arose to seize the trophy, winning with a legendary 15 bullseyes out of a possible 20! Thus are the legendary grading contest stories born and passed from year to year, generation to generation.

Now it is 2015...

And so the clarion call to battle issues forth anew. From nearby towns to cities from far off lands, they come. From the far reaches of the Wintry north to the warm shores of the Southern Isles... all come to stake their claim once more and to compete for the Ultimate Prize. :eek:

144 Contestants. 20 Books. 10 Rounds. ONE Champion.

Whether they were old hands trying once again or babes in the woods learning round after round, each found that this was not an ordinary Grading Contest. Nay, it was something far more. Nary a modern was to be found. :cry: Super High Grade books were few and far between! :frustrated: Few realized that what they had stumbled upon was the hardest Grading Contest to date! :acclaim:

Some could not take the pressure and immediately dropped out. Others withdrew. We started with 144 challengers and we end with 137 challengers to see the journey to its climactic conclusion.

The ROUNDS are now over. The Mathematically Eliminated Line has done its silent and deadly duty. Quiet floods the land once again. Weary eyes lift for the final judgment!

In the end, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Congratulations toro, the 2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Champion!

2015-Green-Eggs-Trophy-m.png

Round_10-Final-Ranking.png

Special AWARD Winners

SPECIAL DISCTINCTION: LordRahl, who acquitted himself with honor never falling below Third Place!

WINNER OF LAST POSITIVE CONTESTANT IN A NEGATIVE ZONE: NONE! (makeminemego)

Honorable mention: TheGeneral, comicdey, HighStakesComics

WINNER OF HARDEST WORKING PLAYER WITH THE LOWEST SCORE: kowings

Honorable mention: freecharlie

WINNER OF THE BULLSEYE AWARD: toro (12)

Honorable mention: Azkaban (11)

WINNER OF THE MOST CONSISTENT PLAYER AWARD: TheGeneral, toro

Honorable mention: HighStakesComics, KPR Comics, rjpb, timern, UncannyX-Force

WINNER OF THE MOST GRADES OFF AWARD: kowings

WINNER OF MOST IMPROVED PLAYER AWARD (MIP): rjpb (134th to 6th place!)

Honorable Mention: comicdey (108 to 6th place!)

GRADING CONTEST Lore

There are and have been other grading contests. Many are lost to antiquity. This particular contest is patterned after Nik's Grading Contest and its history is documented here.

2015 toro - Green Eggs Grading Contest

2014 Canickus - Green Eggs Grading Contest

2013 toro - Renamed Inaugural Green Eggs Grading Contest

2012 On Hiatus - No contest

2011 On Hiatus - No contest

2010 He11blazer - The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest

2009 toro - Nik's Grading Contest 2008/2009

2008 toro - Nik's Grading Contest 2007/2008

2007 Pirate

2006 Not sure if Nik had a contest. ComicSupply had a 2005/2006 contest.

2005 Red Hook

2004 Part 2: Team Competition - Inconceivable, Rjpb, FFB, Newt Samson

2004 Part 1: Newt Samson

Special Thanks to your Host and Moderator: thirdgreenham!

Action252 kid either got a bull or a -1 on every round he played except for two instances!

This was my first grading contest, and you guys made it all a lot of fun. I'll be back to defend my Negative Zone No-Prize next year.......

My goal was to have no negatives and get in the top ten. Missed on both counts, but to feel better about myself, I'm clinging to my total of 22 grades off, which is tied for 8th least among those who completed every round.

Congrats to Toro, who is quite obviously really awesome at this.

Congrats Toro! :applause: and to Andy and Shin you guys are awesome (worship) can't wait to do this again next year :whee: what a blast

two noob questions (for those of us who weren't around back in 2010):

1) Is there a thread or some place here that talks about who Nik was and what happened?

2) Andy-- I take it you own an LCS -- where is it and what is the name of it?

thanks again-- really had fun

Nik was an incredible dude,and we lost him way too early.nuff said!

two noob questions (for those of us who weren't around back in 2010):

1) Is there a thread or some place here that talks about who Nik was and what happened?

2) Andy-- I take it you own an LCS -- where is it and what is the name of it?

thanks again-- really had fun

Nik was an incredible dude,and we lost him way too early.nuff said!

well said.

tumblr_llh87zPdRo1qcztuto1_500_zpsmvjhxt1b.gif

Thank you Andy and Shin! Phenomenal grading contest and so much appreciate your depth of expertise and personal time invested in making the 2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest extremely enjoyable, educational and most of all FUN!

Thoroughly loved the humorous banter and dissection of plausible grades elicited each round amongst fellow collectors. Hard core community play and intelligent interchange is what keeps our unique Comic Book Collection Hobby vibrant, contagious and everlasting to pursue and embrace.

Just need to secure me a copy of "How To Grade The CGC Way"; Braille Edition and attempt to place better next year. (:

Andy and Shin, a heartfelt thank you to both of you! Cheers! (thumbs u

So shouldn't toro have like a handicap at this point, or maybe we should think of a beginners and "pro's" contest. Wow 4th title, congrats!

I did much worse than last year...i think. It pays to skip rounds, maybe I'll start doing that hm

So I went back and played the game by myself. I'm not to great lol. I'm lost on mid grades and to hard the the NM stuff. I now want to slab some NM stuff I had thought was more like 9.0 but I see it's easy 9.6s

I love how you made a great list of people I can feel confidant buying a raw from. And a list of people i'll never buy one from haha

Do NOT equate grading by scan to grading a book in hand. :makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:

“This telecast is copyrighted by the Green Eggs Grading Contest for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this contest or any pictures, descriptions, or grades used in the game without the Grading Contest's consent is prohibited.” :D

FINAL Commentary and RANKING

What started many years ago as Nik's Grading Contest has now become the Green Eggs Grading Contest. The torch has been passed. In 2013, toro once again stepped up to claim the inaugural prize. When 2014 dawned, it was the Age of canickus, and he arose to seize the trophy, winning with a legendary 15 bullseyes out of a possible 20! Thus are the legendary grading contest stories born and passed from year to year, generation to generation.

Now it is 2015...

And so the clarion call to battle issues forth anew. From nearby towns to cities from far off lands, they come. From the far reaches of the Wintry north to the warm shores of the Southern Isles... all come to stake their claim once more and to compete for the Ultimate Prize. :eek:

144 Contestants. 20 Books. 10 Rounds. ONE Champion.

Whether they were old hands trying once again or babes in the woods learning round after round, each found that this was not an ordinary Grading Contest. Nay, it was something far more. Nary a modern was to be found. :cry: Super High Grade books were few and far between! :frustrated: Few realized that what they had stumbled upon was the hardest Grading Contest to date! :acclaim:

Some could not take the pressure and immediately dropped out. Others withdrew. We started with 144 challengers and we end with 137 challengers to see the journey to its climactic conclusion.

The ROUNDS are now over. The Mathematically Eliminated Line has done its silent and deadly duty. Quiet floods the land once again. Weary eyes lift for the final judgment!

In the end, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Congratulations toro, the 2015 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Champion!

Does nobody else see the work this guy puts in here?

(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)(worship) (worship) (worship)

lol I just recycled the previous year's Final Commentary. :gossip:

Time constraints... (shrug)

It was just in time too... Some Vandals cut some fiber optic Internet lines that supplies my area all the way to Sacramento. So my home Internet cut out and was lost for most of the night.

It was just in time too... Some Vandals cut some fiber optic Internet lines that supplies my area all the way to Sacramento. So my home Internet cut out and was lost for most of the night.

I could have used those vandals in my area about 10 minutes or so before I submitted my grades for the final round. :cry:

Thanks for all your hard work, sckao :applause: