• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am back

41 posts in this topic

It has been about a year and a half since my last posting here and i wanted to let everyone know what happened to me and give an update on my status.

Since the last time I was here, I faced one of the most difficult tragedies of my life, that of losing my leg in a motorcycle accident.

I had someone pull out in front of me and had to lay it down to keep from hitting them head on.

The only drawback to this was that the tail pipe ended up across my leg, causing burns through to the bone.

After spending two weeks in the hospital, I went through surgical amputation to have it removed just below the knee (Trans-tibial amputation)

I have spent the last year and change, adjusting to this, learning to walk again with a prosthesis and just getting over being pretty depressed.

If not for my wife and children I do not know what i would have done.

With all that being said though, I am actually in a pretty good place, both mentally, career wise and family wise.

I know that when i left here i had a deal or two pending with some people and i think i owed one person a partial refund on a book that arrived damaged, but i cant find the PM's or the emails on it.

If i was in the middle of a transaction with you PLEASE let me know and i will make it right if i had anything outstanding.

Other than that, I am glad to be back and ready to get back to the business of comic booking!!!!

Coming out of a trauma like that with such a focus on positivity is very admirable. Thanks for the dose of humility today sir, I'll be better for you having shared that. If i can return the favor by helping you in some way PM me, and I'll do what I can.

Sorry to hear about all of these terribly difficult experiences. :(:foryou:

Hopefully, being back here, reading the boards and chatting with your fellow comic book geeks will help to keep you positive and will prove very therapeutic. :)

After all, there are some very supportive individuals here.

So sorry to hear about this. I wasn't around a year and a half ago, but as a fellow rider I completely understand the hazards. The roads are getting worse out there every day and I feel like every single time I'm out I almost get run over by a cager. It's made me think regularly about offloading my bike.

Best of luck to you. Stay positive!

Sorry to hear man.

I had a nasty motorcycle crash caused by a negligent car driver also. Something you never want anyone else to experience. Good to hear you have recovered and now have time for funny books. I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

A friend of mine went through the exact same thing about 3 years ago (with the amputation). He had twin infant daughters at the time and was out of work for several months. Needless to say, a lot of people had to pull together to help him and his family out.

Glad to hear you're doing better now sir. It's definitely a rough thing to go through.

I wish you well in the best physical and mental states.

sadly, people on average just can't drive and we even are dumb enough to have created a device that is even more dangerous (a texting cell phone) and create more chaos. Now schools are kicking driver Ed due to budget cuts...

I'm a decorated infantry veteran that didn't have any injury once I left the military.

Now currently, I live half a life in constant pain because I got rear ended by someone that broke me into.

Life can be a MF sometimes and unfortunately you can chip that in granite.

My therapy is to be good to people and be someone that others will miss.

This earth has already met its quota of grumpy dirtbags that feels that life owes themselves something. Make a difference and the light you give will be multiplied back 10 fold.

:foryou:

Kindness is the one thing you can give and never run out of it.

It begets more kindness. That's what I'd like to believe anyway.

Welcome back from the edge! :headbang:

Dang man. I can only Imagine. I was never afraid of dying on my bike but this is my nightmare. Taking mine to the shop this weeks for repairs and selling it.

Good to have you back.

Dude I had the exact same amputation after an accident about 6 years ago. It's toughest the first year - it's a life changing experience physically and mentally. If you focus on the positive, your outlook on life - coming close to death and picking yourself back up - changes for the better. I like to think about my life before the accident and after and it's clear to me how it changed me for the better.

Plus I can step on a snake without it biting me, kick someone in the chin with a sick straight on kick due to increased flexibility and run around the track without spraining that ankle :)

PM me if you have any questions or just wanna talk to someone who's been through it.

I am not quite up to the running around the track yet, but soon!

Luckily the guys at Vanderbilt have an awesome prosthetics lab and have hooked me up with some great manufacturers of BK legs.

Right now i am fitted for the Triton Harmony BK prosthesis from Ottobock, which is just too cool for words.

Carbon fiber foot and polyester spring are super light and i actually have better flexibility than i did before.