• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Larson Fantastic Comics #1 looks pretty tasty !

44 posts in this topic

You remember what it was listed at?

I think it was on the exchange at 15k. It probably won't bring that at auction, but Fox books are pretty hot hm

Definitely not as hot as they were back in the mid 90's when all of the early Fox books were going for significant multiples of guide, especially the pedigree copies.

If this one goes for less than 15K or just over top of guide, this would represent a huge drop in price relative to guide as compared to what this particular copy was trading for 20 years ago.

I think it was on the exchange at 15k. It probably won't bring that at auction, but Fox books are pretty hot hm

Definitely not as hot as they were back in the mid 90's when all of the early Fox books were going for significant multiples of guide, especially the pedigree copies.

If this one goes for less than 15K or just over top of guide, this would represent a huge drop in price relative to guide as compared to what this particular copy was trading for 20 years ago.

Maybe I'm just shell shocked from recent auction results on books I track, but I would be surprised if this book doesn't clear $15K.

Maybe I'm just shell shocked from recent auction results on books I track, but I would be surprised if this book doesn't clear $15K.

Maybe it will, but it sat on C-link's exchange up till recently at 15K & I don't think it had a respectable nibble (shrug)

Worth noting that Fantastic 1 has the highest Universal label census count of all pre-war Fox books. Might put a cap on any potential price insanity.

And how many of these would be in the 9.0 and up grade range?

Worth noting that Fantastic 1 has the highest Universal label census count of all pre-war Fox books. Might put a cap on any potential price insanity.

And how many of these would be in the 9.0 and up grade range?

Looks like two. I should probably amend my point to be perhaps we'll only see double insanity instead of triple insanity :D

A very great book that will not crack 15K....

Looks like it did. By roughly double that.

So.

What are your collective opinions of the impact this book has had on GA collecting? Considered a grail or must-have? Any future predictions?

Thanks in advance,

Eggman

[sorry for dredging this semi-old thread, but am interested in learning about FC#1]

Thanks for dredging this semi-old thread back up as I had forgotten about this auction listing. (thumbs u

Yes, it looks like it went over most of the board member's threshold of $15K, as it finished up at $23.9K including the juice. Makes me wish I had picked it up for the then outrageous sum of $5K, but couldn't get myself to do it when the dealer had just picked it up earlier that same evening for only $3.3K from Diamond. Still, an absolutely gorgeous book as the colours really pop on this one here. :cloud9:

Strongly doubt that this sale would have much impact on the rest of the GA market since the Fantastic run is not a first tier GA title. It would have had an impact on the rest of the early Fox books, but the only problem is that all of the early HG Fox pedigree books appears to be locked away in private collections and I doubt that many, if any at all, will be hitting the marketplace anytime soon. hm:(

... the Fantastic run is not a first tier GA title.

How does this issue (#1 in general, not necessarily the Larson copy) fare for overall "collectability" within the GA line of books? What impact - or special significance - does it have in the overall Golden Age scheme of things?

I saw another post, I think, that said Fox titles were hot some time ago, but it has cooled down. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you so much for the education. I'm a newbie to the GA line of collecting.

- Eggman

Although this is an over-generalization, I view the Fox SH books in 4 tiers:

1. The flagship anthology titles: Wonder/Wonderworld and Mystery Men.

2. The second tier anthology titles: Fantastic, Weird and Science.

3. The individual titles for the 3 key super heroes: Blue Beetle, Green Mask and the Flame.

4. The esoteric titles: Eagle, Victory, Rex Dexter, etc. Some of these are rare and thus worth more than some in higher tiers.

3. The individual titles for the 3 key super heroes: Blue Beetle, Green Mask and the Flame.

4. The esoteric titles: Eagle, Victory, Rex Dexter, etc. Some of these are rare and thus worth more than some in higher tiers.

Perfect. :golfclap:

I would say that Science 2-4 would be in the top tier, and I would flip tiers 3 and 4 as the rarity of the later issues increases their desirability over BB/GM/Flame.

But more realistically, you have tiers as follows:

1) Fine/Simon covers (the exceptions would be Fantastic 1, Weird 1, and Wonderworld 3 as their prices tend to be a hindrance to many and the covers aren't as well executed)

2) Late-run WWII covers

3) Everything else