• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charlton Comics Group Appreciation and Information Thread
7 7

444 posts in this topic

The mid to late 50's sci-fi, fantasy, and horror books had some decent Ditko stories and the covers were often very nice. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

MYSTERIES OF UNEXPLORED WORLDS 11

MYSTERIES%20OF%20UNEXPLORED%20WORLDS%2011.jpg

I think some of Ditko's best work was with Charlton.

Thing 12, 15

Lawbreakers Suspense Stories 19 (an absolute classic)

This Magazine is haunted 16 (excellent cover that is often overlooked)

Space Adventures 12

Fantastic looking book! :)

I grew up in a small farming community so the comics that were available at the grocery and drug stores in my hometown were the standard DC/Marvel/Archie issues.

But when we would go on vacation or a day trip sometimes we would stop at a convenience store like 7-11 in the "big" town of Fresno and that's when I would come across stuff I didn't usually see.

It was on one of those stops that I picked this up, my one and only Charlton off the rack. I didn't usually go for the funny animal stuff but there was something about the company logo and the art style that spoke to me. And I remember the story actually being fairly decent too.

CharltonBullseye10a_zpsan8e5uzh.jpg

Awesome title, with great covers.

These are mine

SCAN0179_zpsmjeopegj.jpg

Very cool. Another one to add to my want list. Can't wait to see more.

Though Charltons were pretty lackluster in the late 60s and into the 70s, some of their earlier works were top notch. Add in Steve Ditko art on some, and there are some excellent comics that rivaled any of the competition. Some of my favorites!

+1, big time

SCAN0312_zpsst77v1fb.jpg

Beautifully rendered underwater scene.

This one is fantastic! I like the body language a lot... I wonder if it was swiped from a photograph or something. A very racy cover considering that it's post-code.

Hey, Anybody see the brass Charlton Press building sign that just came up on eBay? Now that is for the completest!

A very cool piece of history. Not sure I'd be willing to throw $11k at it, but it sure would look good at the entrance to my comics room (which is really just a large closet :) )

Sweet book....what is the first Charlton comic?

THANKS! OVERSTREET states that ZOO FUNNIES #101 (#1) is the first Charlton comic...

CGC disagrees.

<a  href=https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/12330532653_f1139f3e68_z.jpg' alt='12330532653_f1139f3e68_z.jpg'>ZOO FUNNIES #101 (1)

mm