• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charlton Comics Group Appreciation and Information Thread
8 8

534 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 1/18/2023 at 10:15 PM, lizards2 said:

Peacemaker2cgc9.2.jpg

Peacemaker3cgc9.2.jpg

Peacemaker4cgc9.4.jpg

The Peacemaker title intrigues me although it didn't hit newsstands until my childhood comic buying days had ended! I'll have to add some to my collection.

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

A lot of people put down Charlton Comics as being inferior to the more mainstream big 2. But a lot of the newer comics interior art can't hold a candle to the majority of Charltons.I have well over 500 Charlton comics covering every genre and hands down I'll take Charlton.Sure the production quality was quite a bit lower and they had a different style and not a lot of memorable big story lines but bang for the buck goes to Charlton.

On 7/12/2024 at 7:04 PM, Toz said:

A lot of people put down Charlton Comics as being inferior to the more mainstream big 2. But a lot of the newer comics interior art can't hold a candle to the majority of Charltons.I have well over 500 Charlton comics covering every genre and hands down I'll take Charlton.Sure the production quality was quite a bit lower and they had a different style and not a lot of memorable big story lines but bang for the buck goes to Charlton.

ilike the cut of your jib mister.Let's be pals

On 7/10/2024 at 12:21 PM, Hepcat said:

Charlton also published some good Westerns through the 1960's:

17-05-201183556PM.jpg

:smile:

ah Hep,you have so many nice off the path books in sweet shape.

I did a big orgamanizationing during the great hiatus and now have two ostracized boxes of Chucktons.Soon as I figure a way to post picsagain(no mobile phone for moi and digicamera gone poopoo) I gots some sharesing to do

On 7/12/2024 at 9:47 PM, porcupine48 said:

ah Hep,you have so many nice off the path books in sweet shape.

That to me is what collecting is all about! Why would I want my collection to be similar to so many others?

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/12/2024 at 10:14 PM, Hepcat said:

That to me is what collecting is all about! Why would I want my collection to be like so many others?

(shrug)

right?many of my old time friends(used to be dealers but progressed beyond after a quarter century lol) said thy wished hey could afford to just give me books rather than just sweet deals on them due to my ure love and passion for the esoteric and left behind stuff I actively sought out and dug in dollar bins depths deep to find

(imagine me visiting an out of town older fellow and him letting me loose on a basement room of boxes of oddballs he'd been just putting to the side as they were...well,oddball unheralded 'tings for forty years,many not looked at for 20..30...'soJimmers,I guess I'll pullout the cot aand you're staying for breakfast?"nah,thanks mr,I might sleep here if at all..)

On 7/12/2024 at 10:20 PM, Hepcat said:

Reptisaurus the Terrible!

'Nuff said.

:cool:

oh baby.In my dreams tonight if I am lucky,I will find a ultra rare issue of Reptisaurus versus Gorgo king size 25center and sit down at an old Towers or Woolco lunch bar to read with a malted milk next to the bubbling 'juice' machines,purple and orange and a plate of chips and sauce and...oh please mister Sandman

(Gorgo #20 was in one of my first remembered comic finds at a yard sale-well,I likely didn't get a brand new comic for ages after,minus my Papas Sgt Rock comics that were 'his' anyhow-with 7c in pen next to 12c..and seeing as I still have that and the two Boris Karloff comics an immediate fave.)

On 7/12/2024 at 10:34 PM, porcupine48 said:

oh baby.In my dreams tonight if I am lucky,I will find a ultra rare issue of Reptisaurus versus Gorgo king size 25center and sit down at an old Towers or Woolco lunch bar to read with a malted milk next to the bubbling 'juice' machines,purple and orange and a plate of chips and sauce and...

This one?

FantasticGiants.jpg

???

On 7/12/2024 at 10:45 PM, Hepcat said:

This one?

FantasticGiants.jpg

???

no no sir...A DREAM comic,IE existing only for that second of sleep it takes to produce and in my memory..pure fantasy..like alunch counter and maltedmilk and Woolworths these days eh chum?

I didget a VERY sweet copy of above from Gojira here some time ago..

and where is your Reptisaurus Specisal Edition?Is cowboy reading it???

uh oh.I hear screaming Arabic and Mandarin outside my window,sounds violent,best snoop...

brb

...and sit down at an old Towers or Woolco lunch bar....

Oh man! I remember the lunch counters in the downtown Woolworth, Kresge and Metropolitan stores in London and I miss them so much!

Kresge_zps52be753c.jpg

Here's a pic from the 1970's of the Kresge lunch counter in downtown Windsor:

kresge%201_zpsqkbb6cqc.jpg

...next to the bubbling 'juice' machines,purple and orange....

I really miss those bubbling juice machines:

71lvOQfPTJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Every Harveys and every donut shop used to have them but the last one of which I knew in a Coffee Time shop at Coxwell and Gerrard disappeared about twelve years ago. It seems that every such fast food place has switched to bottled juice.

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat