• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman The Killing Joke Animated Movie

215 posts in this topic

Watched this last night. I thought it was really good. The filler at the beginning didn't bother me as much as others. I was really skeptical before watching it but they did a really good job IMO.

Jim

Amazon should be shipping out my pre-order any time now. It's supposed to include a Joker figure specially made for the Amazon release.

:whee:

It must be doing well sales-wise. When I went to purchase the Blu-Ray at Walmart yesterday morning, there were only three copies left in the display. The clerk there said people were waiting to purchase a copy when she brought them out earlier.

Jim

Amazon should be shipping out my pre-order any time now. It's supposed to include a Joker figure specially made for the Amazon release.

It must be doing well sales-wise. When I went to purchase the Blu-Ray at Walmart yesterday morning, there were only three copies left in the display. The clerk there said people were waiting to purchase a copy when she brought them out earlier.

Jim

Now that is impressive news.

:applause:

Jim

Yup. I never see anybody ever buying a DVD/Blu Ray at Walmart and I saw three customers holding their Blu Rays.

By the way, I enjoyed it a lot. (thumbs u

I watched this last night. I'm a very casual Batman fan. I've never seen a animated movie of his.

I liked this. The 1st half was great. Reminded me of a cool show I'd watch when I was a kid, The killing Joke part was just as good. Even creepier.

Skywalker is awesome as the Joker!! I've heard how good he is and lump me in with them now. Truly great!!

Any comic fan should enjoy this.

Watched this a second time. Rare.

A problem I saw is would Batman, after seeing Barbara shot and immediately after seeing what Gordan went through, laugh? I wouldn't think so.

Jim

I thought that was the whole point of the scheme (I never read The Killing Joke-I grew up in NH-even the multiple printings were hard to find :baiting: ), to ruin someone's day to literally drive them crazy? Batman was just losing it in a release of surpressed emotion from the horrid events that unfolded.

Well, that's what I got from it.

Amazon delivered my Deluxe Edition Killing Joke Blu-Ray with exclusive while I was out last night watching Suicide Squad.

The Joker 4" figure is really cool, with a little Joker card on the front of the base.

fdPY7GY.jpg

I watched this last night. I'm a very casual Batman fan. I've never seen a animated movie of his.

I liked this. The 1st half was great. Reminded me of a cool show I'd watch when I was a kid, The killing Joke part was just as good. Even creepier.

Skywalker is awesome as the Joker!! I've heard how good he is and lump me in with them now. Truly great!!

Any comic fan should enjoy this.

I've always found the Batman animated films to be the best ones, the Superman ones in the middle and the Justice League mostly being not so good. (thumbs u

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns****

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

8. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm***1'2

9. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

10. Batman: The Killing Joke***

11. Son of Batman***

12. Batman Vs. Robin***

13. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

14. Wonder Woman***

15. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

16. Batman: Year One***

17. Superman: Doomsday***

18. Batman: Bad Blood***

19. Batman Beyond: The Movie***

20. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

21. Superman Unbound***

22. Green Lantern: First Flight***

23. Justice League: Gods and Monsters***

24. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

25. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

26. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

27. Justice League: Doom**

28. Justice League Vs. Teen Titans**

29. Justice League: War*1/2

30: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

I didn't enjoy this as much. I really wanted to as most of the animated movies are great. My favorite Batman animated movie is probably "Under the red hood"

I watched it yesterday on my iPad after everyone went to bed. But I want to give it another viewing before I make a final decision. But that opening they went with was not as horrible as people made it out to be.

I am in agreement, though. 'Under the Red Hood' is really a solid animated movie. I would love to see a live film based on that story.

So I finished watching BtKJ for a second time and can comfortably say this was worth watching.

Artwork

Though I would have loved to see an entire film done in the original Brian Bolland style, the current DCAU house style did not detract from the story. And at times they gave a nod to Bolland. Especially when they show the Red Hood/Joker transition scene.

New Material

I was really concerned when the news started coming out about the Brian Azzarello content giving a backstory to the Batman-Batgirl relationship. But it actually came together for me, as it served as a prequel of what was to come. Especially since Batgirl experiences a psychotic killer that becomes fixated on her a la Joker-to-Batman. So much so the villain hires call girls to dress like Batgirl. Batman warns her if she is not careful, she will learn what it is like to fall into the abyss. See for yourself what comes of this. But the reviews about it being all about a Batman-Batgirl sex scene missed the point of the rest of the details.

Traditional Material

I think they did a good job overall in portraying such a classic. But it is complemented by the voice acting of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. You can clearly tell it is both voice actors bringing their A-game to the show. One item they delivered on I had forgotten about with the Joker origin is in the end he admits this may be what happened leading to his creation, and that if he is to have an origin it would be better there are many possibilities. So Alan Moore didn't back DC into a corner with only one possibility.

Blu-Ray Features

I felt it was worth the purchase. In addition to the featurette covering the Joker's history and how Killing Joke came about (including famous creators noting how Alan Moore and Frank Miller helped form the 80's anti-hero/dark and gritty theme), there are two Batman Animated Show Joker episodes. And much more.

Overall

8.0/10.0 due to the solid interpretation. I would have rated it higher if the art had deviated from the DCAU house style to fully honor Bolland. But then that could have taken much longer to pull this animated film together.

Watched this a second time. Rare.

A problem I saw is would Batman, after seeing Barbara shot and immediately after seeing what Gordan went through, laugh? I wouldn't think so.

Jim

I thought that was the whole point of the scheme (I never read The Killing Joke-I grew up in NH-even the multiple printings were hard to find :baiting: ), to ruin someone's day to literally drive them crazy? Batman was just losing it in a release of surpressed emotion from the horrid events that unfolded.

Well, that's what I got from it.

Thank you for adding the spoiler additions. Didn't think about that.

Jim

Mark Hamill Recorded A Message For Jim Lee's Voicemail As The Joker

Imagine calling a close friend, or even a that special someone of yours, only to hear The Joker’s high-pitched laughter. Well, for those close to Jim Lee, that’s exactly what they’ll be hearing as the comic artist had Mark Hamill record him a personalized voicemail greeting.

Jim uploaded the whacky message to Instagram by taking a video which included the actor’s sound bite.

“So, you wanted to speak with Jim Lee? [laughter] He can’t come to the phone right now, and the reason is multiple choice. Is it A, his nine children? Is it B, his notorious struggle with deadlines? Or C, I’ve got him bound and gagged, dangling over a vat of acid? [laughter] You be the judge.”

:applause: