• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman The Killing Joke Animated Movie

215 posts in this topic

Just finished watching this...the prologue part is absolutely terrible. It was completely unnecessary and they could have come up with a better story to connect to the main storyline. The prologue part has absolutely nothing to do with the actual "Killing Joke" story.

The main part was fantastic...they added a bit more in but it was not a major draw back for it. The animation was kinda hit or miss in a few places. The shot of Joker going mad after the chemical plant accident was a great mock up of the panel from the comic.

Overall, pretty decent, but you really have to grade each part separately.

Other than the crappy prologue, the only other issue I had with it was...

The scene after the credits started...showing Barbara in the wheelchair and "booting up" Oracle. Completely unneeded! Should have ended the way the comic did...the joke...the laughing...the puddle...done!

I agree, the 'prologue' was really bad.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

I thought the Batman/Batgirl sex thing was a complete slap in the face to both characters. Batman has titanic, super-human will power. To think he'd just dive in like that shows a complete disregard and almost ignorance for the character.

Which is so strange because the people working on this film know the character like the back of their hands...

The main adaptation was fantastic. Loved it.

Just finished watching this...the prologue part is absolutely terrible. It was completely unnecessary and they could have come up with a better story to connect to the main storyline. The prologue part has absolutely nothing to do with the actual "Killing Joke" story.

The main part was fantastic

...they added a bit more in but it was not a major draw back for it. The animation was kinda hit or miss in a few places. The shot of Joker going mad after the chemical plant accident was a great mock up of the panel from the comic.

Overall, pretty decent, but you really have to grade each part separately.

Other than the crappy prologue, the only other issue I had with it was...

The scene after the credits started...showing Barbara in the wheelchair and "booting up" Oracle. Completely unneeded! Should have ended the way the comic did...the joke...the laughing...the puddle...done!

I agree, the 'prologue' was really bad.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

I thought the Batman/Batgirl sex thing was a complete slap in the face to both characters. Batman has titanic, super-human will power. To think he'd just dive in like that shows a complete disregard and almost ignorance for the character.

Which is so strange because the people working on this film know the character like the back of their hands...

The main adaptation was fantastic. Loved it.

:eek:

Why add poor story content to a classic? Better to nail this completely through test screening and ensuring what was added truly complements the original content.

Watched it, didn't care for it. The pivotal scene at the end was just off. They had an opportunity to make those pages come alive and dropped the ball. Also hated the basic cartoony art. The art from the book was so much better. Voice actors did a great job though.

+1

Just watched it. Re-reading it now to wash the bad taste out of my brain.

Watched it, didn't care for it. The pivotal scene at the end was just off. They had an opportunity to make those pages come alive and dropped the ball. Also hated the basic cartoony art. The art from the book was so much better. Voice actors did a great job though.

+1

Just watched it. Re-reading it now to wash the bad taste out of my brain.

Wow. Another miss for DC animated films. :(

I want to know where you all are watching this. It's not out on video yet and even on demand isn't until tomorrow ??

Same thing all the kids do now, just download it illegally?

I'm going to the theater tonight to see it. I'm purposely not reading the comic again yet just so I can go in with very limited expectations and my faulty memory.

I want to know where you all are watching this. It's not out on video yet and even on demand isn't until tomorrow ??

Same thing all the kids do now, just download it illegally?

I'm going to the theater tonight to see it. I'm purposely not reading the comic again yet just so I can go in with very limited expectations and my faulty memory.

Now that's the sensible approach (thumbs ulol

I haven't watched it yet, but have been reading the reviews.

I tend to buy all the animated DC animated releases, but have been noticing declining quality for a couple of years (Bad Blood was solid though.)

What I rate them by now as awful is if Shazam is in it, overusage of fart jokes or random superhero dance-offs. :P

At your local movie theatre...playing today and in some places tomorrow as well.

Jim

:devil: I was seeing who's really going to the theatre.

Meeklo already said he didn't. I was seeing if it was a trend in here.

As soon as the credits rolled the whole cinema applauded. I thought it was a great adaption, the extra plot line world well, the animation was good and the music was great!

Thoroughly enjoyed it, Conroy & Hamill the definitive Batman/Joker?

As soon as the credits rolled the whole cinema applauded. I thought it was a great adaption, the extra plot line world well, the animation was good and the music was great!

Thoroughly enjoyed it, Conroy & Hamill the definitive Batman/Joker?

Yeah it got an applause where I watched it too.

For me, Conroy & Hamill circa 1993 is the definitive Batman/Joker :cloud9:

Theatre was full and there were even a half dozen people standing, watching it on the side.

Afterwards people were in shock that that was it. Nobody seemed happy afterwards.

Almost the entire theatre groaned or laughed when the two Bats got frisky.

I thought the prologue was actually better than the rest of the story.

Glad I went cuz it definitely felt like an event, but I don't think I need to watch it again.

Jim

I didn't totally love it, but it was still pretty good overall. "Mask of the Phantasm" is still the definitive animated movie and, if this couldn't top it, I don't think anything will.

Hamill was superb and seeing the BTS featurette bookends was amazing. He really throws himself into that character.

Conroy's voice was as I feared -- it's just not as deep, strong or powerful as it used to be. I'm not sure if he tried a new spin or that range just isn't there anymore, but it lacked. I say that with the idea that his vintage performance is lauded by many, myself included, as the definitive interpretation of the character, so it's an incredibly tough act for anyone to follow, even the man himself.

Barbara's prologue was great. The Bat-bangin' was unsettling and seemed forced, but I give them credit for trying to evolve these characters beyond their small assigned boxes. They're humans, or, at least, we want to identify with them as real humans to become invested in the story, so why not try to flesh them out in new dimensions. Just like with the street girls talking about how the Joker likes to get some action first thing when he breaks out of the asylum. It was worth a shot and the majority audience reaction where I saw it was more "Yeah, get it!" than "Stop, you're ruining everything", so I think many took it lightly.

I also thought the fight scenes were particularly well done. Choreography was clear, well-plotted with realistic moves and felt powerful.

I didn't like the pacing in the "We need to talk" scene (I read that sequence as a measured, methodical delivery -- the movie went about twice as quickly as I would've thought), or the gunshot slo-mo when Barb gets shot (at least the whole sequence wasn't that way, but I prefer it in real time, so it hits you like it does Barbara with only a fraction of a second to comprehend what's happening and then it's too late). The final sequence fell a bit flat, too, which is odd since the comic has such a beautiful, theatrical close.

Oh, and did anyone else notice Jason's face a la Batman 428 when Bruce had all the Joker images on the screens in the cave? Seemed to imply that Death in the Family events already happened, which would really put this story in a weird place, continuity-wise. Not sure if they did that to acknowledge "Red Hood" which has already been released.

Again, I did enjoy it, but I don't think this movie could've been the 6-star extravaganza many of us hoped it would be. I'll buy the DVD and watch it some more, but, yeah, "Mask of the Phantasm" is still the king.

Theatre was full and there were even a half dozen people standing, watching it on the side.

Afterwards people were in shock that that was it. Nobody seemed happy afterwards.

Almost the entire theatre groaned or laughed when the two Bats got frisky.

I thought the prologue was actually better than the rest of the story.

Glad I went cuz it definitely felt like an event, but I don't think I need to watch it again.

Jim

I feel the same way. It was a mixed reaction from the theater when it ended. I enjoyed the batgirl story other than sleeping with Bruce but don't feel any need to see it again.