• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASTONISHING TALES #25 CGC 9.6

126 posts in this topic

So then you subscribe to the idea that a character can change tiers? Hmm...interesting. I don't think you're crazy either. flowerred.gif
Too bad DL has gone downhill since the failed early 90s "revival"! 893blahblah.gif

I agree it's a fine line, but I think Swampy bumped up to 1st tier in the Moore years.

It's a bit more of a stretch to suggest that Deathlok influenced Robocop and Terminator than to say Swamp Thing revitalized horror and aided in the genesis of Vertigo. The Six Million Dollar Man may just as well have influenced Robocop and Terminator. My comparison at least stays within the same medium. Vertigo was the logical next step in exploring the adult themes and mode of storytelling Moore introduced in Swampy. In fact, Swamp Thing became a Vertigo title in the middle of its run, and introduced John Constantine, who spun off into Hellblazer, one of the first(if not THE first, can't remember) Vertigo titles, which itself is well past 200 issues.

I remember reading a long time ago that Swamp Thing WAS the reason for the Vertigo line. They had things that they wanted to do in the books but did not feel that they should do them under the DC logo. When Vertigo launched there were other planned titles, but it was because of Swamp Thing.

So then you subscribe to the idea that a character can change tiers? Hmm...interesting. I don't think you're crazy either. flowerred.gif

Oh, absolutely. Characters go through transitions just like actors. Travolta was first tier around the Saturday Night Fever/Grease period, then took a dive during the Look Who's Talking years, then right back up to first tier after Pulp Fiction.

Daredevil was definitely 2nd tier until Miller came along, then lost momentum after Miller left, then rose again in popularity when Bendis brought it back to life.

Oh, absolutely. Characters go through transitions just like actors. Travolta was first tier around the Saturday Night Fever/Grease period, then took a dive during the Look Who's Talking years, then right back up to first tier after Pulp Fiction.

Daredevil was definitely 2nd tier until Miller came along, then lost momentum after Miller left, then rose again in popularity when Bendis brought it back to life.

screwy.gif

So you don't think a character can change tiers?
I think you take the character as a whole, from 1st appearance to current. So 1st tier characters would have the most exposure and popularity. 2nd Tier characters would have begun their own ascent to the 1st tier, which would include several titles under their own name, numerous guest appearances, and a movie would help. 3rd tier characters are charcters which are prominent but have not had much solo success. Maybe a limited series at best. 4th tier would encompass all other heroes who do not rate a solo series or are part of a group only.

Just the way I see it.

I would agree with that, WBN, is by your definition a tier 3, actually a 2.5, since he falls somwhere in between the def's for 2nd and 3rd. You have inspired me DL to add AT25 to my BA box, as it did make the BA Hall of Fame in the 30th OS Guide. thumbsup2.gif

So name another BA character outside of Wolverine and Punisher who has had more exposure than DL?
screwy.gif Just say that you like the character and leave it at that! sumo.gif893blahblah.gif
Where's the fun in that? That would be like Ian saying Chrstian has all the DC's. screwy.gif
It's Christine! Or...that the Superman/Bradman book is correctly valued at $4. Personally, they should value it at $10,000, as I don't think he has it! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ian DOES have the Superman/Bradman book.

So name another BA character outside of Wolverine and Punisher who has had more exposure than DL?
screwy.gif Just say that you like the character and leave it at that! sumo.gif893blahblah.gif
Where's the fun in that? That would be like Ian saying Chrstian has all the DC's. screwy.gif
It's Christine! Or...that the Superman/Bradman book is correctly valued at $4. Personally, they should value it at $10,000, as I don't think he has it! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Guess he wants the price increased to justify the crazy price that he paid. But...who really cares anyways! 893blahblah.gif

That would be like Ian saying Chrstian has all the DC's. screwy.gif

Guess he wants the price increased to justify the crazy price that he paid. But...who really cares anyways! 893blahblah.gif

Just clarifying, as you two seemed to be implying he didn't have it. confused-smiley-013.gif As to its value, I agree that scarcity alone doesn't result in a high price, there has to be demand too. It's why I can't figure out why the price of Uncle Scrooge 179 is so high. Maybe there's only 20 copies or so in the world, but are there 20 collectors in the world for this book willing to pay hundreds of bucks? I don't think so.

Just clarifying, as you two seemed to be implying he didn't have it. confused-smiley-013.gif As to its value, I agree that scarcity alone doesn't result in a high price, there has to be demand too. It's why I can't figure out why the price of Uncle Scrooge 179 is so high. Maybe there's only 20 copies or so in the world, but are there 20 collectors in the world for this book willing to pay hundreds of bucks? I don't think so.

Oh, I disagree. There are lots of people who want that book.

Oh, I disagree. There are lots of people who want that book.

Here's a few who are bidding on this auction --> Link

popcorn.gif
Worthless book. Way too common...right Rick? gossip.gif

Not common enough for my tastes. Still can't afford to buy as many as I see.

Piker. I knew Cal was considerably better than you! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Bah, who needs Subby & IM issues. Not even a real key issue.

Perez is overrated! poke2.gifscrewy.gif

You don't even want to think about going there 893censored-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

sumo.gif

popcorn.gif

sumo.gif
screwy.gif

popcorn.gif

sumo.gif
screwy.gif
Back off trollette! yay.gif

popcorn.gif

sumo.gif
screwy.gif
Back off trollette! yay.gif
Piker! Christo_pull_hair.gif