• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASTONISHING TALES #25 CGC 9.6

126 posts in this topic

Apparently you missed the part where I said Bronze Age. dork.

Hmm? No, I saw that. But apparently, *you* missed the part where I said

And you could apply the critera to *any* comic book character, not just Bronze Age ones..

makepoint.gif

Apparently you missed the part where I said Bronze Age. dork.

Hmm? No, I saw that. But apparently, *you* missed the part where I said

And you could apply the critera to *any* comic book character, not just Bronze Age ones..

makepoint.gif

Yet the whole point of this wasn't to compare Deathlok to all heroes of any age. I merely suggested that Deathlok has had a much of an impact as any hero created during the Bronze Age, if not more than most of them. The only heroes that would be on his level IMO are Swamp thing, Moon Knight, and Ghost Rider. As I said before there are only 2 heroes who exceed DL, those being Wolverine and Punisher.

Yet the whole point of this wasn't to compare Deathlok to all heroes of any age. I merely suggested that Deathlok has had a much of an impact as any hero created during the Bronze Age, if not more than most of them. The only heroes that would be on his level IMO are Swamp thing, Moon Knight, and Ghost Rider. As I said before there are only 2 heroes who exceed DL, those being Wolverine and Punisher.

Ok.

It's great DL is your favorite character. He is a cool character. We'll just agree to disagree on how popular he is. smile.gif

And if I happen across any copies of AT #25, Rick, I'll give you first dibs at them.

flowerred.gif

Ok.

It's great DL is your favorite character. He is a cool character. We'll just agree to disagree on how popular he is. smile.gif

And if I happen across any copies of AT #25, Rick, I'll give you first dibs at them.

flowerred.gif

He is not my favorite character though. AT#25 is just my favorite issue. Something you guys seem to forget.

I'll enjoy the medicority and you can enjoy the illussion that DL ranks with Wolverine and the Punisher-and Ghost Rider for that matter in the MU. thumbsup2.gif
Again, how retarded you sound. I stated above that Wolverine and Punisher ranked higher than DL. Are you still in the 9th grade again this year?

I'd have to say that Swamp Thing had a bigger influence than Deathlok. Deathlok has always seemed to be a 2nd or 3rd tier character, whereas Swamp Thing was hugely popular for a number of years.

An argument could be made that the success of Swamp Thing brought about a renewed interest in horror comics, and may very well have been the genesis of Vertigo.

What influence did Deathlok have?

I'd have to say that Swamp Thing had a bigger influence than Deathlok. Deathlok has always seemed to be a 2nd or 3rd tier character, whereas Swamp Thing was hugely popular for a number of years.

An argument could be made that the success of Swamp Thing brought about a renewed interest in horror comics, and may very well have been the genesis of Vertigo.

I would say that Deathlok is a 2nd tier charcter the same as Swamp Thing. I don't folow Swamp Thing comics, so I couldn't tell you how influential he was. Deathlok was the first cyborg in the Marvel U. and as such could said to have influenced RoboCop and Terminator. Can it proved no, but neither can saying Swamp Thing revitalized the horror genre and Vertigo.

I would say that Deathlok is a 2nd tier charcter the same as Swamp Thing. I don't folow Swamp Thing comics, so I couldn't tell you how influential he was. Deathlok was the first cyborg in the Marvel U. and as such could said to have influenced RoboCop and Terminator. Can it proved no, but neither can saying Swamp Thing revitalized the horror genre and Vertigo.
DL is 4th tier...barely! yeahok.gif

I agree it's a fine line, but I think Swampy bumped up to 1st tier in the Moore years.

It's a bit more of a stretch to suggest that Deathlok influenced Robocop and Terminator than to say Swamp Thing revitalized horror and aided in the genesis of Vertigo. The Six Million Dollar Man may just as well have influenced Robocop and Terminator. My comparison at least stays within the same medium. Vertigo was the logical next step in exploring the adult themes and mode of storytelling Moore introduced in Swampy. In fact, Swamp Thing became a Vertigo title in the middle of its run, and introduced John Constantine, who spun off into Hellblazer, one of the first(if not THE first, can't remember) Vertigo titles, which itself is well past 200 issues.

I'm reading at the 10th grade level now-and it's AT 25!!!! poke2.gif

That's a mighty big compliment considering Bronze Age Marvels were written at the 5th grade level... blush.gif

Jim

sign-funnypost.gif

I agree it's a fine line, but I think Swampy bumped up to 1st tier in the Moore years.

It's a bit more of a stretch to suggest that Deathlok influenced Robocop and Terminator than to say Swamp Thing revitalized horror and aided in the genesis of Vertigo. The Six Million Dollar Man may just as well have influenced Robocop and Terminator. My comparison at least stays within the same medium. Vertigo was the logical next step in exploring the adult themes and mode of storytelling Moore introduced in Swampy. In fact, Swamp Thing became a Vertigo title in the middle of its run, and introduced John Constantine, who spun off into Hellblazer, one of the first(if not THE first, can't remember) Vertigo titles, which itself is well past 200 issues.

So you think Swamp Thing is on the 1st tier along with Superman, Spider-man, Batman, etc.? Now who is the crazy one? screwy.gif

SO, DL, where does Conan rank in the MU, or does he not count since he was a "comicbook adaptation"? I'd say he outranks DL as well in the MU, and to me the Punisher as well. confused-smiley-013.gif
I awould agree that Conan is bigger than DL, I wouldn't place Conan above Punisher though. screwy.gif

Really, he ran slam through the BA and the CA up to ish 275....1992 I believe. Punisher is a good/popular charecter, but could never tote a title for 275 issues, plus the Giant and King size. I'd have to give the nod to the Barbarian by Crom.

So you think Swamp Thing is on the 1st tier along with Superman, Spider-man, Batman, etc.? Now who is the crazy one? screwy.gif

I didn't say "is", I said "was" during the Moore years. Remember, Moore started on the title 2 years before Dark Knight and Watchmen came out. Sure, Superman, Batman & Spidey are hugely popular, but was anything exciting happening with those characters in '84-'85? Swamp Thing got A LOT of attention in those years because there was far more complexity in those books than we'd ever seen in Supes, Batman, or Spidey.