• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other good ebay stores besides MCS?

19 posts in this topic

I tapped out all the books I needed from MCS are there other comparable stores? Not Mile High but stores that don't gyp you.

Chances are you won't stay "tapped out" from MCS for long, judging by how quick they seem to replenish stock. That being said, I have less luck with big sellers and more with independent dealers. :whee:

This is what I was hoping to hear-will check back in a few months

Chances are you won't stay "tapped out" from MCS for long, judging by how quick they seem to replenish stock. That being said, I have less luck with big sellers and more with independent dealers. :whee:

If you've shopped solely on eBay rather than our web site, I'd suggest you use our web site and add books to your want list. We'll notify you by email whenever we get a copy in, including copies that are being auctioned. If all you do is watch eBay, there are plenty of books that will come in and then sell before ever making it to eBay.

If you've shopped solely on eBay rather than our web site, I'd suggest you use our web site and add books to your want list. We'll notify you by email whenever we get a copy in, including copies that are being auctioned. If all you do is watch eBay, there are plenty of books that will come in and then sell before ever making it to eBay.

Also, no Ebay fees on their website so stuff is (usually) cheaper there.

Kav, you should just do a road trip up to Seattle and hit a few shops along the way in Portland metro. I think we have something like 15 shops with varying degrees of back issues.

Kav, you should just do a road trip up to Seattle and hit a few shops along the way in Portland metro. I think we have something like 15 shops with varying degrees of back issues.

I didn't have much luck when I was visiting Seattle 4-5 years ago. The best luck I had was the deals at ECCC (Wolvie LS #1 for $15) and Half Price Books - I hit up Xanadu Comics most memorably, and they had nothing. Where specifically do you recommend?

The "Want List" feature on MCS is sweet.

I've filled missing back issues of multiple sets of comics with it. When that comic at your acceptable grade comes in, you get an email notification. Log in, add that comic to your cart and purchase it.

Every time I've done it, I was paying a lot less than I had anticipated for those covers as well. If you've gone months on end without ever seeing a particular variant pop up on ebay, you would expect there would be a premium. But in my case MCS was surprisingly affordable as well.

MCS used to get a pretty substantial chunk of my discretionary income every month. But they're always so good at filling my Want List items, they've put themselves into disuse by completing my collections.

I guess I need to start collecting something new now. My bank account has gotten a bit fat now that they've done such an efficient job of filling my short boxes to capacity.

Recently I got the complete set of Todd the Ugliest kid on earth (8 comics) from MCS for the cost of eating lunch out.. IMO MCS is awesome (thumbs u

-Terry

We just saw a thread about how Dolgoff can't grade, and I hate how he mishandles his books, so I'd put a big red x on that one.

Not sure where that thread was at as I haven't read it, but I can say that most people in the industry find Gary to be a really good grader, and always have.

Gary also has a great reputation in customer service. Really, really straight guy to deal with.

Much like MCS, I'll take his raw VGF vs. "the field" any day.

We just saw a thread about how Dolgoff can't grade, and I hate how he mishandles his books, so I'd put a big red x on that one.

Not sure where that thread was at as I haven't read it, but I can say that most people in the industry find Gary to be a really good grader, and always have.

Gary also has a great reputation in customer service. Really, really straight guy to deal with.

Same here.

Maybe he meant the thread about the Neat Stuff lot instead of GD?

Yep, that's how I do it.

I get at least two emails a week from MCS saying that something on my want list is in stock.

This. It lets you mark what condition you are looking for, and I've been using it a lot lately for their auctions - each month when the auction starts up, it sends me a list of books that are in my wantlist (in my chosen conditions) that are in the auction. Saves a lot of time looking through the listings - I still look through them, of course, just in case I missed adding something to my list.

Same here.

Sorry, you're right, it was Neat Stuff. However, my gripe about him mishandling books still stands. Wizard World Boston, someone asked for Flash. Instead of walking around his table, he lifted some books halfway out of his bin, and bent them backwards to see what they were. :o I put back the books I'd pulled, and ran.

I didn't have much luck when I was visiting Seattle 4-5 years ago. The best luck I had was the deals at ECCC (Wolvie LS #1 for $15) and Half Price Books - I hit up Xanadu Comics most memorably, and they had nothing. Where specifically do you recommend?

Seattle is nice to visit but Portland metro has better shops. I Like Comics in Vancouver, WA and Excalibur in Portland have good back issue selections. Cosmic Monkey in Portland has lots of different things. Rumor is that a new shop is opening in North Clackamas County in September which will also carry lots of stuff.

Same here.

+1 on the kind words for Dolgoff. I've had the chance to visit his warehouse (located in a beautiful old mill) in Easthampton, MA, numerous times to peruse his massive stock, and I'm consistently pleased when what might pass for a FN/FN+ on most eBay descriptions is graded as a straight VG when Gary is reviewing the books I've chosen to buy. That said, he'll then charge you Overstreet VG prices, so you're not getting a break there... In general, though, I think you can more often than not count on his grading, and be able to buy from his eBay store with confidence. (thumbs u

Yep, that's how I do it.

I get at least two emails a week from MCS saying that something on my want list is in stock.

This is great, but several times I've had the item I wanted sell in the length of time it took me to read the email and then log on to the site. It's like a race!